Cold War medal comes a step nearer

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by FORMER_FYRDMAN, Feb 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

250,000 veterans of Arctic convoys and Bomber Command to be honoured - Telegraph

To the eternal shame of all concerned, the 'Arctic Star' has now been confirmed - a victory for special interest whinging and something inherently unfair on other, equally deserving, sub-sections of the fighting forces of WW2 - the Mediterranean convoys for a start.

Without denigrating the contribution of those who served in the Arctic Convoys, this medal, so late in the day and created in the face of a lobbying campaign is just another populist gesture by the type of politician who rushes round the globe looking for things to apologise about and has probably never heard of PQ17.

This decision was made at the time by people who were informed by their war service and, right or wrong, that decision should have stood in my view - though the clasp for Bomber Command is a sensible compromise if 'something must be done'. Creating this piece of bling seventy years on is just ridiculous, though, now the precedent has been set, who knows what trinkets will now be showered upon us in our old age?

(and yes I know there was another thread but this is about the decision being taken by a political creature called Mark Francois, who is clearly a c0ck and deserves a special thread to be told so)

• Like Like x 3
  2. I note that in the same article they mention Lancastria as another potential group to get a medal. Where will it end.

The Africa Star had 3 clasps, it still causes much upset as to why these clasps were added (especially the 8th. Army one which seemed to ignore all the efforts and sacrifice that had gone on before El Alamein) to that one and yet no specific clasps were added to the other theatre Stars (except Battle of Britain).

Will there be a lobby group for every battle; why no Normandy clasp, why no Chindit clasp, why no Dunkirk clasp, should the crew of HMS Hood (well NOK) get a special clasp? And on and on for if one group is honoured why not all the others?.

So, yes, it is with mounting (no pun intended) dread that the BAOR, NDM lobby will now start to think they too can have a medal too.

3. FORMER_FYRDMAN

SOE/Special Forces also have a far better claim than the Arctic Convoys if we go down that route.

In my view, a very respected group of medals has been tampered with and an important precedent, that if it isn't awarded at the time, tough luck, has been broken. This opens a massive pandora's box - at what point and on what basis do we stop reviewing awards and/or creating new ones?

I've never seen anyone ask for a medal and keep their dignity. This decision is a pointless gesture and it could only be made by people with no knowledge of the history and little understanding of the issues involved.

4. I only want three clasps for my Cold War medal. Jocks Bar, Geordies Bar and the NATO Sgts Mess STC. I'd also like them before I die. Just so that the truth can be told.

• Like Like x 3
  5. FORMER_FYRDMAN

No problem with the clasps, but I'm not sure today's generation are ready for the truth.

• Like Like x 3
  6. I don't get the assumption that the Cold War lobby may benefit. All the interest groups you mention were involved in campaigns or specific battles. Those of us in the Cold War didn't fight anyone, we just waved our mighty SLRs about on the plains of Germany occasionally.

I presume that my 10 years TA service in BAOR reinforcement roles from 1983 would qualify me if such a medal or clasp were granted. But would I want it or feel proud to hold it? Does their claim stand any comparison at all with those of Bomber Command that lost over 55,000 comrades? I seriously doubt that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. They couldn't handle the truth.

• Like Like x 3
  8. for the NDM lobby, how does awarding both the Bomber Command clasp and the Arctic Medal support the case for a 'Cold War' Medal? Call me uneducated, but I don't recall, for example, 63,000 troops dying in BAOR/BFG during the 'Cold War', unlike the 55,000 aircrew and 8,000 ground crew who died during the CBO.

• Like Like x 2
  9. What about Belize! dodgy as ****..psycho latina tarts, homicidal machete-armed taxi drivers, beliache beer, a clasp at least I'd say..:clown:

10. My cynical head says this is being driven primarily by descendants of the guys who only see it as a bit of bling for the grandchildren. As mentioned above how many of them even heard of PQ17 or could find Murmansk on a map. My old man was MN at one point early in the war and if he had any bits of tin from that period he never mentioned them. That didn't stop an undignified scene after my Mothers funeral regarding all his other bits and pieces allegedly so his sisters grandkids would have something to remember him by. Sheer greed in my opinion but you had to be there to understand the vulture mentality.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

12. December 31, 1991 – All Soviet Institutions cease operation.

So was that the official end of the cold war?
    If so I joined up in Sept 1991 so I get another medal to go with my rubber GSM. Ohhhh I will look sooo swish on parade.
    Can I have a 8 wanks in a day medal for when I was in NTH?

13. hotel_california

hotel_california LE Book Reviewer

I'm still waiting for my Operation Burberry medal from 1977!

14. FORMER_FYRDMAN

Please don't take the thread title too literally - there is an element of poetic license. The question per se is whether we should have such retrospective awards or have them so late in the day, particularly for special interest groups with an effective lobbying capability.

On your specific point though, it's worth pointing out that casualty rate alone is not, nor should it be, a deciding factor. The Cold War saw more soldiers killed than the original Telic for example (and far more soldiers died from terrorist action related to Northern Ireland).

15. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges.

• Like Like x 1