Cmon You Bishops !

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by lsquared, Dec 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yet again the 'Men of God' speak plainly and the truth!

I have just heard a 'government spokesman' say, in response to what is clearly a heartfelt and widely felt view:

"..........we have taken half a million kids out of poverty.......... ".

Amazing, I had no idea that baby goats were this disreputable government's speciality.

Such a shame about the children surviving in THIS country with barely enough to eat or clothes to wear. (Does calling children: 'kids', garner votes?). If so, what a f*cking pity, but, oh! how Bliarish!

How any government can ENCOURAGE it's population to garner DEBT, defeats my limited intellect. I thought that DEBT was to be avoided at all costs. (Shows how ignorant I am I suppose).

Oh! How I wish I had not paid off my mortgage - 'Stalin' would have seen to that. Oh! How I wish that I had NO SAVINGS - 'Stalin' is stealing those at 20% per pound that they earn.

I've never inherited a penny, but I have saved. Why therefore, is this disgusting, un-elected monster, taking a tax from my - already tax-paid- savings?

Come on 'Sven', and you 'Ashie', explain that - you pair of quasi-Marxist tw*ts! Go on you two - load your credit cards, default on your mortgage, you know that 'Josef' Brown will bale you out!

It is, or should be, a serious cause of concern It is also a disgrace!
  2. lsquared, I understand that what is going on in Ukraine is of little interest to anyone here, but I just got off the phone to my mother and .............. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pissedoff:

If you want to see MORALLY, INTELLECTUALLY and FINANCIALY BANKRUPT government look at Ukrainian one: by presidential decree no money can be withdrawn from the banks due to the crisis, and since most salaries are now paid into the banks people can't get their salaries, can't get their pensions either, I'm not even talking about people's savings!
  3. Three little words. Right. To. Buy.

Debt, something to be avoided at all costs indeed. Pity certain previous Prime Ministers bore the lessons of history in mind about as well as the current incumbent. We might not have had the grotesquely inflated housing market of the last decade or so.
  4. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Debt is not necessarily a bad thing. Uncontrolled Debt with no assets to back it up, is.
  5. I can't stand religious freaks, but in this instance "By Jingo They're Right".
  6. Agreed, but that's not what our resident Maggie-worshipper said. I was simply pointing out the difference and reminding him of who exactly put a whole new class of people into the biggest source of debt in modern Britain. :twisted:

Moderate debt is a useful tool and no harm done provided people can a) make a reasonable evaluation of what they'll eventually be paying versus the value to them of the goods and/or services; and b) pay it back. Debt as a way of life is, to my mind, fraud at best.
  7. Who put a new class into the biggest source of debt? Er-the banks?

You're right, to a degree, about debt but you're directing it at the wrong class of people.
  8. The banks decided to sell publicly-owned houses at less than their true market value just so the occupants could obtain a mortgage to buy them? You're 'avin' a giraffe.

A whole class of people who couldn't have afforded this level of debt before were introduced to the 'delights' of owing money. The democratisation of home ownership, I seem to remember it was called - conveniently ignoring the bit where the mortgage lender has claim to it for as long as the debt exists.
  9. Of course these people could afford this level of debt, since the houses were heavily discounted. Don't forget this was back in the day when banks still had a rigid lending policy. The current crisis is not to do with mortaging or Right to buy. It's down to over speculation at all levels. But Right to buy is a drop in the ocean.
  10. Apologies, the level of debt I was referring to was the real market value of the properties - not the gerrymandered quota price set by State decree for ideological purposes :wink: . That's the level of debt these people would never have been able to afford. If they could have, they'd not have been in council houses.

I disagree that RTB isn't a cause of the current crisis. By removing a massive chunk of social housing and simultaneously increasing the pool of people in the housing market, it prompted the last 10-15 years of wildly irrational house-pricing and sowed the seeds for what we're experiencing now.
  11. I'm drunk so hands up if I miss the bleeding obvious but how did RTB increase the pool of people in the housing market? RTB buyers tend to stay in the same house once bought since most can't afford to move on (it might be a decent house, it's still on a council estate). If they didn't buy, they would still occupy it for the rest of their lives (or another property) The problem was local councils stopped building but the population continued increasing.
  12. That's not my experience. From what I saw, RTB purchasers realised they were suddenly sitting on a golden goose which they could sell at the actual market value, making a massive profit over the derisory sum they'd paid. Some sold up right away, others waited a bit until family circumstances or market conditions were right. My sister's brother-in-law bought a 3 bedroom ground floor property with garden for £18k in 1992 and sold it in 1995 for £65k.

I guarantee you one thing: go into any former council estate round my way and you'll be hard pressed to find any former council tenants still there. The properties are all owner-occupied nowadays.
  13. msr

msr LE

Sir, How kind of the five Anglican bishops to proffer admonition to the Government (report, Dec 28). As an organisation that has been in recession for more than 100 years, the Church of England is, of course, well qualified to offer guidance.

W. R. Ball
    Fillongley, Warwickshire