Cloud Punching in C21

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by Mr_Fingerz, Jul 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

2. Saw the video - took a fair while for the laser to bring the drone down. It isn't going to stop a jet or missle in a hurry! If it fired somne sort of 'death ray' then yes, it could well be a replacement for Rapier or HVM!

3. So basically it's a user-friendly solid state version of 'Skyguard', which did the same job with the THEL chemical laser. Skyguard did the business on everything from mortars to 107 mm rockets in testing so hopefully this new toy has some promise!

4. Cloud-punching in the C21st will presumably be even MORE dull than it was in the C20th...

5. Mr_Fingerz

Ah, an ex-steamie who can't think in three dimensions.....

6. Jealousy is sooo ugly, you chinagraph daubed theoretician! For that, I will superimpose you on my fire-plan throughout...but never actually use you, mwahahahaha!

7. By the way, the prediction of field artillery fire requires you to think in three dimensions. Four, if fire-planning! Five if you are a Starship Trooper!

8. Mr_Fingerz

Yeah, but you have to practise.

9. Yes, whereas you will never use your kit so there is little point in practising...so goody bags of space on the "training programme" for AT, military skills and roulement tours! Oh and language courses, driving, sports, helping with the Rhine Army Show and complaining about what the steam subbies did to your mess/COs lawn/your reputation down town!

10. Ahh a new gizmo for the MOD to get excited about? Personally i don't think it will ever see the light of day in the Royal Regiment. Air Defence was the big new thing in the 80s, and much money was invested in the various systems. However, under the current financial restrictions, would it be a feasible option to replace Rapier/HVM? So much money has been spent on them, that it is unlikely to replace either. The lack of any real air threat, probably suggests that monies will be spent elsewhere. The UAV is the current darling, so they will no doubt continue to pump investment there....That said, i was a cloud puncher by trade (Blowpipe/Javelin), and would rather have AD and not need it than not have it and need it. All the roles within the Gunners have their place, until someone on high decides they don't.

11. Air defender? Gunnery pretender!

12. Sheffield, Coventry, Ardent, Antelope, Galahad, Tristram. A few names to haunt you from the 'we don't need AD' attittude of not all that long ago.

Of course we're never likely to go up against anyone with an air capability again are we?

13. Mr_Fingerz

Tell that to those (old) men who moved from Bofors 40/70 to Rapier.

14. Land air defence is one thing, naval another...having the capability a third and being expected to have to fecking provide the capability is just beyond my dears! They should put all the air defenders in the REME or something...

15. Cuddles...And your reasoning behind that bitter statement is??? We were and are a different branch of the Royal Regiment, so get over it fella. I can't quote on the Rapier lads secondary roles, but we of the MANPADS fraternity were to act as OPs for our guns whilst awaiting replen. To suggest that we didn't have a real role is just errant bunny nonsense, and highlights your ignorance of the AD world and it's tasks, both primary and secondary. Besides, surely the loss of so many AD assets has pleased you, so content yourself with that and move on.