Col Robert Blair "Paddy" Mayne

Just watched a Sky channel series on military heroes. Last night's subject was Blair Mayne, whose exploits with the SAS were explained in graphic detail. He died in a motoring accident near his home having survived some of the most amazing encounters with enemy forces of WW2. His "kill rate" (by every possible means and opportunity apparantly) was phenomenal! Hitler personally put a price on his head. His lifestyle up to his death suggests he would not have found civilian life to his liking.
There is a Blair Mayne Appreciation Society in Northern Ireland and a statue near his birthplace in Newtonards in County Down.
Could we use someone like him today - or are the rules a little too stringent now?

Could we use someone like him today - or are the rules a little too stringent now?
You've probably answered your own question.

Agreed DodgerH - he could well have been VC and Bar - and in fact was recommmended for the VC As you say his habit of thumping people (to be fair usually those of senior rank to him!) probably affected this recommendation.
The DSO and three bars and a variety of other awards more than testify to his qualities of courage and adventure.
His last ten years until his death in 1955 were probably lived through the severest case of PTSD we could imagine - at a time when such a condition was virtually unrecognised. He became a heavy drinker; apparantly he could hold a lot, and crashed his car into a tree on his way home.
Good thing he was on our side however.

Off message post maybe, considering his pedigree. :wink: Ulsterman and famed for wartime escapades. Lot of stuff in the public doman/online. That's all I have to say anyway.

radiorental said:
Saw his medals in the Sgt's mess DOY. Of course, today in our PC world, he would have been drummed out for smacking a fellow officer.

IMO He should have got another medal for that. :D
Believe there's a statue in his hometown. Did the other one get his in Scotland?

OldStripey said:
radiorental said:
Saw his medals in the Sgt's mess DOY. Of course, today in our PC world, he would have been drummed out for smacking a fellow officer.

IMO He should have got another medal for that. :D
Believe there's a statue in his hometown. Did the other one get his in Scotland?
Yes at vast expense and somewhere were no one one could possibly appreciate it. :roll:

Perhaps yes, somewhere hidden. Well, least he got one.

Nuff said. I won't be saying owt else

radiorental said:
.Sven said:
The David Stirling memorial, the memorial was not paid for by public funds, so what does it matter what it cost ? http://www.rampantscotland.com/visit/blvisit_stirling.htm
I believe they were from SASRA funds. He may have argued, had he still been alive, that the money could have been better spent.
They were from SASRA funds and many many people donated, I imagine that those that donated were happy for the memorial to be commissioned and happy where it went. I'm sure that no member of the SASRA was disadvantaged because of it.

.Sven said:
radiorental said:
.Sven said:
The David Stirling memorial, the memorial was not paid for by public funds, so what does it matter what it cost ? http://www.rampantscotland.com/visit/blvisit_stirling.htm
I believe they were from SASRA funds. He may have argued, had he still been alive, that the money could have been better spent.
They were from SASRA funds and many many people donated, I imagine that those that donated were happy for the memorial to be commissioned and happy where it went. I'm sure that no member of the SASRA was disadvantaged because of it.
Sven the SASRA doesn't have unlimited funds. So obviously it comes down to perceived priorities. I am merely suggesating that those members of the SASRA in priority need as well as those supporting them, might take a different view.

radiorental said:
Sven the SASRA doesn't have unlimited funds. So obviously it comes down to perceived priorities. I am merely suggesating that those in priority need as well as those supporting them, might take a different view.
IMO what you're suggesting is way off the mark. What you are saying is that the SASRA has had the memorial built whilst ignoring members requests for help. If you are a member of the SASRA and you think that then you should have made your objection known.

Popping back in, what I heard was "**** the statue"
Maybe true, maybe not. Pops back out....I started this u know 8O ...

What an awesome bloke. The brass really jipped him by not giving him a VC instead of all those DSOs. Certainly deserved one and maybe a bar.
Inspirational stuff.
Tragic to have died in a car crash after the shit he went through in the war.

Albert Jacka, a Aussie from WW1 was a similar character. Always knocking heads and hitting senior officers. He got a VC as a LCPL and in most historians opinion should have got a Bar. Instead got a couple of MC's due to being in the shit most of the time.

.Sven said:
radiorental said:
Sven the SASRA doesn't have unlimited funds. So obviously it comes down to perceived priorities. I am merely suggesating that those in priority need as well as those supporting them, might take a different view.
IMO what you're suggesting is way off the mark. What you are saying is that the SASRA has had the memorial built whilst ignoring members requests for help. If you are a member of the SASRA and you think that then you should have made your objection known.
Thats not my claim. I have absolutely no doubt that the SASRA would ever ignore a members request for help. The decision however was a democratic one. So obviously there will have been those in the minority who did make their objections known.

However NOT every desicion (democratic maybe) is the right one IMHO.

Is The Baron, Bobby Ball? :lol:

Sorry folks - did not mean to start an argument about money spent on memorials. However I think we should reflect on the sort of people Blair Mayne and David Stirling were. Without them and others less well known we might have a different - and worse - world today, bad as it is.
The memorial in Newtonards was paid for by public subscription following a campaign by an enthusiastic bunch of (yes!) Ulstermen who felt that Blair Mayne had been forgotten by a less than grateful nation (today's PC world frowns on people who sneak into the opposing camp and garotte a few unsuspecting enemy.)
It is no coincidence that the same area provides much of the energy which ensures that the exploits of the 36th (Ulster) Division on the 1st July 1916 will also never be forgotten.