Col Jorge Mendonca and others cleared - just out on BBC

THANK GOD FOR THAT!!!

Common sense prevails.

In typical UK gobment fashion, this was a fückin' long time coming. But at least justice was served and the right decision reached. It should never have got this far in the first place.

MsG

Common sense and a lack of credible evidence. :thumright:

Well done to all. I eagerly await the full and frank apology that you individually will receive from the MOD. :pissedoff:

fastmedic

Good work. Hope Col Mendonca and the others are now free to return to work.

Setting aside the rights and wrongs of bringing this case, or the qty/quality of sp they received from the C of C both whilst it was ongoing and hereafter, or the fact that justice has been seen to be done, the simple reality is that the life will have been completely sucked out of the majority of these guys, and it is unlikely they will have the heart to continue to serve. Same happened to Tim Collins.

Our loss, the enemy's (and this noun is used a pretty wide-ranging sense) gain.

PAW

Jorge Mendonca should now begin the process of seeking just compensation for the shoddy and spiteful way he and his fellow (now acquitted) accused have been treated. A combination of back sliding politicians with a disgraceful agenda and a senior army officer motivated by an equally nefarious agenda must now feel the true consequences of their actions.

His career has been blighted; he and his family have suffered months of uncertainty and complete lack of any 'top cover' from those he thought he might count on. They are all tainted by their unwillingness to stand up and be counted. JM is an effing good soldier - unworthy of this shameful episode and he would certainly have never treated his subordinates in the
underhand and disloyal way he has been treated.

I hope he makes zillions of squiddies.

Cholmondley-Warner said:
Papa_Lazarou said:
i cant help but think that they wont feel too gratefull to the MoD.
Quite. And stand by for some interesting recompense claims......
Really? A bloke died and some detainees were roughed up. The incident was investigated as it has to be in this day and age. The legal bods felt that there was a case to answer, a judge thought otherwise. Why does everyone automatically have a right to claim huge wads of compensation when they are investigated for a crime these days?

jonny3979 said:
Cholmondley-Warner said:
Papa_Lazarou said:
Really? A bloke died and some detainees were roughed up. The incident was investigated as it has to be in this day and age. The legal bods felt that there was a case to answer, a judge thought otherwise. Why does everyone automatically have a right to claim huge wads of compensation when they are investigated for a crime these days?
Yes. Really. Nothing is ever quite as it seems......

Good news. However as P_L says I don't think those concerned will be pleased with being hung out to dry by the MoD.

Imagine if they'd been found guilty though - it would show that sh!t can roll up hill. If it could make it to the CO it would have been able to go higher. Although I can't see Bliar ever being put in a dock he, amongst others, must have been a little worried!

B

Biscuits_AB

Storeman Norman said:
jonny3979 said:
Cholmondley-Warner said:
Papa_Lazarou said:
Yes. Really. Nothing is ever quite as it seems......
Meaning?

Biscuits_AB said:
Meaning that this was never a simple case of individual allegedly beats up prisoner, prisoner dies, individual goes into dock etc etc. It was much, much more than that. JM and the other people supposedly associated with this incident were dragged into the whole sorry fucking mess by the most tenuous of evidence (and I can only assume that after the Prosecution had offered their case and the Defence had pleaded that there was no case to answer that the evidence was indeed as flimsy as a flimsy thing). They were put there in order to assuage the guilt complex which was trying to make the CoC accountable - but only so far. In the end it didn't work. JM and his fellow accused were put in the line of fire in order to prove a point, in attempting to do so their careers have been ruined - and, as someone above so eloquently puts, they have had any enthusiasm sucked out of them. Fucking great. Now what? Carry on as if nothing has happened?

Storeman Norman said:
Biscuits_AB said:
Meaning that this was never a simple case of individual allegedly beats up prisoner, prisoner dies, individual goes into dock etc etc. It was much, much more than that. JM and the other people supposedly associated with this incident were dragged into the whole sorry fucking mess by the most tenuous of evidence (and I can only assume that after the Prosecution had offered their case and the Defence had pleaded that there was no case to answer that the evidence was indeed as flimsy as a flimsy thing). They were put there in order to assuage the guilt complex which was trying to make the CoC accountable - but only so far. In the end it didn't work. JM and his fellow accused were put in the line of fire in order to prove a point, in attempting to do so their careers have been ruined - and, as someone above so eloquently puts, they have had any enthusiasm sucked out of them. Fucking great. Now what? Carry on as if nothing has happened?
Do you have proof of this or is this just your opinion?

"Really? A bloke died and some detainees were roughed up. The incident was investigated as it has to be in this day and age. The legal bods felt that there was a case to answer, a judge thought otherwise. Why does everyone automatically have a right to claim huge wads of compensation when they are investigated for a crime these days?"

And to some extent i might agree if a court found the defendants not guilty, that is not the case here, the JAG had to intervene and call a halt to the proceedings as there was no case to answer. This is very different and leaves the floor open for legal recompense as it allows for a suggestion that the evidence simply did not exist but prosecution was commenced anyway.

If this case had been reviewed prior to prosecution then legal advice would have highlighted that. So it would be fair to say that prosecution went ahead despite legal failings, and the reason why is the basis for any claim.

Malicious prosecution attracts compensation if it can be proved in civil court (balance of probabilities).

These men are innocent, yet they, and their families, will have suffered hugely through no fault of their own. It is that which morally deserves recognition. Since monetry compenasation is all that can be given now, since there is no time machine to go back and undo the damage, why should it not be sought if they so wish.

Though those charged might as another post said have had the life sucked out of them.

Sincere best wishes to Col Jorge and all aquitted today, my thoughts are with you and your families.

B

Biscuits_AB

Storeman Norman said:
Biscuits_AB said:
You saw the evidence then?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F The Intelligence Cell 6
msr The Intelligence Cell 16
G The Intelligence Cell 6