Cold War Bunkers - and defensive architecture above ground

Humour. I meant to include a ;-)

Perhaps the biggest problem was not warding off a Soviet SF pre-invasion force but countering the extensive spy network. Here is one typical building incorporating a variety of spy equipment, some of which was hidden under the internal floor. A lot of ballistic submarine details were copied and smuggled out using microdots.
View attachment 546318

Many years ago now, I worked picking elderly and disabled people up and running them all around the Borough. Many of the routes were regular ones that we drove often five times a week twice a day as we picked people up and then later dropped them back home.

One such pick up was in Shenley Avenue in Ruislip and the route to it was through Cranley Drive. I’ve driven up that road hundreds of times and never knew of it’s connection to Cold War spying etc.

Small world sometimes!

Yokel

LE
I wonder if some people might think certain old buildings, with pre war art deco design or post war brutalism, are some sort of Government installation. Likewise certain buildings used for industrial or even agricultural use, or the utilities and energy companies.

Some things are just weather proofed or protected from flooding.

I wonder if some people might think certain old buildings, with pre war art deco design or post war brutalism, are some sort of Government installation. Likewise certain buildings used for industrial or even agricultural use, or the utilities and energy companies.

Some things are just weather proofed or protected from flooding.
Great for film locations, where they stand out from the norm and capture the imagination.

tiv

LE
Don't know if this fits the bill Underground Bunker

A plan of the place:

Castle Point Plan.jpg

Also a video on YouTube

Last edited:
In the US telephone exchange buildings built in the 50’s and 60’s looked very bunker like. Part of it was security, but most of it was due the switching technology being so large and bulky. Putting windows on floors with the equipment was unnecessary and reduced the available floor space.

ATT_Longlines_Kansas_City_MO.jpg

Yokel

LE
This Panorama documentary from 1980 is err....what is the word? Cheerful? Scary? Thought provoking? I like the way they show an experiment with Boeing burying industrial equipment near a simulated nuclear explosion, but did they try making an aircraft using it?

Latest Threads