Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coeliac disease and career progression

Dp1679

Crow
I’ve just been diagnosed with coeliac disease, for those who don’t know it’s basically a condition where you have to avoid eating gluten for life. The consequences if you do ingest gluten can be quite damaging.

The question I have is does anyone know anyone else on service with this condition? The medical staff have told me it won’t lead to discharge and that my medical grade will change; meaning I won’t be sent anywhere where my dietary needs can’t be met. This poses a few concerns for me :

1. How is this likely to affect my career in terms of promotion ect?

2. will I still be able to deploy on operations ?

3 . Is anyone aware of guys serving with this condition who have had a good , long career?

sorry if the questions seem bone I have asked medical staff but seem to get the same stock answer every time which doesn’t fill me with the greatest confidence !

This man had something very similar, but very severe, they never did get to the bottom of it.

He got on with life, passed his AACC, did his jumps and served in a unit that closely supported the SF. He did tours.

He had disturbed nights sleep due to the pain and stomach cramps. He’d get up and sit in a chair to try and alleviate it. He never moaned, he never whined, he just got on with it.

Nothing was hidden from the Army, as much about was known of his condition was fully documented. Full diagnoses was still ongoing when he was killed.

Gerber

Swinger
I’ve just been diagnosed with coeliac disease, for those who don’t know it’s basically a condition where you have to avoid eating gluten for life. The consequences if you do ingest gluten can be quite damaging.

The question I have is does anyone know anyone else on service with this condition? The medical staff have told me it won’t lead to discharge and that my medical grade will change; meaning I won’t be sent anywhere where my dietary needs can’t be met. This poses a few concerns for me :

3 . Is anyone aware of guys serving with this condition who have had a good , long career?

sorry if the questions seem bone I have asked medical staff but seem to get the same stock answer every time which doesn’t fill me with the greatest confidence !
I have gluten intolerance, so I know what your feelings when eating a nice piece of cake or drinking a beer.

What happened to me, I got MND temporary, whilst I had all my test with NHS. Once results were in I got upgraded to MLD permanent.

Since then I have had recommendation for promotion with 3RO. I have also been posted abroad.

In regards to having a long career I got diagnosed in 2017.

Hope this is of help

Dp1679

Crow
I have gluten intolerance, so I know what your feelings when eating a nice piece of cake or drinking a beer.

What happened to me, I got MND temporary, whilst I had all my test with NHS. Once results were in I got upgraded to MLD permanent.

Since then I have had recommendation for promotion with 3RO. I have also been posted abroad.

Hope this is of help
Thanks mate that has definatly helped put my mind at ease!

bee20

Crow

Hope this is of help
Did they provide Gluten free meals whilst posted? how was it?

morsk

LE

i doubt you won't get promoted for not eating sandwiches to be honest.......

Cyberhacker

Old-Salt
This may be of interest... although things may have changed in the interim, but JSP950 is on 'web

Latest Threads