Clothes for standing around in...

Thin Layers . Thin stuff that fits tight Snug . Winter cycling clothing under combats and or track suit or fleece works much better than overpriced hunting kit.
Pocket handwarmer . And a flask . I always find thin snug fleece or Roubaix type stuff that fits well keeps you warm but lets you breathe . Full zips for outer layers to allow ventilation. Portwest beanie hats with the led light are outstanding cheap light reliable and perform a two for one function. Insulated insoles are essential.

Morning @triggerigger,
Pair o' tights and a change of socks...if ee wore lucky.

Edit: A better Yorkshire accent needed:)

An old Barbour with thin inner layers under a heavy wool sweater is not bad if you're just standing around. It's not recommended if you're moving around a lot.

The technology is Edwardian, but it works a treat.

ETA: Pick up a Chinese fighting suit from the army surplus. It's like wearing a sleeping bag under your coat.

iu
M65 jacket with quilt liner, weatherproof and cosy.

Morning @triggerigger,
Pair o' tights and a change of socks...if ee wore lucky.

Edit: A better Yorkshire accent needed:)
I have thousands (literally) of £s worth of good cycling clothing mostly well used . Since my ticker went kerbewie it's mostly redundant. I've spent some money on hunting clothing . cycling clothing is far more comfortable functional and effective.
But Its not on trend /clone/sheep fashionable for the brand whore tweed check shirt drone set . It's better. .A pair of Roubaix bibs and long sleeve Roubaix top under normal hunting gear is astonishingly effective. Bit like a warm under armour.
If you haven't tried it you don't know . Compare and contrast a good pair of thin cycling gloves with the on trend recommend Mcwet gloves . The Mc wets cost the same or more and are utter shite. But they are green.

I have thousands (literally) of £s worth of good cycling clothing mostly well used . Since my ticker went kerbewie it's mostly redundant. I've spent some money on hunting clothing . cycling clothing is far more comfortable functional and effective.
But Its not on trend /clone/sheep fashionable for the brand whore tweed check shirt drone set . It's better. .A pair of Roubaix bibs and long sleeve Roubaix top under normal hunting gear is astonishingly effective. Bit like a warm under armour.
If you haven't tried it you don't know . Compare and contrast a good pair of thin cycling gloves with the on trend recommend Mcwet gloves . The Mc wets cost the same or more and are utter shite. But they are green.
Folk forget that cycling clobber is designed for wind chill.

Have you thought of checking your local vintage clothing shop for sheepskin jackets? They may make you look a touch Del Boy but they're warm as toast, windproof and very comfortable.

I was laying on the side of a hill on Friday evening , waiting for fantastic Mr fox who declined my invitation. Watched the sun set and the stars appear till about 10 pm nice and dark in the middle of nowhere! Did quiet a lot of laying on my back star gazing. It never fails to astonish and bewilder me .
OP , have you got a nice new telescope thing?

I tend to spend quite a lot of time standing about doing sod all in cold (and wet) winters conditions in the howling wind up mountains and I recommend a Buffalo or Montane Extreme Smock with either nowt on underneath or a fine merino base layer if you really must.

Have you thought of checking your local vintage clothing shop for sheepskin jackets? They may make you look a touch Del Boy but they're warm as toast, windproof and very comfortable.

I have one of those. The real Del Boy deal. Made by Nurseys of Bungay. They used to provide them for the filming. Good PR. Remarkably good and comfortable. Just right for winter walks, if you can stand the ridicule. I wear it in France, where its slightly worn appearance is thought, by some, quite chic, in a Jean-Paul Belmondo /Alain Delon sort of way. 8) (If they were short, fat and old:-()

Charity shop in Beccles, obviously couldn't shift it.

Reduced to £1:boogie:

Result. At that price I don't care what I look like.

endure

GCM
I was laying on the side of a hill on Friday evening , waiting for fantastic Mr fox who declined my invitation. Watched the sun set and the stars appear till about 10 pm nice and dark in the middle of nowhere! Did quiet a lot of laying on my back star gazing. It never fails to astonish and bewilder me .
OP , have you got a nice new telescope thing?
I have a telescope thing and am waiting for it to get dark enough to give it it's first light.

I have a telescope thing and am waiting for it to get dark enough to give it it's first light.
Its something I've always rather fancied doing . I had a very powerful but shit telescope about 35 years ago and it was a wobbly blurry source of vexation. I assume things are better now .

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Ah, but are they as humorous as those British army shorts that make you look like a square rigger under sail?

On a UN tour one of the Port Ops was barred from wearing issue shorts due to the truly horrific nature of her body in general and her legs in particular.

endure

GCM
Its something I've always rather fancied doing . I had a very powerful but shit telescope about 35 years ago and it was a wobbly blurry source of vexation. I assume things are better now .
They're just as wobbly as they were but modernity has gifted them with the ability to point to parts of the sky that you're interested in.

I intend to do a bit of star gazing when the dark sets in. It will involve standing around in the cold and not moving very much so I won't be generating much heat from movement.

I know about the layers thing. Can anyone recommend what outer clothing would be best? Not got a lot of cash to spend so surplus would be ok.

Ta!

I tend to spend quite a lot of time standing about doing sod all in cold (and wet) winters conditions in the howling wind up mountains and I recommend a Buffalo or Montane Extreme Smock with either nowt on underneath or a fine merino base layer if you really must.
I would second the Buffalo. I've had the long back version for 20 years. Used it on Ex and rock climbing. Never taken care of it to be honest but it's still going strong.
I don't want to say that it's squaddie proof, but I have definitely got my moneys worth out of it.

Surplus kit for standing around and not doing very much

images (5).jpeg

Alternatively have a look at Fishing Brands such as Grey's, IMAX , and AirFlo..

Last edited:
I would second the Buffalo. I've had the long back version for 20 years. Used it on Ex and rock climbing. Never taken care of it to be honest but it's still going strong.
I don't want to say that it's squaddie proof, but I have definitely got my moneys worth out of it.
I think the Montane Extreme Smock is probably the heavier pile now and is better made, but the Buffalo has the torso adjustment which can be handy if you're nice and trim...

Also, the Buffalo hood is extra and the Montane one is standard and very, very good.

I had an issue Montane and then bought my own one when GO Outdoors had them on a deal.

Last edited:

Gabion Groyne

War Hero
If you're wearing said Roubaix bib under a pair of trousers, how do you get the old boy out for a Lilian Gish without a lot of inconvenience?

I'm not sure where the 'Dumb' response came from but there is a lot of standing around, on both sides of the Channel.
Layers. MVP/Gore-Tex with zip in Chinese fighting jacket.

Attachments

• IMG_20211001_134027.jpg
    IMG_20211001_134027.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20211001_134039.jpg
    IMG_20211001_134039.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20211001_134401.jpg
    IMG_20211001_134401.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20211001_134228.jpg
    IMG_20211001_134228.jpg