CO-OP Bank

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by geezer466, May 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Am reading on another forum that a the Co-Op are refusing access to savings to move it to another account by phone. Told to attend in person and bring utility bill and passport..

BBC News - Moody's downgrades Co-op Bank's debt rating to 'junk'

Northern Rock Mark 2 or Credit Crunch 2..... History has a habit of repeating itself....

I caught the end of a conversation on Fivelive where they were talking about discovering some bad lending in Britannia (taken over by the Co-Op)- I assumed mortgages.

Don't any of these highly paid and lucratively pensioned bank CEOs ever check the books before they buy something.

If you went into the Co-Op wanting to buy a cafe they would go over the books of the cafe going back years - yet they seemingly do not do such a thing, allegedly, when they go and buy another bank/building society.

2. But in a statement, the bank admitted there was a "need to strengthen our capital position in light of the broader economic downturn and the pending introduction of enhanced regulatory requirements".

English translation :- 'Oh God, we're in the clag'.

'The Co-op - good with food, rubbish with cash'

3. Good with food? Are they ****. A totally mickey mouse outfit that I would gladly see go to the wall.

• Like Like x 3
  4. I wouldn't know fatsplasher, I would prefer to shop at Lidl - if we had one in Solihull

5. Steady lad, this is CA - 'copulating communists' would be safer and trip off the tongue felicitously

• Like Like x 4
  6. Well that's confirmed it..Issuing a all is well statement via twitter is coded speak for we are****ed.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

I was always under the impression that the Co-op Bank couldn't suffer the same fate as Northern Rock, Lloyds TSB etc - as they were dividend owned / by the people etc - whatever that means?

I'm a little worried now, because I changed to their account purely on that basis :-/

8. If you really ARE David Cameron, no wonder the country is in a mess. Doesn't matter who owns an organisation, if it runs out of wonga it's stuffed; equally if people THINK it's broke, then it WILL be stuffed. Theoretically, that would also apply to a bank like RBS which is effectively nationalised. I have some money in Nationwide, not because they are immune from disaster but because they don't have shareholders screaming for bigger dividends. Co-op will need more than a tweet to stop people emptying their accounts.

9. ...eh!?

10. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

The Co-Op is a mutual, it doesn't have shareholders. However, it does indeed look as though it's in the brown and smelly.

11. What we need is Gordon to return, he can get Lloyds to buy it, problem solved.

12. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

**** Off, Lloyds TSB has enough problems of it's own. And the Co-Op can't afford the Lloyds branches that IT was scheduled to buy.

13. Are you dedicated to reducing this country to Third World status ? Oh ......hang on ....... er

14. Excellent programme on the Beeb about the Libor scandal. Favourite moment for me was when Bob Diamond, the 'whizz kid CEO' of Barclays was up before the HoC Treasury Committee, after his fingers had been prized from his desk. He had a smart answer to every question but one. An MP (can't remember who) asked him 'Mr Diamond, do you know the three principles on which the Quaker founders of Barclays set up the business ?' Total silence, so the MP enlightened him. 'honesty. integrity and fair-dealing'. Watch the programme on i-player if you missed it, you will decide that your money is safer under the mattress than in the hands of these arrogant, greedy, incompetent criminals and the ineffective regulators and politicians who have the power to rein them in.