Cognitive Test

mark4880

Swinger
I was sent a link on my portal which took me to the Mindmill website to do the cognitive test. I thought that I was doing a practice but after it says it’s been submitted and everything suggests that I have completed the test.

I thought this was done at selection as I did the BARB test there two years ago. Anyone know if things have changed? I’m sure I did good so I’m not worried about that, just wondering

I did this the day before a careers briefing (or whatever it's called) at my local careers centre. From what I was told it was just a practise test, presumably to see if you'd score high enough when it came to the real thing at selection for your preferred job roles.

This was for a regular solider application, not sure if it differs for reserve.

Last edited:

mark4880

Swinger
I did this the day before a careers briefing (or whatever it's called) at my local careers centre. From what I was told it was just a practise test, presumably to see if you'd score high enough when it came to the real thing at selection for your preferred job roles.

This was for a regular solider application, not sure if it differs for reserve.
Oh right I’ll ring capita tomorrow and see

TheAssessor

Old-Salt
Oh right I’ll ring capita tomorrow and see
Or simply do a search and read my posts about the screener test you are sent before you attend.

You do a screener (a short version of the test) to give you a little practice and to give your candidate support manager an idea of what you are capable of job wise.

Don't worry, you'll do the full test under supervision at the assessment centre.

DBarnett

Swinger
Or simply do a search and read my posts about the screener test you are sent before you attend.

You do a screener (a short version of the test) to give you a little practice and to give your candidate support manager an idea of what you are capable of job wise.

Don't worry, you'll do the full test under supervision at the assessment centre.
Just done the test at Selection. It is exactly the same as the practice one. Only difference is you're being monitored by Capita staff.

I scored in the 70's which apparently means all trades would've been available to me.

To reiterate speed and accuracy are key.

mark4880

Swinger
Cool I passed the last time I did selection in 2016 when it was the BARB test so I’m not worried. You just have to think quickly

James_Irish

Swinger
I have my selection on Tuesday so haven’t done the new one yet but having done the practice it seems pretty much the same
Got my interview and briefing Tuesday :"D yeah got sent the practice one today gotta give it a go later. Did you get told your score and what roles would be open to you? said in an email that he'll tell us, me and my mate it when we arrive.
Let me know how selection goes if you would since i tried looking it up and posts don't really give much information.
Cheers pal for the reply

mark4880

Swinger
Got my interview and briefing Tuesday :"D yeah got sent the practice one today gotta give it a go later. Did you get told your score and what roles would be open to you? said in an email that he'll tell us, me and my mate it when we arrive.
Let me know how selection goes if you would since i tried looking it up and posts don't really give much information.
Cheers pal for the reply
The test don’t give you a score as it’s a practice and you can only do it once which I would of liked to do it a few times.

I’m applying for reserves as I’m an old fart (40) so I already have my unit ready which is infantry, 3rd Battlion Royal Welsh. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Good luck with yours

James_Irish

Swinger
The test don’t give you a score as it’s a practice and you can only do it once which I would of liked to do it a few times.

I’m applying for reserves as I’m an old fart (40) so I already have my unit ready which is infantry, 3rd Battlion Royal Welsh. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Good luck with yours
Sound pal. Yeah know what you mean.
I'm kinda amazed it took the British army so long to get that system into place when the Irish army has been using it at least 2 or so years before them, done the test back then but gonna do it after work on Friday to see if theres any difference.
You might be a bit older but say you're ten times fitter than me bud, i'm like a potato right now, done my first gym session last week and couldn't move the arms after haha
What's your 1.5 mile time?
Yeah do :) and cheers

mark4880

Swinger
Keep training and concentrate on your times but when you do your selection the fitness tests would have changed as they change on April so you have to do a 2k run which is shorter then 1.5 mile. My run times are around 9min 25 mins but I’ve had over 2 years to train and I’m a natural runner anyway. Check with your CSM about the new fitness test Good luck with the test

