CLOSURE OF REGIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTRES (RDCs)

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Yaris, Nov 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Another barking mad cost saving measure by ministers, closure of RDC's. In order to save some £3million we shut a well organised and staffed organisation who provide a good service to QM dept's. Now that the new procedure (Parcel force and so on) has failed and our stores have been "lost in the post" we will have to throw money at making the new system work. I understand that we have already spent more than we have saved. Ill thought out, quick cost saving measures inevitably mean a reduction of service, increased costs and civilian redundancies.

Well done the individuals who thought this one up!

2. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

Please bear in mind this is just one part of a larger picture (FDSCi) which sees DSDA transforming over several years.

The idea behind closing the RDCs and using carriers is to get routine demands to units within seven working days. As the system has been up and running less than three months, it's a bit hard to start determining how much money has/has not been spent getting it to work and also a bit early to start writing off a system that is has only just started. As with all new things, there are bound to be teething troubles - some of these are down to DSDA, some to the carriers and some to the receiving units.

This was a planned change which had FLC endorsement and LAND (as the major user) is working with DSDA to improve the service. It was not planned as a quick and easy cost-saving measure - it was always planned under FDSCi that some of the RDCs would close. Also, under FDSCi, it was always planned that there would be job losses - the unions were consulted and had input all along the line.

The RDCs did have many advantages that we won't get when they close but many of these were surplus to what they were required to do and therefore cost DSDA (and thus the MoD) more money. They also had disadvantages as they added another level in the distribution chain.

In short, give the new system a chance and if there are failures report it up the chain rather than taking cheap shots on here.

3. [quote="untallguyIn short, give the new system a chance and if there are failures report it up the chain rather than taking cheap shots on here.[/quote]

It was your idea then ?

I know my quartie is getting fed up with multiple different carriers turning up each dropping off one small box. Interupts his sudoku.

4. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

It was your idea then ?

I know my quartie is getting fed up with multiple different carriers turning up each dropping off one small box. Interupts his sudoku.[/quote]

Fortunately not my idea! The only recommendation I have is that the QM fires this up the chain as I know LAND is being pretty robust with DSDA on this issue and wants a solution. Alternatively/additionally, he takes up a mindgame which can withstand interruptions.