Cloth Armour replaces bar on vehicles..

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Yeoman_dai, Jun 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If it works....Good on them...

Mind you, all those soft comfortable mattresses ready to hand for drivers......
  2. Well, it can only be a good thing.

We are pretty good at testing things nowadays so I would suspect that it's up to the job.
  3. Well look what happened with the Jackal, a minor thing but still a cockup nontheless. The driver and weapon mounting were in the perfect position where the driver would receive the muzzle blast of the firing weapon. Surely that would have been discovered during testing? :)
  4. I'm not saying it won't be without it's flaws and, like the jackal, these will no doubt be dealt with.

Credit where credit is due things are getting better than they were a few years ago.
  5. anything which is going to be safer is always better!

mind you i dont know where people will keep all there rations and boxes of bottle water! with a couple planks and wood and some para cord we had some good luggage racks on the old warrior in afghan!
  6. You were told that doing such things reduces the effectiveness of the armour?
  7. but having to leave the stuff out altogether reduces the effectiveness of those inside it!
  8. Just checking.

More stowage: good
    Putting something that looks like stowage on: inadvisable.

By the by, what's the view on the effectiveness of the crew after interacting with copper travelling at 4 km/s?
  9. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Interesting descriptions of this armour.

Some places saying it replaces bar-armour, others saying it is blast-protection others saying it is anti-shrapnel.

I've be impressed if it is all 3, anyone know the correct answer?

I'll ask around in work and see what the lads who got to go to DVD thought of it....muggins here was left behind to watch the office.

10. According to a quick google it defeats the same threats as bar armour and is intended as a replacement. Linky and linky.

Edited to add second link.
  11. I had a look at this stuff last year on HET. It provides better protection all round. Its stand-off, as can be seen by pics and those that probably got close to it at DVD. Hopefully it will find itself on other TES type vehicles reducing its width profile then we can drive them on UK roads....better training hopefully!
  12. have you ever tried getting 7 days off rations and water for 8 men inside or attached to the sides!
  13. as he said.

yes a piece of copper hitting you at 4km/s isn't great. but reality is that the old stuff didn't stop that either. this is the bars we're talking about, not the armour itself.

anyway, regardless. the effectiveness of the crew is reduced by copper travelling 4 km/s. their effectiveness is also impaired, especially in the desert, by taking f-all water because it doesn't fit inside. personaly I don't think that strapping a few jerry cans on the side really takes the bars from providing complete 100% protection to jack all.