Cold War Photos.

How did you stop the fuel & spare fuel from emulsifying/freezing?
All our Touring vehicles were petrol...Petrol freezes at about -60.

Back in the day, old Bedford RL's were utilised as Ops Boxes because,they were petrol and, evrything the Army used after they were taken out of general service, were diesel !

HSF

LE
The enemy used to cut it with 25% kero.

How do I know this? Because that's what the ruskie TTF op we used on a little jolly into Russia in December told me.

I was driving a civvie truck which used gallons of the stuff, and I am not sure when we handed it back to Sixt that it would ever be the same again
we added parafin or petrol to derv in LR & Befords..Couldnt do that with modern engines I dont think

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Of course, we old hands in East Germany didn't sleep long enough for the engine to get cold. Two hours was long enough for the driver. We didn't even allow him to get out of the car for more than a couple of minutes and that was to fill the brew flasks.

Of course, we old hands in East Germany didn't sleep long enough for the engine to get cold. Two hours was long enough for the driver. We didn't even allow him to get out of the car for more than a couple of minutes and that was to fill the brew flasks.
Have a fag...whilst answering the call of nature...all those hot drinks end up somewhere ! ;-)

2 hours...luxury ! ;)

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Have a fag...whilst answering the call of nature...all those hot drinks end up somewhere ! ;-)

2 hours...luxury ! ;)
We were detained at Havelberg in early 1986. Apparently I'd been seen leaving the tour car and disappearing behind a tree. My fellow officer explained that I'd merely popped out to water the tree. This led to my most entertaining detention. The Sov Div Comd treated us to lunch in the back of a Zil 131 and reminded us that Havelberg was where the Sov and British Armies made first contact in 1945.

We then had a front row seat of a Sov Divisional river crossing. Sadly no cameras, just lots of stew and sweet black tea. Ah! Vasilek.

We were detained at Havelberg in early 1986. Apparently I'd been seen leaving the tour car and disappearing behind a tree. My fellow officer explained that I'd merely popped out to water the tree. This led to my most entertaining detention. The Sov Div Comd treated us to lunch in the back of a Zil 131 and reminded us that Havelberg was where the Sov and British Armies made first contact in 1945.

We then had a front row seat of a Sov Divisional river crossing. Sadly no cameras, just lots of stew and sweet black tea. Ah! Vasilek.

I hope you've recorded your experiences BL. There'll be lots of logs and reports and assorted classified Khaki bumph, but where have you lodged stuff like this? It's priceless as it puts human faces to History and returns it rightly back to the original "his story." (You know, the one that gets feminazis underwear in a bunch.)

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I hope you've recorded your experiences BL. There'll be lots of logs and reports and assorted classified Khaki bumph, but where have you lodged stuff like this? It's priceless as it puts human faces to History and returns it rightly back to the original "his story." (You know, the one that gets feminazis underwear in a bunch.)
I'm already in a book (called Tim, not my real name) and various ladies at the NAM keep asking me for stuff.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
At the third stroke? :)
Something like that. The Sovs caught me 5 times in 2 years but they always let me off. It's called pushing the envelope with a generous sense of humour.

Useful lessons for N Ireland and especially Bosnia later.

Truxx

LE
we added parafin or petrol to derv in LR & Befords..Couldnt do that with modern engines I dont think
Technically you couldn't do it with those either - too much "washing out" of FIPs and rings, plus the kero burns very hot which kills exhaust valves

Truxx

LE
Not only cutting with Kero, start ups every 30 minutes or 15 if extreme
Back in the day anti-freeze checks were a big thing. Every friday, all filled in a book. Overnight a bottle of AL39 sat outside the guardroom window ledge, mixed to -30. The SOP was that if the bottle started to go cloudy (a prequel to it freezing) the entire transport regiment fleet would have to be started up and left running.

Greta would have shat herself.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Back in the day anti-freeze checks were a big thing. Every friday, all filled in a book. Overnight a bottle of AL39 sat outside the guardroom window ledge, mixed to -30. The SOP was that if the bottle started to go cloudy (a prequel to it freezing) the entire transport regiment fleet would have to be started up and left running.

Now, your Soviets would have drunk it. That grounded their helicopter fleet in the south in early 1985.
Anti-freeze in the winter and boot polish on bread in the summer.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Mind you, some of my lads were partial to a cocktail of naptha and skreetch in Norway so I mustn't be too judgemental.

Yep remember that

Truxx

LE
Now, your Soviets would have drunk it. That grounded their helicopter fleet in the south in early 1985.
Anti-freeze in the winter and boot polish on bread in the summer.
AL 3 was alchohol based, AL39 glycol. You could drink it but only if you were keen on projectile vomiting.

Truxx

LE
Little point in drinking antifreeze when a litre of vodka was less then a quid. So cheap in fact we used to use it as winter screenwash

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Little point in drinking antifreeze when a litre of vodka was less then a quid. So cheap in fact we used to use it as winter screenwash
The troops weren't allowed access to vodka, so they drank the anti-freeze. I'm well aware of the use of vodka for screenwash after my time in Moscow and St Petersburg.

Latest Threads