Cocktails!

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Mr_Fingerz, Aug 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

According to the Grauniad's website, because of the recession we're all staying in. Sales of spirits, for home consumption, are up - so according to the (not so) great and the good, we're all staying in and becoming mixologists.

Favourite cocktail receipes then, and tales of where it all went horribly wrong.

For me it hasn't gone wrong yet, but favourite cocktails are:

Gin and Tonic (it's a spirit based mixed drink and therefore qualifies) done properly:

Tall cold glass
    Lots of ice
    Lime and lemon crushed around the rim of the glass (remains put in with the ice)
    Double measure of either Brecon Gin or, Plymouth Gin
    Decent tonic (that doesn't drown the gin).

Moscow Mule

Vodka and a dash of Lime Cordial shaken with ice.
    Ginger beer

Pour mixed vodka and lime into a tall glass with ice, add ginger beer to taste.

Also works well with Bacardi rum (Havana Mule)

In your own time...

2. I went into a pub in Liverpool years ago and ordered a light and bitter, the reply was 'fook off, we don't do cocktails'.

3. Just two days ago, my oppo was mixing jugs of cheeky Vimtos, and picked up the wrong bottle. What he mixed was about 30-50 cl of Pimms with 70 cl of Blue Wkd. The result was a green drink which tasted of Hubba Bubba. It was instantly named 'Green Giant'.

4. 'Fook off'

Liverpool? Doncaster surely?

5. Mr_Fingerz

[nasal] awright der la [nasal/]

Quite like the ocassional "White Lady" too.

Mrs F is partial to a good martini (the dryer the better - just show the gin the vermouth bottle and she's happy), she quite enjoyed some earl grey marteanis in Chepstow a couple of months ago.

6. The pub was in Liverpool, the barmaid was from Doncaster.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mr_Fingerz

bliddy students...

8. A couple of months back my brother was back on leave (stinking matelow) and while down the pub we got to experimenting with our drinks.

We got a large bottle of crabbies and dumped it into a pint glass with ice and lime then put two large shots of pussers in it.We called it "the stormtrooper" as its feckin nails.

9. The French "75" Cocktail
    2/3 Gin.
    1/3 Lemon Juice
    1 Spoonful Powdered Sugar.
    Pour into tall glass containing cracked Ice and fill up with Champagne.

The nuts. Named after the 75mm Howitzer apparently

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Albeit a bit early for this season but some of last years birds are still about;

Attached Files:

11. When I was 18 I went to a pub in the west end with a mate. It was called 'the Black Horse' and they did a cocktail called the 'black horse kick'. It was half pint of optics and half pint of coke with ice. It was a hot day and we had a few of them, rapid.

Next thing I remember I was spewing up on a car in Islington, in a car wash, and I was fucked.

I dunno how I got there, where my mate was, or how I got home.

I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone...

12. Terry's chocolate orange!

1 measure Tia Maria/Kahlua over ice
    Top up with fresh OJ!

Yummy!

13. Damn good mixture, but sorry - it's gotta be Gordons'. Just doesn't taste the same otherwise.
    Also, only lime was available when I lived in Cairo. Got a bit testy in the end - craving lemon juice!

14. 40 years ago they were called "gorillas" - a shot of everything in the bar in one glass. Turn it into a "proper" cocktail by adding a cherry on a stick. First and last time I ever saw a cherry puke!