Cognitive Test

I was sent a link on my portal which took me to the Mindmill website to do the cognitive test. I thought that I was doing a practice but after it says it’s been submitted and everything suggests that I have completed the test.

I thought this was done at selection as I did the BARB test there two years ago. Anyone know if things have changed? I’m sure I did good so I’m not worried about that, just wondering

I did this the day before a careers briefing (or whatever it's called) at my local careers centre. From what I was told it was just a practise test, presumably to see if you'd score high enough when it came to the real thing at selection for your preferred job roles.

This was for a regular solider application, not sure if it differs for reserve.

Last edited:
I did this the day before a careers briefing (or whatever it's called) at my local careers centre. From what I was told it was just a practise test, presumably to see if you'd score high enough when it came to the real thing at selection for your preferred job roles.

This was for a regular solider application, not sure if it differs for reserve.
Oh right I’ll ring capita tomorrow and see

Oh right I’ll ring capita tomorrow and see
Or simply do a search and read my posts about the screener test you are sent before you attend.

You do a screener (a short version of the test) to give you a little practice and to give your candidate support manager an idea of what you are capable of job wise.

Don't worry, you'll do the full test under supervision at the assessment centre.

Or simply do a search and read my posts about the screener test you are sent before you attend.

You do a screener (a short version of the test) to give you a little practice and to give your candidate support manager an idea of what you are capable of job wise.

Don't worry, you'll do the full test under supervision at the assessment centre.
Just done the test at Selection. It is exactly the same as the practice one. Only difference is you're being monitored by Capita staff.

I scored in the 70's which apparently means all trades would've been available to me.

To reiterate speed and accuracy are key.

Cool I passed the last time I did selection in 2016 when it was the BARB test so I’m not worried. You just have to think quickly

I have my selection on Tuesday so haven’t done the new one yet but having done the practice it seems pretty much the same
Got my interview and briefing Tuesday :"D yeah got sent the practice one today gotta give it a go later. Did you get told your score and what roles would be open to you? said in an email that he'll tell us, me and my mate it when we arrive.
Let me know how selection goes if you would since i tried looking it up and posts don't really give much information.
Cheers pal for the reply

Got my interview and briefing Tuesday :"D yeah got sent the practice one today gotta give it a go later. Did you get told your score and what roles would be open to you? said in an email that he'll tell us, me and my mate it when we arrive.
Let me know how selection goes if you would since i tried looking it up and posts don't really give much information.
Cheers pal for the reply
The test don’t give you a score as it’s a practice and you can only do it once which I would of liked to do it a few times.

I’m applying for reserves as I’m an old fart (40) so I already have my unit ready which is infantry, 3rd Battlion Royal Welsh. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Good luck with yours

The test don’t give you a score as it’s a practice and you can only do it once which I would of liked to do it a few times.

I’m applying for reserves as I’m an old fart (40) so I already have my unit ready which is infantry, 3rd Battlion Royal Welsh. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Good luck with yours
Sound pal. Yeah know what you mean.
I'm kinda amazed it took the British army so long to get that system into place when the Irish army has been using it at least 2 or so years before them, done the test back then but gonna do it after work on Friday to see if theres any difference.
You might be a bit older but say you're ten times fitter than me bud, i'm like a potato right now, done my first gym session last week and couldn't move the arms after haha
What's your 1.5 mile time?
Yeah do :) and cheers

Keep training and concentrate on your times but when you do your selection the fitness tests would have changed as they change on April so you have to do a 2k run which is shorter then 1.5 mile. My run times are around 9min 25 mins but I’ve had over 2 years to train and I’m a natural runner anyway. Check with your CSM about the new fitness test Good luck with the test