cms(r) part a weekend 1 advice please

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by siggy, Mar 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Would someone be so kind as to give me some advice, on what to take with me on on the CMS(R) part A weekend 1?? just some pearls of wisdom needed for a newbie!
  2. - A sense of humour
    - A positive, enthusiastic attitude
    - a notebook and pen
    - KFS and a mug
    - boot polish and brushes

Death by powerpoint awaits!
  3. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

A padlock.
  4. Whatever it says on your joining instruction

I take it you mean Phase One Alpha rather than CMS(R) which is a 2 week course run at the end of basic training. This will be your first w/e then which will probably be a your TAC or another within the Regt/Bn, this will be a fairly casual affair as you probably haven't even got your uniform yet, so can't do much. Many units use this w/e as a method of selection, so be careful and don't kick the arrse out ot it.

Kit, those this mentioned previously are fine, I would also bring sports kit as there should be a run or similar added, or even a sports activity. Bring money for the bar, essential.

Is siggy a nick name or TA career choice ? If you are in a *ahem* proper Regt and coming to play down on the south coast this w/e I might see you there, I'll be the old fart with the very shiny boots
  5. Do you know which training centre you are going to?
  6. welly head, siggy is just a nickname relating to my surname, im not going royal signals.

I am joining 165 port and maritime in marchwood, and my basic is being done at rlc grantham in linconshire.

A padlock is good advice but i have already thought of that one! cheers anyway sixty, some people suggest brining an iron, is it worth it?

What will we get up to on this weekend?
  7. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Yep. Take an iron. You'll get your first kit issue on this weekend (my lot are based at Grantham)

I'll PM you a rough itinerary. Is it the 20th of April you're going?
  8. Lots of induction training, how to iron your kit, march in a straight line, salute the ones that don't do any real work etc. Sports kit is a good idea as you may do a PFT (1 and half mile run, sit ups and press ups) so be carefull not to overdo the Friday night bar sketch!!

Enthusiasm is the most important thing that they look for in a new recruit, hopefully everything else will fall into place as the training progresses. The 'old git' in shiny boots will accept that it is your first time in green and will give loads of advice on what to bring on the next weekend so listen very very carefully as he may only say it once.

Good luck me old china