Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Col Tony Salter TD

diehard57

War hero
Just heard some sad news that Col. Tony Salter TD died suddenly on Friday 6th October 2006. He was 63.

Col. Salter served with 4/5 Royal Sussex, 5 Queen's, 7 Queen's, 6/7 Queen's, 8 Queen's Fusiliers, the London Regiment and was latterly the Colonel Commandant of the Middlesex and NW London ACF.

Tony Salter was my former OC (B (Albuhera) Company 6/7 Queen's) and was an Officer and a true Gentlemen in the every sense of the word.

God Bless Sir.

Diehard, would agree with your line of "a true Gentlemen". I am sure he will also be missed at Dulwich College where he was a senior master and one-time Housemaster. He will also be missed on the Lord Mayor's Show, where he was a Marshal for many years. Tich23

Can anyone fill me in on some of the details about this gentleman? I was a priest at Dulwich Parish Church (St Barnabas) between 1991 and 1995 and used to also look after services at the school chapek (Christ's Chapel). The name Tony Salter really rings a bell, but I'm afraid for the life of me I can't put a face to the name. Can anyone help me out?

AJD Salter was a master at Dulwich College from the end of the 1960s and was involved in the CCF even at that stage. I would suggest contacting the Alleyn Club at Dulwich College for further information as there is bound to be an obituary in The Alleynian.

2 obituaries from the Times 16th October 2006

SALTER, suddenly on October 6th. Colonel Anthony John Dudley TD DLC BA. "Tony", beloved partner and soul mate of Deborah Hamlin. Territrorial Army Officer, late Commandant ACF and Dulwich College CCF. A respected master at Dulwich College, Worshipful Master of the Old Alleynian Lodge and a Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Horners. Funeral to be held on Monday 6th November at 11.00am at Christ's Chapel of God's Gift, Dulwich Village, SE21, to be followed by a private cremation. Family flowers only but donations in lieu to the Royal Brritish Legion or the British Heart Foundation, c/o W A Truelove & Son Ltd. Funeral Directors, 121 High Street, Banstead, Surrey, SM7 2NS. Tel: 01737 212160.

SALTER Anthony John Dudley. Suddenly on 6th October at the age of 63. Adored by Judith and much loved father to Joanna and Emma. He will be greatly missed by all his many colleagues and friends. Donations please, in lieu of flowers to the British Heart Foundation or the Royal British Legion c/o W A Truelove & Son Ltd. Funeral Directors, 121 High Street, Banstead, Surrey, SM7 2NS.

From the Obits it sounds as though the sly old fox wasn't quite the Gentleman you chaps report him to be... I can only hope that Judith and Deborah are not Times readers!