Closure of Guantanamo

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bowser-Mong, Feb 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The United Nations has called upon the United States to close Guantanamo Bay. Is this justified?

2. Yes it is.

Whilst the internees are not being processed into courts, then it is nothing more than a remando. If it's purpose is to swiftly interrogate then process or release prisoners then it has a purpose.

How many people , of those remanded at Gitmo have actually been processed?

More importantly , how many have been released due to pressure from unsavoury but 'allied' Governments? Surely if the person you are holding is "Bang to rights and no mistake" you should be able to deny repatriation and process to court/tribunal?

If Guantanamo is not fulfilling it's 'advertised' function, then it needs closing.

Perhaps the UN should also concern themselves with 'alleged' satellite sites?

3. Not if it can be construed as glorification of terrorism in any way, shape or form

6. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Fab-one,

Your Question as posed begs for a POLL - which you could have put at the top and can still, using the Edit button.

yes, Guantanamo should be gracefully closed - foolish, panicky Own Goal by the Administration - W-a-a-a-a-y past time they corrected the problem.

PR OPPORTUNITY - " US President takes on board personal advice from UN Sec Gen....statesmanlike response......we, the people are big enough to Admit When We Are Wrong....My Fellow Americans, there is no "Western Hypocrisy" at the White House."...yah-di-yah-di-yah.

( Hmmm....maybe I should apply for that internship?.....NAH, I look crap in a skirt and my coffee's sh1te....Ho hum.... ...)

GREAT avatar BTW....where's Lucy Lawless!

El Cabra

7. Where should the prisoners be sent ?

8. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

HOME

9. msr

msr LE

They should either be tried or sent back where they were seized from.

You wouldn't hold your own citizens under these conditions, can't you see the PR own goal you are scoring?

msr

10. Whose soil is it then? Cuban? If it is, surely that means it is under Cuban jurisdiction? I thought that overseas bases 'counted' as being in the original county for laws etc, but I'm probably wrong.

11. Also T6 - Why has it taken the US government so long to come up with a lasting solution? I could understand if in the immediate aftermath of Afghanistan they were stuck with lots of prisoners which they are reluctant to release but who also don't fully fall under the Geneva Convention. But years later and they still haven't sorted it out and are using trickery (not keeping prisoners on US soil) to hold the prisoners. Sounds like a very unAmerican thing for the American government to do....

Tricam.

Edited to add: Scoy - I'm not sure what the correct term is, whether it is US soil or not, but Guantanamo does not fall under the jurisdiciton of the US supreme court...

12. Transfer them to an Afghan prison. I can live with that. By comparison the prisoners would look back on their time at Club Gitmo with longing.

13. RTFQ

RTFQ RIP

I can absolutely go along with that, the wider world's discomfort with Gitmo is nothing to do with the welfare of the prisoners - they're my enemy and I don't lose sleep over them - but as we keep learning again and again, you can't hold yourself up as the arbiter of rightousness and freedom whilst operating shady establishments that are open to condemnation. Damn right give em to the afghanis, that'll learn em. Then, if and when that useless bunch let them go, a very firm "you're not helping the solution so you're part of the problem" will bring them in line or earn a political kicking. I'm tired of sullying ourselves for others who can't be arrsed to solve their own problems.

We may be able to defeat terrorists by compromising our principles, but we'll never defeat terrorism that way.

14. Except the last time we did that , A *cough* "Royal Marine" was recommended for the MoH.

The only answer T6 , is to get on with processing them with alacrity and diligence. If the result is guilty, then hold them indefinitely whereever you want.

But Gitmo is a festering boil on the face of our stated morality. It gives the lie to everything we say we are trying to achieve.