CMS (R): Malta barracks or Grantham

lambooner

Clanker
Afternoon all,

I am currently attending Malta Barracks every other weekend to complete my CMS(R). Now i've just had a phone call from my unit telling me they have plans to pull me from Malta and put me on a 2 week course at Grantham in april.

My question is does anyone have experience of CMS at Grantham?

I probably wont have a choice in the matter, but im quite happy at Malta (staff are good, blokes are a laugh and the scoffs not bad!) and seems a waste of weekends to now go to Grantham.

Just trying to weigh up Malta vs Grantham

Cheers

I now I'm old fashioned, but do *you* want to do the two weeker?

If you are on say weekend five, is there a much point in re-doing a lot of the lessons?

Are you sure that they are "pulling you" lamb? 6 weekends at a RTC (parts a and b) followed by two weeks part C at an ATR is the normal process for non inf.

PrayingMantis

War Hero
i have done the same course that you are on now,
its 6 weekends (part 1A & 1B) and THEN 2 weeks at grantham (part 1C)

lambooner

Clanker
Well my Ssgt def said his plan was to sack aldershot, and restart in grantham - whether he has the wrong end of the stick is a different matter!!

Cheers guys, i shall double check with him that wires arent getting crossed!

lambooner said:
Well my Ssgt def said his plan was to sack aldershot, and restart in grantham

can you find out why he wants to sack Aldershot?

Is it a big drive for him friday and sunday?...

apparantly he's sick of all his SUTs coming back talking about "swords".

Command_doh said:
Grantham is a hole. Been going there for 12 years now, and its like stepping into the Twilight Zone. Good luck.

Oh yes, they gave it a new naafi in the hope of injecting some life into the place and has suceeded in making it have the same atmosphere as a airport depature lounge with no departures.

lambooner

Clanker
Yes mate, im in a national TA unit. The reason why he wants to sack Grantham is that its a pain getting rifles from my unit to Aldershot every other weekend.

Out of interest how easy is it to sign a rifle out from a unit other than my own??? As this would solve the logistical problem that we currently face.

Cheers

No they don't hold their own weapons, the plan was for units sending Recruits to Malta Bks to lodge a suitable number of weapons there. However I believe there were problems with the armoury and this plan didn't happen. As ever I stand to be corrected but someone more current with the situation at Malta.

lambooner said:
Afternoon all,

I am currently attending Malta Barracks every other weekend to complete my CMS(R). Now i've just had a phone call from my unit telling me they have plans to pull me from Malta and put me on a 2 week course at Grantham in april.

My question is does anyone have experience of CMS at Grantham?

I probably wont have a choice in the matter, but im quite happy at Malta (staff are good, blokes are a laugh and the scoffs not bad!) and seems a waste of weekends to now go to Grantham.

Just trying to weigh up Malta vs Grantham

Cheers

Hi Lambooner

I have been doing my CMS (R) at RTC Grantham and overall it’s not that that bad. The scoff isn't bad and the NCO's there are great, especially the PTI. Some of the blocks are a tad scruffy but are okay in my humble opinion although there aren't that many sinks in some blocks so be sure to be quick getting up :wink:

The main drawback is the Canteen which is run by a civvie company and last time we were there were very unreasonable about us being late in from training. (The PAYD system isn't great either 25p for an extra sausage!) However upon arrival you’re given a diner card for a £1 deposit which covers meals.

I'd just like to make it clear this is all based on experiences from the few times I have been there and I acknowledge the fact I am only still a recruit

hope this helps :D

Barrack Room Lawyer said:
Command_doh said:
Grantham is a hole. Been going there for 12 years now, and its like stepping into the Twilight Zone. Good luck.

Oh yes, they gave it a new naafi in the hope of injecting some life into the place and has suceeded in making it have the same atmosphere as a airport depature lounge with no departures.

and one that is only open on friday ans sat nights FORCING you to go it royston vasey if you want a pint when you are on a 2 week course

Emkay

Old-Salt
Grantham is ok, I did my CMS(R) there and had no dramas. And I know what people mean when they say the NAFFI is like an airport departure lounge.

Overall just go for it.

stefm33

Clanker
Just a quick question about grantham... im due to got there soon for both my selection weekend and recruit training, and was wondering what the training staff are like there ??

crosbunny

Clanker
Grantham is not bad the DS there are all switched on, if you listen keep it shut and do as your told your have a good time. In the evening the DS even show there human!!!

have fun it's not for long anyway

Latest Threads