Col. Tims Speech Scared his Soldiers

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Thunderer, Oct 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. According to his ex RSM, Collins' speech was too graphic in talking about death and put the wind up his soldiers.

Don't know about them but I would have been a little uncomfortable anyway, that close to action (chronically speaking).

Link.

2. From the razman, that's a pretty damning criticism of Collins' judgement.

3. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

It's just hot air to publicise his own book, and generate some interest in what might not receive much attention otherwise. After all, his boss has alredy written on the subject, and I bet all the best anecdotes are already in print.

4. I used to play rugby (many moons ago) with TC.

His blokes thought he was the 'dogs gonnads' - I have not seen the bloke for donkeys years but, I do remember him quite well.

Can't help thinking and remembering that he was a 'soldiers soldier' then, when he made his speech and probably still is now. Need to be a Ranger to make an educated entry I suppose but, as an outsider who knew him socially, he seemed like a seriously top bloke.

Dragoon

5. The guys were told they had starring roles in an MOD careers ad and Collins went and blew the gaffe.

6. Really ? Care to expand ? I know a couple of blokes who were there but, not heard that before.

7. I can't expand. It was a joke in poor taste.

8. Awwwwwwwww go on, its late Friday night / early hours Saturday, its allowed.

9. Went down well at the time, now 4/5 years on someone is publishing his memoirs, so Decent Well Respected Officer gets it in the back.
    john

10. He's the LOD ffs, they need to be scared of him, not his pre-contact spiel.

11. Tim Collins was a great CO...

Dougie Beattie was also a fantastic RSM...

Whatever, hope they both make some dosh out of their memoirs. Just not by dragging everyone down in the process.

12. You sir are a Gentleman, well said.

13. All I can say is Beattie's book is full of shite!!! his claims on certain aspects/acts of Garmsir were done by other individuals of the team and not him, as claimed. I know who my money is on!!

14. Would this be the same Beattie who when asked outside the Sgts Mess by a SNCO when he was RSM how could he justify his blase attitude to his fellow Mess members replied "I couldn't give a **** about members of the Mess"? Its strange how he feels that he has now to berate Tim Collins about his speech ( oh yes Beattie now has a book out) regarding his turn of speech. Old dogs have long memories and can come back to bite you on the arse Dougie! People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, unless of course the money from your book will buy replacement panes of glass. How do I know I was there.

15. Dougie Beattie was there and he did it. More than many on this thread can say!

Now he wants to make a bit of cash out of his experiences, good on him.

Is he disrespecting his former CO? Not really. In the round, he seems to be praising TC for banishing any thoughts of complacency: this was war not Nintendo!