CMT or CTM for MERT?

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Djmk123, Aug 15, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys, I was planning on applying as a Combat Medical Technician, with the intent to try and get onto a MERT if I could, however I have also seen that it's the Combat Team Medics who go on the MERT, can anyone clarify this, or can both jobs go for a MERT, as I've always been interested in first aid/paramedic type stuff, and the MERT seems like a brilliant way to be able to do what I've been wanting to do for a while. Any help would be appreciated :)

2. Forget it, by the time you get in and get trained for any level there won't be anything to be on a MERT for. If you are a serious contender try an ambulance service.

• Like Like x 1
  3. And, on a side note, would an RAF Medic be more or less likely to be able to get onto a MERT, because whether it's the AAC or RAF flying the Chinook might affect who is onboard I assume.

4. I've been thinking about an ambulance service as well, but even in training only, i think i would much more enjoy being in the military equivilant, as opposed to the civvie side of it. A bit wierd i know, but i intend on joining the military anyway (again, something i have wanted to do for a while), but what exact job is the problem :\

5. Don't join thinking you're going to zoom about in helicopters saving lives, by the time you qualify it will all be over.

6. There will always be another war.

7. Indeed there will, chances are though that the OP will spend his time in the traditional fashion - Continuously putting up and taking down tentage at a medical unit, sat in the Med Cen administering jabs and being a bit wet at all other units.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

With that kind of foresight, you're clearly wasted as an RQ. Hang on, you're not CDS are you?!

9. I was merely trying to point out that the current tempo of operations is coming to an end, the OP should not join with the expectation of an exciting life of lifesaving and helicopters. It will almost certainly be as spaz describes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Maybe, maybe not. When I joined up, I wanted to do heroic shit not unlike the OP. I also knew that at the time there was sod all going on but then the rest is history (or will be come end 2014). As someone else sagely pointed out, there'll be another 'war' somewhere where that sort of capability is required. That's why people join, to do the exciting stuff. If he'd said he wanted to join up and do exciting stuff on HERRICK then you're absolutely right, it ain't gonna happen. Besides, even if he doesn't come swinging over the treetops on the end of a fastrope with a syringe between his teeth, at least training for it has to be infintely more exciting than being a doley.

11. MERT is made up of Paramedics, Nurses and Docs. They predominantly come from 4626sqn RAF. I should imagine that the chances of a CMT getting on the MERT are about as likely as a jewish pope - possible but very unlikely.

12. Hence my suggestion that he go down the civilian ambulance route. He seems to want to do the lifesaving emergency thing primarily so getting trained and experienced and staying current coupled with a reserve commitment would make him available if needed but occupied usefully when not.

13. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

But why go civ when he wants to join the Forces full time? Interestingly, the majority of paramedics I know tend to deal with utter shite day in day out and 'real' trauma forms a tiny percentage of their work. To get to the point where he could work on HEMS or as a First Responder (for example) would take an extraordinarily long time, probably as long as it would take in the Army (or RAF).

14. I just got the impression that he wanted to be medic first soldier second.

15. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

There's a cadre of regular paramedics and nurses on Tac Med Wg, but as you say some of those on MERT are from 4626 Sqn RAuxAF.

Joining as a CMT, chance of getting on MERT = nil

Joining as a RAF MA, after several years of experience, aeromed training, selection for one of few paramedic courses and then successful completion of MERT training, chance of getting on MERT = better

• Like Like x 1