CMT1 inTA

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by menston134, Sep 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm a state registerd Paramedic of 12 years and i'm about to join the RAMC TA as a CMT. I have been told that as a Paramedic after basic training I will convert into a CMT1. I also hold a Paramedic assessors qualifcation and a National CBRN decontaminaion qualifcation. Can any one tell me what promtion prospects I should expect after basic training ?
    I'm a 38 year old male. thanks for any help.

2. well mate,u should at least start off at full cpl,that's if there is any slots.as for sgt,same again, it's all about slots.Some units promotion policy's amaze me,best of luck mate.

3. Since the army seems to be struggling to get its CMT1s converted to Paramedic it seems only natural that you are already well ahead of the pack.

However its military skills you will need to gain and that takes time.

My advice would be join up asap, do the conversion (if needed) but then get yourself on as many military courses as you can as soon as you can.

Your profession will keep you up to date with the medical saide far more than the TA can and the army will do the rest.

Also look around, give serious consideration to becomeing an RAMC badged medic with a non AMS unit, Infantry, Engineers, etc they will make the most of your skills and give you the respect (and promotion) due to you.

Best of luck
    Cardinal

4. As stated in your other post:

I don't think the quals will give you rank straight away. You need to train as a soldier and a CMT. They are a far cry from being a paramedic. You need experience in many areas of the military before getting promoted and the confidential reports play the biggest part in picking rank up. You need a couple of recomendations for promotion first and that will only come with a couple of years in a unit.

Your quals sound good and if you adjust well into the military lifestyle and way of thinking Im sure you will do well but there will be no instant promotion to CPL or SGT for having them.

If you want rank and have the Quals speak to your unit and see what else might tiggle your fancy. If you have the quals for a commission let them know and Im sure they will look into it for you.

Good luck with you career.

5. thats TA SAS, including medics but require civvi qualified paramedics.

You dont have to do selection since you would be part of the support eliment, but where better to learn military skills?

Of course you would start at the beginning, even doing a recruit course and military training and there would be no jumping rank.

However it would give you the best outlet for your paramedic training, provide you with high quality military training and make you an obvious choice for future promotion later on, perhaps in other units.

The SBS (R) require you to have military experience but I understand that 21, 23 and 63 SAS sigs dont have this requirement.

Something to consider anyway.

All the best
    Cardinal

6. once again,it depends on the unit that you go to,depending on your experience,if there is a slot and they think you have the med qualifications,they will bend the "rules" to suit themselves.I have seen it done and know it still happens.You may have to wait a few months.while the head shed fiddle about with the no's.

7. don't join the TA and start worrying about rank - that's for the regulars. join the TA for the fun, for what you can give and what you can get, and along the way, get promoted and take on the responsibility that goes with it - but have fun first.

8. don't join the TA and start worrying about rank - that's for the regulars. join the TA for the fun, for what you can give and what you can get, and along the way, get promoted and take on the responsibility that goes with it - but have fun first.