Coffee pod machines

I must say I never got the coffee bar thing.
Having a stupidly bad experience in starbucks years ago I had not ventured into one for ages.
However yesterday I was forced into one and had a flat white and it was sublime.

I have a reasonably high end Nespresso, it does good Latte's but still not as good as a Costa's (although Costa and other outlets can differ depending on who is making the coffee).
I like coffee but I'm not all snobbish about it. Nespresso is pretty good, but it is nothing like freshly ground coffee.

It is a sh1t load better than Nescafe or Gold Blend though.

it's not as sociable or voluminousas a cafetiere, but a vote for aeropress.. easy to use & clean, more coffee, yet seems less harsh than other methods (bearing in mind I'm even crap at making instant coffee).
It may look like a gentleman's personal improvement device (yeah, baby!), works for me

I have a reasonably high end Nespresso, it does good Latte's but still not as good as a Costa's (although Costa and other outlets can differ depending on who is making the coffee).
I like coffee but I'm not all snobbish about it. Nespresso is pretty good, but it is nothing like freshly ground coffee.

It is a sh1t load better than Nescafe or Gold Blend though.
Just an observation, but if you like Costa you do not like coffee. I don't know whether it's their seemingly endless expansion or what but they seem to be scrapping hard with Starbucks for the 'Coffee Bar experience without the coffee' category in the Cųnts Of British High Streets 2017 awards.

Just an observation, but if you like Costa you do not like coffee. I don't know whether it's their seemingly endless expansion or what but they seem to be scrapping hard with Starbucks for the 'Coffee Bar experience without the coffee' category in the Cųnts Of British High Streets 2017 awards.
I know what you mean about Costas, mate. I had one of their big cappuccinos' the other week and it was dire. If I hadn't paid a lot of money for it, (well, a lot of money for me, anyway), I'd have walked out leaving it with having over three quarters left in the mug.

Really good coffee in a restaurant chain? Absolutely easy one this - Tim Horton's. The Canadian chain opened a branch in Glasgow a while ago and it does a mahoosively big cup of dark roast (my choice, they also do a normal one) filtered coffee for under two quid.

I read one of their blurbs a short time ago.

Apparently they've been opening 82 shops per day for the last several years.

Frankly, that's appalling

The thing to aware of with Costa (maybe other chains too, but I can't speak for them), is that not all Costas are owned and managed by Costa (subsidiary of Whitbread), but are franchises. Costa have their own training material, courses and standards. Franchises have their own, which should be up to the mark but aren't always.

The thing to aware of with Costa (maybe other chains too, but I can't speak for them), is that not all Costas are owned and managed by Costa (subsidiary of Whitbread), but are franchises. Costa have their own training material, courses and standards. Franchises have their own, which should be up to the mark but aren't always.
That is what I meant in my post, some Costa's can do coffee that I like, but some are crap.
But then again I am not a coffee snob that demands beans that have been shat out by a monkey in Peru.

Last edited:
I read one of their blurbs a short time ago.

Apparently they've been opening 82 shops per day for the last several years.

Frankly, that's appalling
Funny story.

My missus used to work with someone who's family name was Costa. It started out as a family owned Italian coffee bar and importer in East London and was expanded by the family to about three or four pretty successful cafes before being bought out. It was subsequently bought out another couple of times and is largely owned by a hedge fund now. The original family still own a decimal point of a percent and do very nicely out of it thank you very much.

The business model is market saturation, it doesn't matter if what you sell is gash as long as you're selling an awful lot of it. Unfortunately it seems to be working for them.

Of the High Street chains Nero is just about ok but variable and Harris & Hoole do a reasonable coffee but are owned by Tesco and therefore I won't go near them. It's independents all the way for me.

I know what you mean about Costas, mate. I had one of their big cappuccinos' the other week and it was dire. If I hadn't paid a lot of money for it, (well, a lot of money for me, anyway), I'd have walked out leaving it with having over three quarters left in the mug.

Really good coffee in a restaurant chain? Absolutely easy one this - Tim Horton's. The Canadian chain opened a branch in Glasgow a while ago and it does a mahoosively big cup of dark roast (my choice, they also do a normal one) filtered coffee for under two quid.
I've only ever had Timmy H in Canada, I couldn't bring myself to mix with the lizards on the boardwalk at KAF. The Americans had something called Green Bean (IIRC) at their PXs which did a MOAC (Mother Of All Coffees). I'm not saying it was the greatest roast, blend and grind in the world but four espressos topped up with a pint of strong filter was enough to get Mamma Lert's baby boy gangster tripping.

If you're in the Southwest, then a big shout out for Coffee #1. First discovered them in Cardiff, but they've penetrated as far as Southampton, Swindon and Andover now.

Their house blend is pretty good, but their guest coffee's always worth a go. If I want coffee grounds I'll get them from them...they grind the beans to order for you.

Trying another new brand of coffee, this time it's Percol Black & Beyond Espresso. It's rated 6 on the intensity score, according to the blurb on the side, but I've only seen them go up to 5 before. Percol may be indulging in a bit of Spinal Tap tomfoolery but I have to say so far the coffee itself is fairly decent.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Holy thread upgrade. Been mixing my morning coffee between one of those hopper things and pod.
Two pods do the morning coffee into the nuked milk.

The other one, grind the coffee, put it into the hopper, screw it in and switch it on to start up. Since day one because of the lack of room I’ve been using a gravy boat coffee into the gravy boat and poured into the milk.

Finished the pods, back on to the beans. The dame had a look at the machine again.
Removed the drip tray. Mug fits a treat, this is going to save me a fortune in gravy boats

Sorry photo won’t lift