Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by Hollis's way, Feb 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi is anyone aware of an institute called CMI chartered management institute. has anyone had any dealings with this or joined there membership. Aparently they will tranfer all my military quals into civilian, plus other benefits . Also is it worth joining for the recognition they will give.
  2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Yes, been a member since the mid 90's.
    You will not become a civilian manager with a military only employment record, don't let anyone kid you otherwise, although it may work in some specific cases. Neither is it a free job ticket.
    CMI can help you become a civvy manager (if you really have the background) and can offer guidance in gaining quals and experience, and the networking opportunities are there (I never had the chance, being out of UK, but I still get the invites). The resources and legal advice are good if you are in small business, which pays for the fee IMO, and was the reason I joined.
  3. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I am a Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute as a result of a course I did at the Manchester Business School. The Manchester Business School is normally in the top 30 business schools in the world so if they endorse a qual by the CMI, my view is its a legit chartered institute.

It's difficult (IMHO) to judge the value to future employers of any kind of membership of many institutes if they are not of 'professional' trades but I also, conversely, think it adds colour to a CV and shows you have taken a personal interest in your personal development.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  4. I would agree with all that has been said and also add that it is easier to get accreditation with an institute like CMI or ILM whilst you are serving or recently have left the service, trying to get accrediation many years down the line is much harder to get.

Also the cost is a damn site lower than on the civvy circuit and with the job market only getting harder espeically for ex military, everything you can get that gives you the edge and costs little more than a good night out has to be win.
  5. I too have been a FCMI for a number of years. IIRC they have mapped military jobs against their grades of membership, so all you have to do is apply. The magazines and website are good quality and they expose you to a very broad cross section of management issues.

They also offer the Chartered Manager qualification; I think there are funds available to be assessed. Some woman turned up at my place of work and talked to me, my boss and the three people who reported to me, went off and next thing I knew, I was chartered. I'm a little cynical about the concept of being a Chartered Manager as it has no statutory meaning (and no exam), but Chartered status does carry a little kudos.

Down sides; personally, I think it is public sector orientated. Look down the list of new members each month and it is highly populated by public sector employees and the employees of major outsourcing contractors. Also, the assessment process accredits what you have already done, rather than gives you any knew knowledge. I have interviewed two service leavers who tried to persuade me that CMgr is the equivalent of an MBA; it isn't.

All up, worth doing as it should be free, or very much discounted. I doubt it will get you a job or make any difference to you earning potential, but it should give you the confidence to say that you military management training has been accredited by a well respected national body.