Cocoa Nucifera( Coconuts) the new banned word

Bristol councillor,Shirley Brown was given a 12 conditional discharge for useing the word "Coconut" to refure to Asian fellow councillor Jay Jethwa in a council meeting, Coconut it seems means" brown on the outside,white on the inside" I just find it extreamly stupid that a person of Afro/Carribean background can be racial, to an Asian, over somthing so trivual, I wonder how much the court case cost the tax payer, more PC BS

It also implies of course that being "white" is somehow an affliction....or bad thing in general.

It does at least strike a blow against the idea that only white people get done for uttering racist remarks. As such, it will annoy both the Daily Mail and the BNP, so is probably worth the money in the end.

petergriffen said:
It also implies of course that being "white" is somehow an affliction....or bad thing in general.
Indeed. Speaks volumes on the success of multi-culturism doesn't it.

As for whether she should have been prosecuted, had she been white and made derogatory comments about somebody elses ethnicity she would have been up infront of the courts, why should it be different because she is black?

Those serving with the Gurkhas should take note, whistling "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts" could now land you right in it.

I work with an Asian (well Pakistani) chap. He does not like nee...neee...oh sod it, "black people". He was also born and bred in Cardiff, so he doesn't like people from England, Swansea, Newport, Americans, Germans and of course Hindus.

I take my hat of to his multi-culturalist view point. He'll hate anybody! A few more weeks working with me and he'll hate Gunners, baldy men and Scots too. However he'll also have been indoctrinated to like what I would like to call, in Councillor Brown's honour, "kumqats". women who are ginger on the outside but pink in the middle...

cernunnos said:
Those serving with the Gurkhas should take note, whistling "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts" could now land you right in it.
Namaste Sahib! Especially given that the boys are referred to affectionately as "prunes", by most of the Brit officers who lead them. 8O

If only the message this affair were as clear cut as it should have been:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jun/28/councillor-court-coconut-jibe-bristol

Jethwa had said spending £750,000 of taxpayers' money "righting the wrongs of slavery" did not make sense. Ian Jackson, prosecuting, said Brown "was heard to say: 'In our culture we have a word for you which many in this city would understand, a coconut.

"And at the end of the day I just look at you as that. And the water's either worth throwing away or drinking it'."

Jethwa, 42, did not hear the remark during the council meeting but watched it later on a webcast.

She wept as she told the court: "I was completely shocked and I was numb and had to rewind the footage to see if it was only me she had directed the comment to. I was very, very upset and distressed.

The word is doubly insulting as it insults both me and the white population."

She considered Brown's remarks about the water as "racist" and "to mean that my comments were worth throwing out.

Brown was suspended for a month by the council's standards committee last summer for using "offensive and abusive language", although it did not judge the remarks racist.

The punishment was overturned in September after Brown appealed.
I would be interested to see the rationale by which the council standards committee decided that the remark wasn't racist. Also notice the one month suspension (overturned after appeal).

Bristol, and I thought that the chimps were only running the zoo,

And his name just HAD to be brown!

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm in complete agreement with choco on this - spending £750,000 of my taxes on righting the wrongs of slavery is a brilliant idea. I work like a c c c c c slave every day of the week, and if this person of efnic descent, who likens people to coconuts thinks I should see some of it, then who am I to argue?

Cuddles - I know what you're saying. One of my customers is from the Punjab, and what he had to say about Pakistanis and our brothers from deepest Africa made my hair go frizzy, I can tell you! Racism isn't just a honky thing you know - they're all at it!

I mean, going back to another thread, them Kikuyu dudes who created the Mau Mau - sheeeeit brudda, dem was hard-core, chucking it to the other tribal massifs'n'ting, an ah don't mean de white bwah! And what about those Tutsis and Hutus?!?!?!?! Nasty, nasty ting an ting!

