Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CMT - TA

Gamer 69

Old-Salt
Hi - looking to join a unit and I was wondering about CMT.

Life story:

5 years - AGC - 2 mobilizations
5 years - HCA (unqualified nurse)- Trauma & Orthopedics, Mental Health, got the vocational NVQ
12 years - Accountant (NHS) - part qualified. Note all in a health environment - community mental health trust, acute hospital etc.

Other: Psychology degree.

I don't really want to do finance, because I don't really want to be doing more of the same to be honest. I also want to do something a bit more fulfilling that doing clerical stuff.

Is any of the above valid for a CMT? I'm not expecting to be a paramedic or any other fancy training. For me it's crossover of skills I already have that may be useful.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

IIRC the ability to count above potato and you are in

Dr Death

War Hero
Go for it, it depends what you want from the reserves, but previous experience will do you no harm.
That said a lot of the time will be role play & providing cover on exercises.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
We had a qualified Chippy out on one herrick tour, technically he was a CMT but clearly we just used him to make stuff out of whatever wood could be salvaged* during "Op Womble"

*stolen from the Americans and contractors

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Hi - looking to join a unit and I was wondering about CMT.

Life story:

5 years - AGC - 2 mobilizations
5 years - HCA (unqualified nurse)- Trauma & Orthopedics, Mental Health, got the vocational NVQ
12 years - Accountant (NHS) - part qualified. Note all in a health environment - community mental health trust, acute hospital etc.

Other: Psychology degree.

I don't really want to do finance, because I don't really want to be doing more of the same to be honest. I also want to do something a bit more fulfilling that doing clerical stuff.

Is any of the above valid for a CMT? I'm not expecting to be a paramedic or any other fancy training. For me it's crossover of skills I already have that may be useful.

depending on how much you want to put in there are the field hospital units that meet regularly and the ones that are only on paper who meet for two weeks every year. Line units you need to be in a HQ coy med section with decent staffing to get the most out of it otherwise you're just a first aider.

badge RAMC from day one though it saves a lot of hassle.

you used to be able to do the course then go on to a three week hospital placement - I've no idea what they do now the mil hospitals have been scrapped but you've done HCA work and that's pretty much it.

Hopefully continuity training has improved but I topped up my knowledge with a copy of 'emergency care in the streets' by nancy caroline. which became the basis of the UK paramedic manuals.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
Most units will have PIDs for CMTs- you need not limit yourself to RAMC units.

If you have been out for more than 6 years you will have to apply online and follow the selection process in the same way as a first time applicant and you may also be required to complete basic training courses again.

Although as a qualified healthcare professional you may be eligible to apply to join the reserves via the Professionally Qualified Entry pathway. This is likely to have bearing on phase two requirements. If you are applying for a professionally qualified role, you'll need to go through a Selection Board before to your initial training. This is to assess whether your skills are suitable for use in the Army.

You are best to contact the AR unit you are interested in directly.

Last edited:

Gamer 69

Old-Salt
Most units will have PIDs for CMTs- you need not limit yourself to RAMC units.

If you have been out for more than 6 years you will have to apply online and follow the selection process in the same way as a first time applicant and you may also be required to complete basic training courses again.

Although as a qualified healthcare professional you may be eligible to apply to join the reserves via the Professionally Qualified Entry pathway. This is likely to have bearing on phase two requirements. If you are applying for a professionally qualified role, you'll need to go through a Selection Board before to your initial training. This is to assess whether your skills are suitable for use in the Army.

You are best to contact the AR unit you are interested in directly.

Thanks for this, I'm not a qualified healthcare professional and I will have to do the training again.

I'm part qualified towards being a chartered accountant.

My Psychology degree is BPS accredited, but I haven't done postgraduate training towards clinical or counselling registration. It looks like even then, qualified psychologists aren't required in the army. However alongside the NVQ (which is really just what anyone doing the job should be capable of doing), I am hoping this may be relevant towards the CMT.

I find it really difficult to gauge what a CMT is doing. It isn't helped by Army recruiting saying that all CMT's are effectively at paramedic level. I was a competent HCA and unlike some of my trained colleagues I didn't flap when something happens However there is a world of difference between a competent HCA and a paramedic. I am now, starting to feel that this is bollocks and the CMT is a grading scale.

Latest Threads