• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

CMCQ and WHT

We've been informed by our Bde that the TA CMCQ no longer allows holders of the qual to conduct WHTs. Must be done by SAA only from now on.

Go get yourself on a SAA course. Only way to take WHT's.
Great fun and you get to go to Wales.... Character building opportunities in abundance :)

To re-phrase my question, if a CMCQ'd person cannot take WHT's then will the WHT be part of the CMCQ course ?

I'm only wondering because I was intending to go on that course soonish

The_Duke

LE
polar69 said:
To re-phrase my question, if a CMCQ'd person cannot take WHT's then will the WHT be part of the CMCQ course ?

I'm only wondering because I was intending to go on that course soonish
No. Now removed from the TOs and trg programme.

There'll be a certificate that you will have to have signed before going on the course that you have passed your WHT. (either by an SAA, OC or PSAO)
So I doubt it!

I have been sent one for my part M course which they oddly require even the SAA guys to do. Not worried, might even be a bit of fun! rather looking forward to someone else doing the instruction for a change!!

CMCQ is a good package and a marvellous intro to range work.

The_Duke

LE
Having passed an instructors course does not exempt you from having to do WHTs in the future. They must be taken (and passed) by everyone who is conducting or doing safety on any range. If you are not current on weapon handling, how can you ensure anyone else is?

The_Duke

LE
polar69 said:
What I meant was is the WHT still taught on the CMCQ course, not do you have to do a WHT on the CMCQ :)
I know - all training related to taking WHTs deleted, which presented a fine opportunity for an afternoon off on a recent course.

I am sure that they will fill the time soon enough though.

The_Duke

LE
It was previously a formal dispensation contrary to the rules under Pam 21, but has now been removed. The intention is to replace the course content with OIC Console/Butts and award that qualification instead.

SAA course numbers to be increased to allow more soldiers to hold the required qualifications, in line with Pam 21.

Pob02

War Hero
Book Reviewer
You no longer get the SA(K) 90 qual, which meant you could test others on WHT(but not teach SAA).

Not sure on the score for those who already hold that qualification.

The_Duke

LE
"There are no “Grandfather Rights” for personnel who have attended previous CMCQ Courses. Bdes are requested to inform all units under their command that soldiers who had previously gained this qualification can no longer conduct WHTs, unless they have subsequently passed the TA NCO SAA Instructors Course and are current on the weapon system."

From the relevant instruction.

Pob02

War Hero
Book Reviewer
The_Duke said:
"There are no “Grandfather Rights” for personnel who have attended previous CMCQ Courses. Bdes are requested to inform all units under their command that soldiers who had previously gained this qualification can no longer conduct WHTs, unless they have subsequently passed the TA NCO SAA Instructors Course and are current on the weapon system."

From the relevant instruction.
Thanks Duke.

Point to note: The M Qual doesn't allow those who obtain it to take people for WHTs on pyro (which is needed to use it, just like weapon systems). And unless you've passed a WHT on pyro in the last six months, you can't plan, conduct or act as safety during exercises (unless it's of the dry variety)!

Yet more work for the (Regi)mental skilly!

The duty rumour behind the K Qual is that it was introduced to take the load off due to the lack of Corps skillys! It was end-dated because someone thought we would be sending more people to do the AASAA (Short) or the now AANCOSAA course but, it never happened! On my course, the inf contributed to a good 70% of the students - and considering there's one a year, with 70 loaded on each course it's no small wonder there's not enough to go around.

What is alarming is that the new PAM 21 (April 2009) came out in.....well, April 2009 and Units are only now finding all this out!

Bet you didn't know that trained soldiers are now to clear themselves on the ranges between practices as well? (still cleared on to and off the range as usual)

Good for me because I've never been busier, but with the MTD cut backs, I can see it ending in tears for the bounty hunters!!

Never were - A and B quals are range quals, not SAA instr quals. They can, of course, still run the requisite ranges. Hard copy of the new Pam 21 is now in TACs (well, it's in mine) and the soft copy is available online if you can get access.

Latest Threads