CO Inspection weapon cleaning GRRRRRRRRR!!

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by celticwarrior3551, May 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now I as an Infantry soldier was always taught that maintanence and cleaning of your weapon was a personal responsability (My weapon, my kit, myself), so why therefore is it that we have once again reached that time of year when the CO does his inspection and all the company weapons get dragged out of the armoury and cleaned. Granted they should be clean anyway (I know my blokes are as I inspect them) so it shouldn't take too long. I have several points however:

1. I cannot believe for a second that the CO will inspect any weapons, surely it's just a peek in the armoury/paperwork and nothing more.

2. If it is a personal responsability to insure your weapon is clean, then why do my blokes and I have to drag them out and inspect/clean them, surely any gopping weapon owners should be charged/AGAI'd

3. Funny that the officers have scheduled a meeting on said training night, it seems we will be asked to do jobs which our officers wouldn't do themselves.
  2. But surely the overall responsibility for your weapons falls to your CO? Thus he has to check that your looking after them properly. If he does trust you then it woudl be a short inspection, if its a long one, he clearly has issues which he is checking upon!

3. Fine he is welcome to inspect them, but my point is that if any weapons that fall below his standard then their owners (+NCO's if they're a tom) should be discaplined accordingly. Why must the entire company suffer to save the lazy ones?.
  4. I would imagine he'll have your unit Armourer doing the actual inspection?

Or is a CO really going to start stripping down rifles?
  5. Does the same person always get issued the same weapon?

Every single time, no fail? If not, you can't discipline the person who got it wrong because you don't know who they are.

Does the same NCO always inspect weapons? If not, then see my line above.

Does every weapon get issued for firing/cleaning at least once a year, and thus cleaned once a year?

I take your point, but if they are clean, a quick pull-through should suffice.

If they are not clean, find out who isn't cleaning theirs properly and sort it out afterwards.
  6. Complete the weapon cleaning as required by the CO. All weapons found dirty etc should be recorded, make a check aginst the register and issue a list to be published on orders so the individuals can be dealt with. Give a copy of the list to the Adjt and sit back...Unless you are the SSM?RSM in which case get a grip...

Seriously though, as Oneshot states above, the CO is responsible for those weapons, and is obliged to carry out inspections. By the sound of it you won't have much to do as you have kept on top of it.
  7. Remember- Any CO is the figure head of his unit, he in theory owns all the weapons, vehicles etc , so therefore part of his job is to conduct checks on all his equipment. This is done by his Line Managers. :twisted:
  8. Be nice to see if your CO can do a proper function check tho; "a rifle eh, I remember one of those..." :D
  9. Why on earth are you concerned about this this. Why have you started a thread on ARRSE about this. This is just so basic (PREs etc).......................

10. Because it depends on how the armoury has been run. If the arms storeman has been doing their job during "TA time", and the PSI has been doing their job during the rest of the week, no dramas. But there are plenty of ways the system can f**k up. Mostly when rifles are issued to people who don't "own" them (for a number of understandable reasons).

For example, the new PSI decides to reorganise the armoury by rank and alphabetical order, and everyone ends up with a new butt number. Or a recruit manages to get their rifle back into the armoury without a proper check, and they don't know any better, or a crow 2Lt checks weapon cleanliness, but hasn't got his Pl Sgt there to make sure he's doing it right.

I got to wind up the CO once - we got amalgamated, CO headed off to a new BHQ, I inherited butt number 1. Took it out, and it was filthy. Next weekend:
    "Colonel, you might want to have a word with your driver"
    - "why's that, GB"
    "Because your rifle was filthy"

Two insults for the price of one :) The mitigating circumstance was that the QPSI of the time would issue butts 1 and 2 to anyone needing them for the 0.22 range, and wasn't too hot at checking them afterwards.
  11. my very last unit.....never had any weapons......we had to borrow weapons on the yanks for our yearly test!!!!....M16's and strange pistols!!!
  12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Get a grip and stop whining. The COs inspection will probably be pre ECI. Failure at the ECI reflects badly on the unit, and so he will ensure that everything has been done to ensure a pass.

Excuses that "but it was Pte Blogg's fault, it was his weapon that was dirty" will not accompany the failure report to Brigade.

If you have kept on top of it, it will just be a routine clean and check. If it takes more than that then you are not quite the super soldiers you think you are.
  13. as far as i remember the co's inspedction doesnt it tend to happen as follows

1900 we all get in early to make sure everything is alright
    1930 parade and wondering where the hell the co is
    2000 the CO finally turns up does the fastest inspection know to man doesnt actually check anything
    2100 CO has a word to us all in the dome and then gets the hell out of dodge.
    2130 we all end up in the bar- the co not actually having looked at anything
  14. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

If inspections are called - and for some reason the Army likes to call many or varying types 8); then it boils down to a few types:

1. The CO, looking at one of his sub-units is unsure of the competence of the sub-unit therefore he has to do an in-depth inspection.

2. He knows the sub-unit well and trusts them to be on the ball then the inspection may be a tad quicker.

3. Combination of both - just get on with it, the CO is entitled, and quite rightly so.

15. Why are you surprised?

You know that there is always additional cleaning before any inspection of any item irrespective of how clean it should be kept.

Coincidentally, attendence on training nights always seemed worse right before a C.O.'s inspection. I wonder why.