Col Mendonca speaks out.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Perevodchik, Sep 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. And this story is being repeated for what reason? There's nothing new in what's been written, no revelations and noteably no acceptance that he was responsible for the conduct of his Battalion. Happy to receive medals on behalf of their efforts of course, but not so happy when having to take it on the chin when they f*ck up.

He comes over as a whinger.

BTW, who did kill Mr Moussa?
  2. Bugger, I thought this was Clive Mendonca speaks out.

Back to the Rugby.
  3. And what has been done?

Why not to jail the thieves and return money. Such development would win many 'hearts and minds'.

No, if Col Mendonca would jail immediately the thieves then Baha Mousa would be likely alive. and anyway col.Mendonca could immediately severy punish, jail those who was guily. It hasn't been done.
  4. Nice picture that goes with the story though. Looks like a very difficult patrol from the accomodation to the cookhouse at Basra Palace.

'On patrol: British forces in Basra'

5. They could have put his CSM Iraq ribbon on the right way to collect his DSO
  6. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

His career was in bits after the incident and rightly so. What did he do to the perpetrators and their seniors? SFA. If he had the moral courage that he was decorated for then he would have shopped himself and his batallion.
    Now he is able to "speak out" no doubt he also looks forwards to receiving large wads of cash. The best thing he could do is publically forward this to The Iraqis killed or injured whilst he was in command.
  7. I'm afraid he joins the ranks of other ex-Colonels who dominate our media. Bonking Bob, Tim Collins and now Mendonca. Perhaps they can start a supergroup or something. Is an ex-Colonels Pension so insignificant? I suppose they all need to make a living.
  8. This is the run up to the book launch, I'd put money on it.
  9. i was attached to his battalion during that tour. He bears the responsibility for the actions of his men pure and simple. all commanders whatever their rank know this.

there were things going on with that battalion that will come out eventually, hopefully when we are long gone from that shi t hole, that made me ashamed of the uniform i was wearing.
  10. I have taken Col Mendonca's side during various debates on ARRSE but you are not the first person attached to QLR who I have heard say that. I have changed my views accordingly.
  11. Quite right, I refer to it as the 'Sacked Colonels Club'. I was a little surprised that this happened now because I thought that he had gone the go quietly with dignity option rather than follow those who can not get away from hearing the sound of their own voices. When will the media wake up to the fact that these individuals displayed potential and when they were at the most testing point in their career performed in a manner in which their employer decided to dispense with their services. Hardly the foundation for 'Expert Opinion'. I think that Biscuits is probably right, there's a book on the way and no the profits won't be shared with the rest of the Bn.
  12. Believe me, when they came back, there were one or two phones which never stopped ringing.....and one or two arrses which haven't stopped twithcing since. By dragging this up, The Daily Hate runs the risk of opening the can of worms, which it really and truly does not want to open.
  13. I was in the same boat as Dilfor. Very disturbing.
  14. I'm afraid to say that I also heard equally bad stories from peers who served with the QLR on that tour.

I know that it was a difficult deployment and that I wasn't on it. I don't doubt that much is open to interpretation & misunderstanding and that judgements made with hindsight & in comfort can be unfair.

But I, and many others, served in Iraq. We know what standards our officers and soldiers must work to. I think there is strong evidence that elements of the QLR fell beneath them.

I can't really think of an appropriate forum for the anecdotal criticisms to come out. But the failure of the trial - the most appropriate and legitimate forum - to account for Mr Moussa's death has handed a weapon to all opponents of our Army and our involvement in Iraq.

A man was beaten to death in our custody, with no justice for his family or recorded for history. The word "shameful" is often bandied around, especially by those who were against our involvement. I can think of nothing else about our involvement which deserves that description, and so badly.

The point is - Colonel Mendonca was responsible for every aspect of his regiment. One of the hardest things to get used to as a commander is that authority can be delegated, but never responsibility. He was the Battalion - and so has to shoulder all praise and criticism of it. He seems to have accepted the former, but not the latter. I don't doubt that he has suffered in career and personal terms, but these are the consequences of his command.

I've no doubt he feels hard done by but he must be intelligent enough to realise that his wound will not heal with celebrity. He doesn't need the money, or to explain his side. It has been represented, at length. He should get on with his life. I only wish Mr Mousa could too.