Slightly off thread,but, in todays Crimwatch almost all the CCTV criminals that they want infomation on are of the non Anglo Saxon ethnic groups, strange that,

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
It's only surely a Western liberal guilt thing that has led to us being made to think that racism is a whites-only 'crime'. Anyone who has worked with Arabs, or Pathans, or Indians, or Punjabis, or Sikhs, or Bengalis, or Japanese, or Chinese, will tell you that they can all be pretty vociferous in their racism - it's surely a universal thing to think that your particular group is better than any other, and that, by extension, the worst of the evil, disgusting foreigners happens to be your neighbours - witness England and France, Scotland and England, Persians and Arabs, Turks and Greeks, Bosniacs and Croats (and serbs, and Kozovans, etc.)

It's not always limited to close-by 'foreigners', though - I've never heard abuse like that aimed at the Japanese by some Arabs, who don't particularly mind Westerners, but who think the Japanese are heathens who look and smell funny and eat funny food. Odd, as that's just what I think about.......

BPS666 said:
eodmatt said:
And her name just HAD to be brown!
Fixed that for you and no you wouldn't not even with sven's
Thanks! But don't be presumptuous - I more than likely would :oops:

Aye, I ken fine that racism is everywhere...

Groundskeeper Willie: It won't last. Brothers and sisters are natural enemies! Like Englishmen and Scots! Or Welshmen and Scots! Or Japanese and Scots! Or Scots and other Scots! Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!

Principal Skinner: You Scots sure are a contentious people.

Willie: You just made an enemy for life!

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
jarrod248 said:
OldSnowy said:
It's only surely a Western liberal guilt thing that has led to us being made to think that racism is a whites-only 'crime'. Anyone who has worked with Arabs, or Pathans, or Indians, or Punjabis, or Sikhs, or Bengalis, or Japanese, or Chinese, will tell you that they can all be pretty vociferous in their racism - it's surely a universal thing to think that your particular group is better than any other, and that, by extension, the worst of the evil, disgusting foreigners happens to be your neighbours - witness England and France, Scotland and England, Persians and Arabs, Turks and Greeks, Bosniacs and Croats (and serbs, and Kozovans, etc.)

It's not always limited to close-by 'foreigners', though - I've never heard abuse like that aimed at the Japanese by some Arabs, who don't particularly mind Westerners, but who think the Japanese are heathens who look and smell funny and eat funny food. Odd, as that's just what I think about.......
Yup quite right a hindu GP I work with was ramming cream cakes down his throat in front of a muslim GP, making rather exagerrated hmmmm, lovely nom nom, type noises and laughing his bloody head off.
My Thai friends hate the chinese who are seen as uncivilised and dirty.
We hate southerners of any colour or religion, but we are aware that one or two are sort of ok.
Yes, truth be told, even northern monkeys have saving graces . . . . . but not you, you filthy, dirty dog!

Its a little off topic, but what has always pissed me off is how its the Anglo-Saxons (ie us and the Americans) who get all the blame for slavery. Those seeking to overturn the wrongs of slavery seem to ignore the massive contribution towards it played by the Arabs who not only raided up and down East Africa but also throughout the Med and even as far as Cornwall and Devon.
However I am in favour of the government funding the flights and starting packages for those of African descent who which to 'right the wrongs of slavery' by returning to whichever African hellhole our evil ancestors tore them from.
Any takers? Thought not. How about instead of bitching and moaning about how bad your greatgreatgreatgreatgrandad had it, you celebrate their perseverance and strength to have survived such horrifying ordeals which has given you a far better quality of life than Africans have.

There was a piece in the paper a while back by an MP in the south west somewhere. It was talking about racism and he said he wasn't expecting to find it in his part of the country but one of his first meetings with a constituent started with the lady complaining about 'foreigners' moving into the village, saying that it was affecting the 'local population'.

He was quite shocked....until he realised that the 'foreigners' being talked about were people who came from the local town and were moving out into the country, specifically this village.....if you weren't born in the village you were 'foreign'....

S_R

tropper66 said:
Slightly off thread,but, in todays Crimwatch almost all the CCTV criminals that they want infomation on are of the non Anglo Saxon ethnic groups, strange that,
Yeh, but is selective editing innit!