Cocktails!

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
According to the Grauniad's website, because of the recession we're all staying in. Sales of spirits, for home consumption, are up - so according to the (not so) great and the good, we're all staying in and becoming mixologists.

Favourite cocktail receipes then, and tales of where it all went horribly wrong.

For me it hasn't gone wrong yet, but favourite cocktails are:

Gin and Tonic (it's a spirit based mixed drink and therefore qualifies) done properly:

Tall cold glass
Lots of ice
Lime and lemon crushed around the rim of the glass (remains put in with the ice)
Double measure of either Brecon Gin or, Plymouth Gin
Decent tonic (that doesn't drown the gin).

Moscow Mule

Vodka and a dash of Lime Cordial shaken with ice.
Ginger beer

Pour mixed vodka and lime into a tall glass with ice, add ginger beer to taste.

Also works well with Bacardi rum (Havana Mule)

In your own time...

I went into a pub in Liverpool years ago and ordered a light and bitter, the reply was 'fook off, we don't do cocktails'.

Just two days ago, my oppo was mixing jugs of cheeky Vimtos, and picked up the wrong bottle. What he mixed was about 30-50 cl of Pimms with 70 cl of Blue Wkd. The result was a green drink which tasted of Hubba Bubba. It was instantly named 'Green Giant'.

I went into a pub in Liverpool years ago and ordered a light and bitter, the reply was 'fook off, we don't do cocktails'.
'Fook off'

Liverpool? Doncaster surely?

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
[nasal] awright der la [nasal/]

Quite like the ocassional "White Lady" too.

Mrs F is partial to a good martini (the dryer the better - just show the gin the vermouth bottle and she's happy), she quite enjoyed some earl grey marteanis in Chepstow a couple of months ago.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
A couple of months back my brother was back on leave (stinking matelow) and while down the pub we got to experimenting with our drinks.

We got a large bottle of crabbies and dumped it into a pint glass with ice and lime then put two large shots of pussers in it.We called it "the stormtrooper" as its feckin nails.

The French "75" Cocktail
2/3 Gin.
1/3 Lemon Juice
1 Spoonful Powdered Sugar.
Pour into tall glass containing cracked Ice and fill up with Champagne.

The nuts. Named after the 75mm Howitzer apparently

ugly

LE
Albeit a bit early for this season but some of last years birds are still about;

Attachments

When I was 18 I went to a pub in the west end with a mate. It was called 'the Black Horse' and they did a cocktail called the 'black horse kick'. It was half pint of optics and half pint of coke with ice. It was a hot day and we had a few of them, rapid.

Next thing I remember I was spewing up on a car in Islington, in a car wash, and I was fucked.

I dunno how I got there, where my mate was, or how I got home.

I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone...

Terry's chocolate orange!

1 measure Tia Maria/Kahlua over ice
Top up with fresh OJ!

Yummy!

Gin and Tonic (it's a spirit based mixed drink and therefore qualifies) done properly:

Tall cold glass
Lots of ice
Lime and lemon crushed around the rim of the glass (remains put in with the ice)
Double measure of either Brecon Gin or, Plymouth Gin
Decent tonic (that doesn't drown the gin).
Damn good mixture, but sorry - it's gotta be Gordons'. Just doesn't taste the same otherwise.
Also, only lime was available when I lived in Cairo. Got a bit testy in the end - craving lemon juice!

When I was 18 I went to a pub in the west end with a mate. It was called 'the Black Horse' and they did a cocktail called the 'black horse kick'. It was half pint of optics and half pint of coke with ice. It was a hot day and we had a few of them, rapid.

Next thing I remember I was spewing up on a car in Islington, in a car wash, and I was fucked.

I dunno how I got there, where my mate was, or how I got home.

I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone...
40 years ago they were called "gorillas" - a shot of everything in the bar in one glass. Turn it into a "proper" cocktail by adding a cherry on a stick. First and last time I ever saw a cherry puke!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Terry's chocolate orange!

1 measure Tia Maria/Kahlua over ice
Top up with fresh OJ!

Yummy!
May I recommend a variation on that for a real chocolate orange taste

Equal measures

Double cream
Cointreau
Creme de Cocoa

shaken with ice strained and served

One for the ladies

Strawberry daiquiri

4 fresh strawberries, plus ½ strawberry to garnish

2 tsp white sugar

35ml/1½fl oz white rum

1 tbsp strawberry liqueur

25ml/1fl oz lime juice

1.Place the strawberries, sugar, rum, strawberry liqueur and lime juice into the base of a cocktail shaker and mash (muddle) with the end of a clean rolling pin.

2.Place the lid onto the cocktail shaker and shake well.

3.Strain the mixture into a Martini glass and garnish with half a strawberry.

Mrs B is partial to French 75's

Gin
Lime Juice (most use lemon juice but that is nasty)
Champagne
Caster Sugar

Everything in a cocktail shaker with ice except champagne & shake it large. Strain into a champagne flute & top with champagne. There is no right proportion, just experiment to personal taste. (Years it has taken me to get it right to the satisfaction of the ungrateful cow aka She Who Must Be Obeyed.)

For me, Margaritas. Tequila, Cointreau & Lime Juice (no premix shit if you please!) shaken with ice until your fingers drop off and served in a proper full size Margarita glass witn salt around the rim.

The unwary find this to be invariably true:
One Margarita
Two Margarita
Three Margarita
Floor

I'm a sucker for manhattans, personally: rye whiskey (no bourbon please, we're English), sweet vermouth, and maraschino liqueur- fooking lovely stuff, though I can never really ever remember drinking them :/

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ciggie The NAAFI Bar 43
sc_obvious Cookery 21