AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hi, sorry for the late response. There isn't a page but there is this Facebook post Funnily enough, around Newcastle is another venue we are looking at for next year. I always visit for Remembrance Sunday (youngest is part of HMS Calliope) so would be a win/win!
All I am seeing here is a 4-second video of a cake bring scoffed.

When you are pushing Newcastle, I'll happily help, or you might get in touch with Home Headquarters The Light Dragoons at Fenham Barracks, Newcastle upon Tyne, who took ownership of the 15/19H Facebook group after the death of my friend, its creator. They are very approachable people and the Regimental Secretary and his assistant are both personal friends.

sarah7144

Swinger
It's not the best link but if you click the Facebook 'F' in the right hand corner it shows the text below.

Re Newcastle, thanks so much for the info, I think this is definitely going to be a place for us to visit, though I'm setting one up in Belfast for October, so it might be in early 2020.

Should have also said, thanks for the offer of help, will definitely be in contact!

sarah7144

Swinger
Tomorrow I'm off to Belfast for our Northern Ireland 'Coffee, Cake and Combat Stress' fundraising awareness events, one on the 23rd November 6-8pm at Gallopers Cafe, BT15 3HE and one on the 24th November at the Belfast War Memorial Museum 12-2pm.

If you are in the area and would like to find out more about our work helping veterans with their mental health, please do come along.

Tomorrow I'm off to Belfast for our Northern Ireland 'Coffee, Cake and Combat Stress' fundraising awareness events, one on the 23rd November 6-8pm at Gallopers Cafe, BT15 3HE and one on the 24th November at the Belfast War Memorial Museum 12-2pm.

If you are in the area and would like to find out more about our work helping veterans with their mental health, please do come along.
All the best Sarah. If you are in the Oxfordshire neck of the woods let me know.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
There are two aims really; one to thank current supporters, show them the difference they make. The other is to find new supporters.

As we don't receive any central government funding and as we've seen a large increase in referrals, we need to spread the message that if you support veterans and want to make a difference, please consider supporting our work.

I saw a stat that there are approximately 2.5 million veterans in the UK. If you then assume their family connections, that's about 10 million people who are 'warm' to military charities. We've been going for 100 years and yet we probably aren't nearly as well known as some of the others. These events will hopefully go some way to changing that.

For older listeners, Combat Stress is what used to be called

' The Ex-Services Mental Welfare Society '

and as Sarah says it was formed in 1919 - been around forever.

In 1919, the pioneering founders of Combat Stress changed attitudes to veterans' mental health.
Our original name was the Ex-Servicemen's Welfare Society and we opened our first "recuperative home" in 1920 on Putney Hill in South West London.

For almost a century, we’ve helped former servicemen and women deal with trauma-related mental health problems such as anxiety, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)

An Arrse contingent used to run to raise for them every year at the British 10K event in London.

I ran the US Marine Corps Marathon for them in 2004, and Royal Parks Half more recently.

So if anyone has a place in next year's Virgin London Marathon, you might consider running for Combat Stress.

I am planning a sponsored walk over the Pyrenees next year for what they have done for my son. As it stands I am a happy tin shaker and also local supporter. Well done all.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
If anyone is at the Combat Stress Armistice lecture tomorrow, come and say Aloha :)

sarah7144

Swinger
I was there yesterday, I thought it was one of the most moving speakers we've ever had.

Latest Threads