Col Dick Strawbridge. Anyone serve with him?

The bloke could certainly drink I remember that much.

I was knocking around 13 Sigs between 87-90 so probably know a few of the posters on here.

the_baron

Old-Salt
Met him and a few Corps rugby legends at a ARU do last year and had few drinks and some laughs with them all after it finished in the hotel bar. I think our group was the last to leave. Top bloke Mr S, can't remember much of the conversation but I'm sure I mentioned the tache!!

Do like the mouse on his website.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Shared a corimec with his brother in BLMF in 1997 he was a very sound bloke.

beaker656

Clanker
happybonzo said:
When he did "Scrapheap" didn't he have two of his brothers on his team? .

Yeah it was, their team was called "Brothers in Arms".

As a brat at Harrogate he was Sqn OC and was a really great bloke. Especailly when I, and a couple of others got back squadded for failing one morse test. Made the next term very easy for us.

Bumped into him a couple of times afterwards, most noticeably in NI when he dragged a few of us into an RUC bar and proceeded to get us drunk. He also used to frequent the 225 bar with a few of his mates that used to tag along. Great bloke, even better 'tache

edited for bod spelink

Billwhyman

Old-Salt
Bow_Man said:
happybonzo said:
When he did "Scrapheap" didn't he have two of his brothers on his team?

Yes, both still serving, one in the Corps.

Other in the REME i believe. I personally didnt serve with him, but my dad did in Blandford circa 86-88. His brother lived in York when we did also.

:D

escaped

Swinger
DICK Strawbridge was my OC Sqn in 30 Sigs around 93-94. And he lived up to his name. Along with a rather arrse SSM, I have never known a worse squadron to be in. Sorry to disagree with the majority on the post, genial he may be, but Dick by name, Dick by nature.

Billwhyman

Old-Salt
escaped said:
DICK Strawbridge was my OC Sqn in 30 Sigs around 93-94. And he lived up to his name. Along with a rather arrse SSM, I have never known a worse squadron to be in. Sorry to disagree with the majority on the post, genial he may be, but Dick by name, Dick by nature.

Fair one, your opinion, but this aint the NAAFI bar mate.

escaped said:

Fully in agreement with you on your opinion of the SSM at the time. Dick Strawbridge mind you I remember as not a bad O.C. Would have been in the squadron the same time as you fella. You might remember me. Bar the moustachioed one, I was the only other paddy.

:banned: Dick Strawbridge, the Legend, played Rugby with him at 7 sigs 84/85. Couple of Rugby tours with him and a couple of tales to tell (but not just yet). Top Bloke who would always have time for anyone regardless of rank.

Just in case anyone's interested the "Its Not Easy Being Green" website is on line again CLICKY

IIRC one was a wolfhound/lurcher cross. I babysat (for that read beat them into submission with a blackthorn in order to stop them eating his desk) them on a few occasions. :D Don't tell him though!

The brother in the Corps has, or at least had an equally impressive 'tasche. He too was a good(ish) rugby player and fond of a drink. Would appear to be a family trait.

Bow_Man - will call in next time in your loc for catch up and a beer. Hope things going well mate.

chalkntalk

Clanker
I was at Sandhurst with him and knew him all of his career before we both left to do other things, I could give you lots of dirt on him but I would compromise a whole bunch of people of his generation....those were the days. He is even famous on the telly down here in the antipodes though. A bloody good guy!

gibson097

Old-Salt
furnished the then Major Strawbridge with a "rocket" that we had "made" for him at the peak of his Scrapheap fame, He was visiting our det from Malvern. It was mounted on a Satcom tripod and was tracking, had the local grunts fooled that it was an anti Satellite missile ! He took it in good spirit and had a good chuckle , also met his Brother Bobby ? on a PR trip to Wellbeck where he was adj or something, stood us all several beers. Top blokes.

For Rocket and Made, read errrr a fake (i mean proper fake) missile we had borrowed off the wreck of a Harrier used for fire fighting training at a former airfield in Cornwall or Devon...soz fire fighter blokes...!

Latest Threads