Clothing grant

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Rockstar, Apr 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can I claim CCAG (Civilian Clothing Annual Grant), as laid down in JSP 752? If so, how do I claim and what for, exactly?

I'm only asking, because I glanced quickly across said publication and saw it in there. Free money, or not??

Cheers!

2. Its a fcukin nightmare to claim, you need to do something like 60 full days a year in civvies, as part of your job, to qualify (backdated of course) and even then the money is a pittance. Unless you are an 'essential user' whereby you have to wear civvies in order to do your job. I tried to claim it once, but got so fcuking fed up with filling in the forms that I gave up

3. Just found all this in JSP752: (you'll have to pick the bones out yourself mate)

CIVILIAN CLOTHING DAILY ALLOWANCE AND CIVILIAN CLOTHING
    ANNUAL GRANT FOR NON-COMMISSIONED PERSONNEL
    GENERAL
    08.0301. Aim. The aim of the Civilian Clothing Daily Allowance (CCDA) and
    Civilian Clothing Annual Grant (CCAG) is to contribute towards the extra expenditure
    non-commissioned Service personnel necessarily incur as a direct consequence of
    being required to wear civilian clothing on duty.
    08.0302. Income Tax and National Insurance Contributions (NICs). CCDA
    and CCAG attract a personal liability for both tax and NICs which is payable via the
    Service person’s salary.
    ELIGIBILITY
    08.0303. General. Non-commissioned personnel of Regular and Reserve
    Forces (except Sponsored Reserves and Cadet Force Adult Volunteers) are eligible for
    CCDA or CCAG provided they are required to wear civilian clothing on duty, but are
    not supplied with such clothing at public expense.
    08.0304. Categories of Eligible Employment. The following categories of noncommissioned
    personnel will receive either CCDA or CCAG provided they meet all
    other conditions and have not been reimbursed for their civilian clothing expenditure
    separately:
    a. Personnel employed in MOD Headquarters establishments.
    b. Personnel employed in NATO Headquarters establishments.
    c. Personnel employed in GCHQ.
    d. Personnel employed on the support staff to Military Attachés and
    Advisers.
    e. Personnel employed with Civil Industry.
    f. Personnel employed on close protection duties as may be designated
    from time to time and promulgated separately.
    g. Intelligence Corps, Special Air Service (SAS), Special Boat Service
    (SBS), and other personnel employed on Special Duties.
    h. Members of the Royal Navy Special Investigation Branch (RNSIB), Royal
    Naval Provost Headquarters’ Unit Investigators (RNPUI) and members of the
    Royal Marines Police Special Investigation Branch (RMPSIB).
    JSP 752 DII Ver 7 - 01/11/07
    8 - 3 - 2
    i. Adjutant General Corps (Provost) (Special Investigations Branch)
    ((AGC(PRO)(SIB)) and Unit Investigation Element (UIE).
    j. RAF Police employed on Special Investigation (SI) or Counter
    Intelligence (CI) duties as designated by Provost Marshal (RAF).
    k. Mechanical Transport Drivers (including HGV).
    l. Royal Engineer Clerks of Works serving with Military Engineering
    Services (Works).
    m. Naval and Army Welfare Assistants.
    08.0305. Exceptional Cases. There may be cases outside the scope of this
    Section where a Service person is put to undue expense, either because their civilian
    clothing is subjected to excessive wear and tear for Service reasons or because of
    other circumstances (eg the nature of the clothing required). Such cases, which
    should be rare and will invariably result from a Service person being employed on
    duties of an exceptional operational or security nature, are to be forwarded for special
    consideration to JPAC Pay and Allowances Casework Cell (PACC). These cases will
    be assessed on their merit.
    INELIGIBILITY
    08.0306. Ineligible Service Personnel. Commissioned officers are not entitled
    to either CCDA or CCAG on the grounds they receive tax relief for the upkeep of their
    uniforms and, if not required to wear uniform, the tax concessions contribute to the
    provision and upkeep of their civilian clothes.
    08.0307. Secondary Duties. The ordinary wear and tear of the Service person’s
    own civilian clothes when engaged in any form of secondary duty (eg OIC sport) does
    not generate an entitlement to CCDA or CCAG.
    CONDITIONS
    08.0308. Wearing of Civilian Clothes on Duty. CCDA and CCAG cannot be
    paid concurrently (but see paragraph 08.0309) and are subject to the following
    additional conditions:
    a. Civilian Clothing Daily Allowance. CCDA is payable when the period
    during which the Service person is required to wear civilian clothes is less than
    12 months. When civilian clothing is not worn at all times on duty, CCDA will be
    paid for each day on which the Service person’s own civilian clothing is
    necessarily worn for Service reasons. Payment of CCDA will commence only
    after the Service person has worn civilian clothes on duty for Service reasons
    for a total of 60 days within a 12-month period. Payment commences on the
    61st day and is retrospective to Day One. Payment will commence on the 1st
    day of any subsequent period within the 12-month period.
    b. Civilian Clothing Annual Grant. When civilian clothing is expected to
    be worn on duty at all times throughout the period of a permanent assignment,
    CCAG will be paid to assist with the purchase of necessary clothing for each
    8 - 3 - 3
    complete 12-month period as follows:
    (1) CCAG is payable at the start of each assignment year during
    which civilian clothes are expected to be worn.
    (2) Where an assignment extends beyond a year to part of a second
    or subsequent 12-month period, proportions of CCAG will be paid at
    quarterly intervals.
    (3) In the event that a recipient of CCAG is not required to wear
    civilian clothes for as long as anticipated when CCAG was paid, no
    recovery action will be taken.
    08.0309. Concurrent Payment of CCDA and CCAG. Concurrent payment of
    CCDA and CCAG is not permitted except where there is an unforeseen overlap
    between an unexpended period covered by CCAG and the start of a new assignment
    at a destination with a significantly different climate. In this instance, further CCDA or
    a CCAG may be issued provided that all other eligibility criteria are met.
    08.0310. Concurrent Payment with Climatic Clothing Grant for Hot Posts
    (CCG(HP)). Eligible Service personnel may not receive CCDA or CCAG and
    CCG(HP) in respect of the same overseas assignment. However, receipt of CCDA or
    CCAG in respect of a previous assignment will not debar an eligible Service person
    from receiving CCG(HP). In these circumstances, recipients who have not completed
    the assignment year for which CCAG was paid will not be required to repay that CCAG
    (see Section 4 of this Chapter).
    RATES
    08.0311. Calculation of CCDA and CCAG Rates. A rate of CCAG will be set
    annually by SP Pol Allces. The CCAG rate is based on the average cost of a predetermined
    (by SP Pol Allces) list of clothing. The list is validated by a review that SP
    Pol Allces conduct every 5 years. In the intervening years the rates are adjusted, up or
    down, with reference to the relevant Retail Price Indices (RPIs). The CCAG rate will
    be divided by 365 (days) by JPA to produce the CCDA rate.
    08.0312. Current Rates. The current rates of CCDA and CCAG are detailed in
    the annual MOD SP Pol Allces Directed Letter “Rates of Entitlement for Allowances for
    Service Personnel”. The current rates are also shown at Chapter 1 Section 6.
    METHOD OF CLAIM
    08.0313. Authority for Approval. CCAG and CCDA are to be claimed on JPA
    F019 which is to be submitted to the unit HR admin staff for processing. Authority for
    payment of CCDA or CCAG for the duties listed in paragraph 08.0304 is vested in the
    CO, not below the rank of OF4.
    08.0314. Action by Unit HR Admin Staff. The unit HR admin staff will process
    the claims as follows:
    a. CCAG Claims. Claims for CCAG will be processed using the JPA
    ‘Arrivals Process’. Initial claims require that the Service person be assigned to
    8 - 3 - 4
    an appropriate post for a minimum period of 12 months. The CCAG will initially
    be paid for this full 12 month period. At the end of the 1st and each subsequent
    12 month period in a CCAG earning post, the unit HR admin staff will be
    prompted by a JPA system report to consider further entitlement and if
    appropriate submit further input. The amount of CCAG subsequently payable
    will automatically be determined by the time left in the Service person’s current
    assignment (ie up to their expected assignment end date).
    b. CCDA Claims. Claims for CCDA will be assessed and then processed
    by the unit HR admin staff who will create the appropriate ‘Element Entry’ on
    JPA.
    METHOD OF PAYMENT
    08.0315. Method of Payment. Both CCAG and CCDA are paid via the Service
    person’s salary.

