• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Col Bob Stewart DSO - MP ?

Had occasion to meet by chance Col Bob Stewart DSO (ret'd) again, at Portcullis House on Wednesday

Amongst several amusing anecdotes, he let slip that he was running for the (Safe Tory) seat of Kingston Upon Thames at the next election.

Another ex-military type to add to the list of shadow (soon to be elected to the House !) MPs ?

Thoroughly nice chap mind

Interesting choice and a Cheshire to boot (only joking!), shame he brings the Bonking Bob tag with him and I am sure the press will resurrect that, I am also sure we have enough ex officers in the DC camp. I suppose he can give insight into the UN aspects of global intervention bit more than that Alexander man Labour can.

In what way are you accusing Bob Stewart of snouts in the trough Whet? He is a Prospective Parliamentary Candidate, so hasnt even got into the farmyard yet, and definitely nowhere near the trough, which should be considerably smaller by the time of the next election.

I think he will make a good MP, he certainly has a breadth of experience behind him, particularly from his input while serving. The more experienced real life characters we can attract to parliament the better. Better than the Political Studies graduates that seem to populate the ministerial posts today.

Oh and it looks like someone might be being rather free with the actuality. You see, the good Tories of Kingston and Surbiton have already selected Helen Whately as their candidate.

Unless of course there is ANOTHER Kingston upon Thames?

bobthedog said:
In what way are you accusing Bob Stewart of snouts in the trough Whet? He is a Prospective Parliamentary Candidate, so hasnt even got into the farmyard yet, and definitely nowhere near the trough, which should be considerably smaller by the time of the next election.

I think he will make a good MP, he certainly has a breadth of experience behind him, particularly from his input while serving. The more experienced real life characters we can attract to parliament the better. Better than the Political Studies graduates that seem to populate the ministerial posts today.
Doesn't stop some one here from waxing lyrical about those who are candidates though does it? Well, some of those who are candidates. :roll:

In what way am I waxing lyrical? I simply said he would make a good MP. He has real world experience and would bring ANY party a wealth of knowledge and experience. Just stating facts.

Sixty said:
Whet said:
Oh and it looks like someone might be being rather free with the actuality. You see, the good Tories of Kingston and Surbiton have already selected Helen Whately as their candidate.

Unless of course there is ANOTHER Kingston upon Thames?
Richmond Park.

The Royal Borough of Kingston contains one complete Parliamentary Constituency "Kingston and Surbiton" and shares another "Richmond Park" with the neighbouring borough of Richmond upon Thames. .
You know, the one Bob Stewart is standing for?

Ah - young Mr Goldsmiths candidacy? Or have they struck him off?

Unless there is ANOTHER Richmond Park?

The candidate for Richmond Park

bobthedog said:
In what way am I waxing lyrical? I simply said he would make a good MP. He has real world experience and would bring ANY party a wealth of knowledge and experience. Just stating facts.

Just a different waxing from candidates of other colours Bob.

My comments are not aimed at Stewart, who may or may not bring something to the Tory benches but those on here who are quick to denounce anyone who is not their own.

bobthedog said:
His only experience is being in the Cheshire Regiment and a bit of a media whore. Why does this make him a good potential MP?

Whet, im not even a party member of any party (and never will be), and as it happens have yet to make my mind up which way I vote. I do know where I wont vote, but that is for me to know.

I made an apolitical comment about someone who I have actually met and worked for at one time, and have the utmost respect for. All I am saying that the character will make a good constituency MP and be able to add a wealth of experience gained in the real world to parliament, unlike some that come straight from University into the political world. Lets face it, our current cabinet hardly has anyone with "real world" experience within it, and by the way they run things it shows.

western said:
bobthedog said:
His only experience is being in the Cheshire Regiment and a bit of a media whore. Why does this make him a good potential MP?
It doesn't. However, it doesn't write him off either - to be fair.

bobthedog said:
Whet, im not even a party member of any party (and never will be), and as it happens have yet to make my mind up which way I vote. I do know where I wont vote, but that is for me to know.

I made an apolitical comment about someone who I have actually met and worked for at one time, and have the utmost respect for. All I am saying that the character will make a good constituency MP and be able to add a wealth of experience gained in the real world to parliament, unlike some that come straight from University into the political world. Lets face it, our current cabinet hardly has anyone with "real world" experience within it, and by the way they run things it shows.

Bob - did you similarly meet all the other candidates, to be able to judge them?

However, the comment wasn't aimed at you mate, but a general comment on all those who tar everyone with the same brush - except when it is expedient not to.

T

Tremaine

We'll naturally trust people we know or recognise, even respect, and in whom we can have some confidence especially for their experience of the Armed Forces during these times. He can't be accused of much more than any other candidate, nor has he the track record of those so unpopular (unsuitable?) in government.

When Cameron re-opened the list of would-be Tory candidates after the expenses scandal, Bob Stewart applied and - IIRC from a piece in the Torygraph (I think, could've been the Times) a few months back - was accepted onto the list of approved candidates, meaning that a constituency party could, if they so chose, select him as their PPC.

A quick google appears to suggest that he hasn't actually been selected for anywhere yet - he was in the running for Congleton, and prior to that Macclesfield, but in neither instance did the party faithful choose him as their PPC.

Whet said:
western said:
bobthedog said:
It doesn't. However, it doesn't write him off either - to be fair.
You miss the point entirely, he is as qulified as Eton Old Boys or rabid trade unionists. Just another bloke from a minority interest group with no qualification to represent the majority.

Latest Threads