Co Durham Woollybacks Lose Pub After Fighting Pikies

Sounds a bit harsh - closing the boozer because the Pikeys might come back. The locals could have had chance to fortify the place and make some home-made Claymores to get rid of a few of the fair, clean and honest 'travelling folk'

A VILLAGE pub has been shut down after a customer had a sawn off shotgun forced into his mouth during a vicious brawl.

Police were called to The Flintlock Inn, in West Cornforth, County Durham, on Monday night (February 26) after a fight broke out between locals and a group of travellers from the Bradford area.

Sgt Tim Robson described the incident as ‘a quite atrocious set of violent offences’ which involved people linked to the pub brandishing weapons and inflicting a catalogue of wounds upon patrons.

He told Durham County Council’s statutory licensing sub-committee, which met at Chester-le-Street Civic Centre today (Wednesday, February 27), that members of the travelling fraternity, who described themselves as bare knuckle fighters, had been drinking in the pub after attending a funeral in the area.

A row broke out and associates of those running the pub left the premises only to return to the scene wearing ski-masks and carrying weapons.

At least one sawn off shotgun was brandished along with knives and baseball bats.
Injuries sustained on the night included stab and slash wounds, double fractures of the wrist, a wound to the crown of the head and numerous cuts and bruises.

Sgt Robson said: “This was a very serious, nasty heated and protracted assault which took place.
“Clearly retribution is likely if it continues to stay open and we have serious concerns there will be immediate retaliation and violence.”

He also told councillors that the CCTV system which covers the pub was switched off for 40 minutes during the whole violent incident, which he believes was done intentionally by the pub management.
And he said the designated premises supervisor, Nicola Bush, who was not in charge on the night, had shown a ‘lax attitude’ towards the role.

Members of the committee agreed to suspend the Flintlock’s premises licence with immediate effect and remove Nicola Bush as designated premises supervisor.

Coun Colin Carr, chairman of the committee, said: “Taking into account the extremely serious nature of the incident there is no alternative.”

Earlier in the day magistrates sitting at Newton Aycliffe had also granted a closure order for the premises.
Durham police have confirmed that two men and a woman have been arrested in connection with the incident.

Pub shut after night of violence (From The Northern Echo)

So pickeys over stepped the mark with the only community in the UK that a, fucking hates pickeys and b, has shotguns and I'm supposed to be surprised a pickey was offered a free removal of his head?

The report is not clear cut at all.

"A row broke out and associates of those running the pub left the premises only to return to the scene wearing ski-masks and carrying weapons"

Who was threatened - the Travellers or the locals?

The report is not clear cut at all.

"A row broke out and associates of those running the pub left the premises only to return to the scene wearing ski-masks and carrying weapons"

Who was threatened - the Travellers or the locals?
Bigeye, that fact that it was the Woollybacks that went and got tooled-up isn't in doubt. To be honest, if I had to go up against some Pikey bare-knuckle boxer I'd want to be tooled-up, too.

So pickeys over stepped the mark with the only community in the UK that a, fucking hates pickeys and b, has shotguns and I'm supposed to be surprised a pickey was offered a free removal of his head?
So, these pickeys, are they the travellers that roam the countryside turning down camp sites because they're not good enough?

As they are termed "associates" that tends to imply they were not simply blokes in the boozer...
Then they turned up with a sawn off and ski masks

That sort of thing tends to draw plods attention and cause a chronic sense of humour failure in your local peeler.....

Bigeye, that fact that it was the Woollybacks that went and got tooled-up isn't in doubt. To be honest, if I had to go up against some Pikey bare-knuckle boxer I'd want to be tooled-up, too.
Quite. The fact that the manager turned the CCTV off to allow the attack to remain off record and that the associates of the 'landlord' have access to and are willing to brandish illegal firearms, knives, brickbats and other emergency weaponry would seem to suggest that the sub-committee made the correct decision.

It's with the innocent travellers, parched after a hard day's honest toil and seeking nothing more than a quiet pint, that my sympathy lies.

Vinnie, remind me - where's The High Chapperal - and any idea why it's called that?

BTW, is the dolomite quarry still going in West Cornforth? Steatleys, something like that? I remember getting sub-base from there for road projects around the Boro in the 70's.

B

Biscuits_AB

West Cornforth is a tip anyway. No right minded individual would ever wish to live there. Can't speak on behalf of the banjo playing members of society, but if you've got a squint, bad teeth and suspicions that you sister might also be your mum...head on down to West Cornforth. You'll be in good company. Removing it's pub won't eradicate their social life either. There's glue sniffing, dog fighting and all sorts of other activities for the family to be had. West Cornforth. The original set for 'The Hills Have Eyes'...(albeit squint ones).

Don't know when it was taken, but if you go on Google Earth street view, the Flintlock is boarded up with several letters missing off the name and a banner saying 'business opportunity for a new lessee'. I even felt depressed and threatened just looking online at the utter shithole of a place

Doggy as in dog rough.

I was doing a job up there about a year ago and had a pint in The Flintlock, very quiet that day, just a few locals nursing their pints and grooming the wool between their toes.

Pretty sure the quarry is still open

West Cornforth is a tip anyway. No right minded individual would ever wish to live there. Can't speak on behalf of the banjo playing members of society, but if you've got a squint, bad teeth and suspicions that you sister might also be your mum...head on down to West Cornforth. You'll be in good company. Removing it's pub won't eradicate their social life either. There's glue sniffing, dog fighting and all sorts of other activities for the family to be had. West Cornforth. The original set for 'The Hills Have Eyes'...(albeit squint ones).
Sounds like Brecon to me.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
so it was the pikeys who went crying to the police then?