4. No free money then :-(

5. I think the annual grant is worth about £125 quid or so, but only if you qualify for it

6. Odd question to ask. If you were in a post that required this I would hope the previous encumbent or your colleagues would inform you of this?

Or did you glance across the publication and thought you could literally get free cash?

7. There are posts within the army where - although there is a requirement to wear civilian clothes - no thought has been given to the cost to the soldier.

Since the advent of JPA and people suddenly getting money that they were due all along but never told about, some are questioning other allowances. I would guess that this is one of those...

Tubs

Edited to add: I shall be staffing my case about CCDA and other matters up the CoC. However, knowing my Corps(e) I will be fecked off at the high port...

8. Tubbyboy, I appreciate that, I have questioned plenty of rules myself, indeed I was given my JPA login to get me out of my civvy clerks' hair, although that soon turned into JPA questions. I only asked because the response that came back from Rockstar was 'no free money then' which I read as 'I don't need to be able to claim this but will try anyway'. Don't get me wrong, it is better to ask and not get, than to not ask when you could have got (hence my JPA login!!!) I was just wondering why Rockstar had asked? If he has a legitimate reason for being in civilian dress then he should attempt to challenge the rules that deny him the opportunity to claim it - or if he is someone who works in green but fancies a new set of disco gear then it's tough!

9. Fair one, I was just playing Devil's advocate as I have been fcuked over many times about allowances etc. For a start they've lost 18 months of my service.

JPAC are gonna get a shock when I start my shock and awe campaign.....

Tubs

10. Tubs,

Devil's advocate is always good! Best of luck with your shock and awe.

HLM