Coffee Machinery

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Cuddles, Oct 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now that we have weathered the storm of patent pod systems, I find myself looking to buy a coffee machine. Now I could get a super snazzy espresso machine. I could get a whoop de doo filter machine.

However I intend to acquire Signor De'Longhi's BCO410 Front Loading 15-Bar Combi Coffee Machine. Unless as they say in weddings...anyone here do know just cause why I shouldn't.

Now please feel free to push your personal choice. However don't diss the combi unless you have real info/experience. Do feel free to suggest another combi but bear in mind I wan to fuel the bad boy with freshly ground coffee.

2. **** all that expense, get one of these....... Aluminium_Espresso_Coffee_Maker.jpg ..........and blow the dosh on ale and easy women!

• Like Like x 3
  3. I totally agree, stuff the technology.

4. I have one of those and it makes two cups worth...yes they are big cups and I looove coffee...

Moreover I'm a boy, birthday coming up and what part of "it's a gadget" are you labouring against?? :)

5. Probably the £119 cost price and add ons like the coffee.

BUT, I have read the reviews and might well be reviewing my original decision, possibly even buying one myself. Now Did you see this comment on the site:

Id personally recommend purchasing the burr grinder from the same range and using illy brand beans that come in a tin. Freshly ground coffee seems to taste so much better.
    This is a fantastic machine, ive found the fact you can make almost any kind of coffee and make it to a high standard is the thing that makes this worth every penny.

6. I've considered one of these. Silly question though....

How do you use them? What type of coffee do you need to put in them? And I'm actually being serious!

Hi. My name is Legs, and I'm a caffeine addict.

7. You put water in the bottom, up to the line. You put ground espresso coffee in the filter cup in the middle, then you put on the stove.

You then wait for the water to boil up through the coffee into the top half, then you pour.

I have an electric one of these on tour with me. Nom nom nom nom

To the OP: Buy a Gaggia Accedemia and never, ever look back

8. Hi Legs these bad boys are simple to operate.
    Adopt the position, and as per SASC drills:
    The body unscrews above the brass pressure valve, remove the coffee receptacle, fill up the bottom reservoir and place the coffee receptacle back in with a level measure of coffee (about two tea spoons full). Screw the body back together and then put over the heat, and in a couple of minutes it will start to make spurty noises, turn it down and let it boil on through.
    Bingo a very palatable coffee. As to the variety, I use Waitrose espresso although Lidl apparently has a very good brand.
    From another caffeine adict.

9. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Electric percolater and a grinder. Pour water in pot, grind beans, stick in basket, put lid on. Set on power thingey. Come back when done. Brilliant, easy to clean. And you have to keep these things clean.
    I thought you could go for the family heirloom coffee pot look to be told that unlike tea, coffee stuff goes rancid and poisonous. Good job nobody told the aged P. years ago. He treated the percolater like a teapot.

10. I was prompted to buy a nicely discounted Gaggia Cubika Plus off Amazon the last time a coffee machine thread was started on here (never say that I'm suggestible... but if you do I'll probably agree). It's been a pleasant surprise to find myself using it quite often, I'm a bit of a twat for buying, then immediately storing, stuff. The main downside to my machine is that it only has enough clearance to fit espresso cups but it's not a major problem to heat the milk in a mug in the microwave and decant the espresso mug into that. The steam nozzle works well if a capuccino takes one's fancy and frothy milk is required. I use Lavazza Qualita Rossa or Oro and it's bloody lovely.I'd have no hesitation in recommending this machine on the basis of my limited experience with it but I'd probably look at the slightly larger Gaggia Classic too.

11. image.jpg

delonghi essay 5500. I've had one for about 3 years and it's the best boys toy I've ever bought. Well worth the cash.

12. Bolloxs to them all. I've gone through a couple of the DeLonghi machines, as well as a top of the range Krups and a Miele.

Great coffee, but when something goes wrong (which it will), then the repairs (even under warranty) are a pain in the arrse.

I now have a DeLonghi Nespresso machine: never lets me down, easy cappuccinos, espressos and everything in between. The thing I prefer over all my previous machines (and I have wasted a sodding fortune on the buggers) is that you can swap easily between coffee types. No more "shit, I want a Blue Mountain but I put in 3 cups of Kenyan beans yesterday." Just pop in the capsule you want. The quality is good (yes, there can be better out there), but what wins me over is the ease of use and the consistency of quality.

[​IMG]

It also fits in with the colour scheme of my kitchen. Which is nice.

13. Attached Files:

14. Very few words: DO NOT even consider that machine. From what friends and neighbours have told me, I feel you will be very disappointed with your purchase. If you are going to buy a coffee maker, buy something that is almost indestructible and will last for years. As my good friend “Prince Albert” suggested buy the Gaggia Accedemia – it will probably outlive you. Alternatively the GD1 is also a very good buy - rather expensive.

15. I've got a Starbucks barista, few years old but makes lush coffee and froths the milk up like shaving foam! Love it

• Like Like x 1