CMT to EMT/paramedic its happened!

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by EMTCMT, Aug 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is just a quick post for all those disillusioned CMT's, the new tech training has happened, i have just done 3 months training and completed the theory part of my EMT, I am now working on A&E ambulances (yes with the flashing lights and fun sounds!!) There are 3 of us in all which got through the selection process, and passed the course, we are now doing the job, which I have highly enjoyed so far. Any info you need pm me and i will do my danest to help. We are all then going on to do state registration, this has all been paid for by AMD. The oppotunity is there if you want so grab it with both hands and give it your all.

2. Well done fella I hope all goes well and the training is rolled out to more CMT's and budget cuts don't banjax it!!.

One question though what was the selection process? Was it clinincally based assessment? or an assessment on butt snorkling techniques?!! :)!!

You must understand why I ask, as most of the Gucci courses handed out whilst I was in, was based on who was the best arrse kisser and not who was the best man/woman for the job.
  3. It was based on clinical experience and we had to be put forward by our respective CO, also had to show that you had continued learning, volunteer work also helped, we were interviewed by a panel of 3 officers (will not give names sorry) who decided if we would be competent this was also based on reports and also results from CMT1/BARTS. We were then met by a driving assessment by one of the driving instructors from the trust we are now continuing our learning with ( you need to have cat C licence before going on the course). Hope this shows that we had to have been activly bettering ourselves through our army career as it was not based just on ARMY courses but things we did off our own back. Hope this answers your question and thank you for the support. :w00t:
  4. Read Will H****'s article in the latest RAMC Magazine for more information on the selection process.

FWIW, I don't see a straight conversion of CMT to EMT being the way ahead, but the SRP (Mil) becoming a career-enhancing AdQual. Retaining clinical currency will need very careful, professional career management: not something of which, for all their strengths, the AMS MCM Div has proven itself wholly capable.

5. Fortunately for me I no longer darken the Admin corridors or Med Centre receptions so I don't get the Corps rag!!

I do agree with the second statement, the AMS have a hard time organising and transitioning a good turd so I find it hard to believe this will be managed correctly.

No doubt it will be passed to some mong MSO with no medical understanding whatsoever to administer and be royally f*cked up, I hope not as it is a small light at the end of a tunnel for any CMT however the emphasis is on small.

I hope this is the first of many changes to the CEG, it may no longer effect me but I understand the frustrations that shackle the CMT having spent 13 years as one, I won't hold my breath that more will follow but it is at least a step in the right direction.
  6. they been talking about this for years, never thought it would actually happen. finally, a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel for cmt's
  7. Well-Done and congratulations - you earned it all the best for the future :D
  8. Does this mean that the RLC drivers are able to do blues and twos courses to enable them to drive you guys safely.
  9. And the time bar?? if there is one that is....once qualified and the AMS fail to help you maintain the qual, how long before you can jump ship??
  10. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Well 3 down, only 1797 to go.

Cynical, I know but I waited 22 years for it. Saw a glimmer of hope in 84 in Berlin until the powers that be found out and quashed that little perk.

Are EMT's given priority to go on Ops to practice their skills?
  11. CMT's with Quals I thought I would never see the day. This means that they will need to use that grey matter thats been collecting dust since the start of their career.

Select your Hook, cast ya line, sit back with a cold tinny and wait for one to bite...
  12. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Nice one K, nice to have your words of common sense back. Unlike mine and Foxy's!
  13. Karabiner, somebody likes you after all! Mind you, I still think you're a tube so ram it! :D
  14. Whilst in the UK we should maintain a ambulance service for the Garrison we are in then you guys get experience that are transferable to field ops. I am sick of hearing that infantry RMAs are getting more experience. Its not fair on you and definately not fair on your patients. Even a basic first responder service is better than nothing.
  15. :) The time bar is 3 years once you have completed training. This is an amazing oppotunity which I am enjoying. Once completed we go back to our Regt's and work for the local NHS trust, the experience is next to none, I have been to falls, RTC's, cardiac arrests and the list go's on, i have only been out of the class room for 3 weeks!!! And what K says is true, the mergers have started through out the country and should be in place by next year, there is another course starting in Jan I believe, and wish them all the luck in the world. I am looking forward to going onto paramedic once I have done my 9 months on the A&E vech. :D Thought I would post the EMT/Paramedic thing as there are so many disgruntled CMT's, but now we all have a chance to chose what we want to do.