James_Irish

Swinger
Keep training and concentrate on your times but when you do your selection the fitness tests would have changed as they change on April so you have to do a 2k run which is shorter then 1.5 mile. My run times are around 9min 25 mins but I’ve had over 2 years to train and I’m a natural runner anyway. Check with your CSM about the new fitness test Good luck with the test
Yeah just came back from the Briefing yesterday, got my score from that test as well just asked when we went on to do the face to face chat. Yeah seen that as well, gotta lift 76KG on some platform and back against a wall and gotta throw a 4KG ball over 3.1 meters. Know for Infantry and RAC run time has to be under 10:15 for them roles will others are about 12/13 minutes. How did your selection go pal? And cheers bud :)

mark4880

Swinger
Yeah just came back from the Briefing yesterday, got my score from that test as well just asked when we went on to do the face to face chat. Yeah seen that as well, gotta lift 76KG on some platform and back against a wall and gotta throw a 4KG ball over 3.1 meters. Know for Infantry and RAC run time has to be under 10:15 for them roles will others are about 12/13 minutes. How did your selection go pal? And cheers bud :)
Selection was brill passed with an A grade, did run in 9.08 and got 63 on my ACT, had a great time with good lads and the team tasks were really good just be vocal, encourage and imput and your'll be fine buddy. Whens your selection?

James_Irish

Swinger
Selection was brill passed with an A grade, did run in 9.08 and got 63 on my ACT, had a great time with good lads and the team tasks were really good just be vocal, encourage and imput and your'll be fine buddy. Whens your selection?
Well done on the grade and the time pal. Happy days, glad you did well in selection. Seen on other posts maybe you can confirm it since you did it in Tuesday for the lung test do you do that bike thing? must be something new they added in
Just gotta head to my GP on Monday with the medical forms and get them sorted as quickly as i can, say it might take a week or two at least.

mark4880

Swinger
Well done on the grade and the time pal. Happy days, glad you did well in selection. Seen on other posts maybe you can confirm it since you did it in Tuesday for the lung test do you do that bike thing? must be something new they added in
Just gotta head to my GP on Monday with the medical forms and get them sorted as quickly as i can, say it might take a week or two at least.
Thank you mate, I’m really pleased with it. You do a spiro test if you have had asthma in your history and it’s juat to make sure your lungs are ok. It involves going on a bike for 10 mins with an oxygen tube on which puts oxygen in you then after they measure your lung capacity. Only a couple of lads had it done and they passed fine. So if you don’t have any history of asthma then you won’t do it

James_Irish

Swinger
Thank you mate, I’m really pleased with it. You do a spiro test if you have had asthma in your history and it’s juat to make sure your lungs are ok. It involves going on a bike for 10 mins with an oxygen tube on which puts oxygen in you then after they measure your lung capacity. Only a couple of lads had it done and they passed fine. So if you don’t have any history of asthma then you won’t do it
Happy days then. That cleared that up for me, just thought it was something which everyone had to do now haha
How did you find the ACT the second time around? knowing you're being watched and timed?

mark4880

Swinger
Happy days then. That cleared that up for me, just thought it was something which everyone had to do now haha
How did you find the ACT the second time around? knowing you're being watched and timed?
It was brilliant and being older I had a bit more discipline, I’d say just listening to what your being told, don’t ever leave your water bottle anywhere and never put your hands in your pocket. The first night is boring if as it’s all the admin and it takes ages, make sure you have all your id as if you forget it it will delay your entry sending it after, the second day is your medical and just be prepared to be sitting around all day waiting, mine finished at about 1 then your back in the rec area for the rest of the day watching television and making friends. The last day is the fitness first thing then the granade throw which is pointless but fun then the team task which you do three, id say just get involved, be confident and encourage. By this time you will definitely have formed bonds with the other boys so it won’t seem awkward at all. Then lastly you have the interview which they just asked why you joining, where, what’s the training, how long etc. Make sure you know CDRILS and the army standards being:
Lawful behaviour
Act appropriately
Act professionally

If you follow that you’ll smash it

James_Irish

Swinger
It was brilliant and being older I had a bit more discipline, I’d say just listening to what your being told, don’t ever leave your water bottle anywhere and never put your hands in your pocket. The first night is boring if as it’s all the admin and it takes ages, make sure you have all your id as if you forget it it will delay your entry sending it after, the second day is your medical and just be prepared to be sitting around all day waiting, mine finished at about 1 then your back in the rec area for the rest of the day watching television and making friends. The last day is the fitness first thing then the granade throw which is pointless but fun then the team task which you do three, id say just get involved, be confident and encourage. By this time you will definitely have formed bonds with the other boys so it won’t seem awkward at all. Then lastly you have the interview which they just asked why you joining, where, what’s the training, how long etc. Make sure you know CDRILS and the army standards being:
Lawful behaviour
Act appropriately
Act professionally

If you follow that you’ll smash it
Thanks for the tips pal :) I'll be sure to pass them onto my other mate thats joining with me. Did you have any lads that snored? haha remember this one lad kept us up at night so every now and then someone had to wake him up haha

Latest Threads