Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Muckster, Mar 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now some have accused me of being a grumpy old fart (and I agree with the old and fart bit). But in recent years our CMT's, the boys at the sharp end, on the ground, have excelled themselves, and continue to prove their worth every day.

I have a little issue to the "Paramedic". For one thing why? When the guys on the ground are doing exactly what we need, why do we need a paramedic to be trained in civvie street, doing loads of patient transfers for elderly folks, picking up louts who are sh1tf@ced on a weekend, and basically attending incidents that have little or no relevance to todays battlefields?

Instead of justifying "paramedic status" for the chosen few, whose numbers I imagine won't fill the required slots on one OET never mind two conflicts at once, we should be looking to get paramedic status for all current and competent CMT 1's.
  2. Cor don't start this one again!!!

Protectionism, titles, professional bodies, shoite management etc

Gives me a feckin headache.

Prehospital care is not hugely complicated, Paramedics may dissapear up their own arrses with this ecp thing. All health care professional appear to have huge chips on shoulders no matter where they are on the food chain, HCA----Nurses (spits)----GP---Neurosurgeons and all between, below and above

Does this only occur in the medical field?
  3. Well, situations change, what was good for the goose back then, may not be good for the gander now
  4. Your answer is almost as vague as mine LOL
  5. This debate has been rattling on for years and will continue to do so for the next 10 centuries.......nobody gives a sh*t about CMT's (except CMT's) in the RAMC.
  6. Having been a CMt for 22 years and now working for the ambulance service. I think that the intention of this thread how ever well intentioned has missed the point slightly. Its not the paramedics that block CMT recognition its the MOD and HCP.although highly trained there are gaps in CMT training that would need to be addressed before they could gain full recognition also the fact that the higher up the ranks you go the further away from your trade you get as has been highlighted in several threads on here refernce clinical time.
  7. In all the years I have known you Chezza I didn't realise you could join that many words together.
  8. I had help
  9. Interesting point Muckster, but what about when the Medic is not on the Battlefield? (like the other 90% of his career). When they are at the MRS looking after families, or even in a field unit when the QM is brought in beacause he's piled in with his dodgy ticker on CO's PT?

What about when he leaves the Mob altogether? Should he be expected to start from scratch as a forty year old man in the pre-hospital care industry?
    I seem to remember plenty of complaining that we never had any civvy quals and that no-one in civvy street took us seriously. Now, thankfully, because of all of the good work our guys and gals are doing abroad, you will find Military speakers at pre-hospital conferences, a Military section on the BASICS and BPA websites, and even a whole Mil day at this years' Trauma Care conference.

The whole pre-hospital care sub-specialty is in a constant state of change, and for the first time ever, the Military Medic is considered to be a very real part of that change. In order for that to continue, we must be able to produce Medics who are not only capable, but also qualified by professional bodies' standards as well as our own. Gone are the days where we could just do our own thing and say b0llocks to civvy street, if we want to be consulted or included in future changes in pre-hospital care, then we have to be remain credible, both as individuals and as a body of professionals. Penetrating and ballistic injury comprise a very, very small part of pre-hospital care, and although on the increase, the demand for it outside the battlefield is relatively small (unless you live in Bogota or Johannesburg).

You are definitely correct that Paramedic registration should not be a pre-requisite to deployment, and no-one is saying that it should, ideed, there are more than a few civvy paramedics out on the circuit who are having a very hard time of it because they lack the ability to hold casualties, improvise, or work under duress.
    I definitely think though, that giving the CMT a paramedic career path to follow, if that's what they choose, is a good thing. If handled correctly, it should provide some diversity and academic progress to the CMT trade. But, to agree with part of your argument Muckster, it is only one part of the jigsaw and should not be viewed as the one and only thing that everyone should aim for.

On a personal note, I found that being a HPC registered Paramedic made made it a lot easier for me to keep my skills up. All I had to do was ring the local Ambulance service or a private company and get some shift work. Try doing that without any accreditation! I would hate to see things go back to the way they were, I remember not doing a single day's medicine in my first 5 years in the RAMC! I could tell you the ins and outs of my 432 though!

10. and his face was shut
  11. My question would be why bother ?

Come out of the army having a valuable trade and experiece like CMT - join the ambulance service get paid peanuts, get puked on and abused on a Friday night and spend 80% of your time either doing or whinging about doing PTS runs.

Use the CMT qual - do the offshore medic course, get a job in industry the job may not be fantastic ap but at least it pays reasonably well.....

Dons tin lid and body armour......
  12. I think the expression....pot, kettle, colour check...over???? Springs to mind :wink:
  13. My answer,

Who wants to leave a job that takes you away from your home to sandy dusty conditions?

Even the rigs mean your away from home alot. You can argue with me that 4 on 4 off is good and i'd agree, but you wont win that one with my wife!!

Most of us want to leave and have the stability of a local job.
  14. Or do what I do after 20 years as a Paramedic in London, move onto the solo response units where you don't do any PTS/transfers etc and just get sent to calls that need a medical response.
  15. You mean that you actually go to patients that are ill, and are not used as a clockstopper for this government's latest fukced up target?

Whatever next.