Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clueless to say the least..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
Apologies as this thread is going to have lots of questions already answered on others but i'm having a scaremongering moment and just need to get it all out.
Short back story, always wanted to recruit, but have been aware i have never been fit enough (i used to be a big old bird, hitting a clothing size 20 by the time i was 18yp im now 24, down to a size 10/12 and a different person to say the least. Joined a crossfit gym (yes, crossfit w*****) and it did me wonders.
Thought i would start looking into recruitment, i want to go in as a student nurse, doing the course at birmingham university. i am aware this means i have to participate obviously in selection, then another selection board with a medical board and then phase 1 training.
So, i started my enquiries and feel like ive been thrown in at the deep end as soon as i sent my application off i went to interview less than a week later, i even emailed the careers office explaining i didnt feel ready and asked if i could come in to chat to get some more info. got told not to worry, to go in for interview anyway. arrived at interview to be told i had passed and was going to a pre selection test day to 'give me a taste' of what it would be like. awesome. however, expressed my concerns i was nowhere near the levels i needed to be. got told not to worry and to work on my run.
Soooooo, today i went for my first 1.5 mile run (i am NOT a runner) in anyway shape or form, give me something heavy to lift and im fine but cardio is not my friend. It was a shocking 18.26 time. (awful, i know, but bear in mind this was my first 1.5 mile run) i have informed all my recruiters of this, and everyone seems to think it should be piss easy to get it down, i have now been informed my pre assessment day is in a months time..:eek: shock and horror.
im also completely and utterly bamboozled by phase one. how the hell will i run 10+ miles if 1.5 nearly killed me off?!
i guess the general thing im looking for is advice???
what can i do to get my run time down?
am i going to make a major arse of myself if i go for this day and barely scrape 14mins?
apart from the jerry can carry and bag lift, what else am i looking at for fitness?
what does phase 1 fitness involve?
im sure theres many other questions but right now im thinking im kidding myself...

How old are you? Running is about stamina, not necessarily fitness. I've Never been a good runner, but it's something that you can work up to.

The answer is practice.

Run.

A lot.

Then do it again.

And again.

Keep doing it and you will reach the required standard.

No magic, no fancy diets. Just hard work.

Good luck.

im 24, not the fitt4est but not the worst. but surely 4 weeks is nowhere near enough time?
of course im going to try my damned hardest! just worried that even if i get it under 14 minutes im a lost cause in phase 1!

im 24, not the fitt4est but not the worst. but surely 4 weeks is nowhere near enough time?
of course im going to try my damned hardest! just worried that even if i get it under 14 minutes im a lost cause in phase 1!
Not at all. You could start tomorrow and knock several minutes off your time in a month. Have a look at the Army Website and see what it says about training to join.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads