Closure of BAOR Locations Website (30 Apr 12)

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by Biscuits_AB, Apr 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't know if any of you ever look in to this website, but it's a little gold mine. I've just been over there for a look about and sadly it would appear that it is being closed down. Two of the old codgers would like to take it over, but the bloke who owns it can't be found (Phil somebody). Can anybody offer any advice to them? I haven't a clue how they'll get round this, but personally, the loss of that site will be a loss of a lot of modern history. Here's the relevant page:

Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk

2. I have been a regular visitor, I do believe that the Webby is a serving REME Guy, not
    sure what Trade but I think he's a Tech.
    Last I heard of him...a while ago, he was about to leave Arborfield on posting.

It will be a shame if it goes, the actual 'Locations' part was a gold mine for CWW.

3. I may be able to offer hosting if that's what the site owners are looking for.

Waiting to hear from them.

4. Apparently that's the problem. They can't do anything until they find the site owner, who's went to ground somewhere. Bit sad if he's given up on it.

5. That will be a loss, it was always worth a browse.

6. Well done on saving the files . Are you going to re-post it ? Can you let us know when it's back up and running . As per other posters , have visited regularly over the years and pointed other muckers on to it as well
    Once more ARRSERS get to hear of it I am sure you will get more material for it and perhaps a volunteer to act as webmaster .

7. It's gone now - need server space?

8. I've just logged on and it's running ok at the moment.

9. The Forum is still up and running but sadly the site with all the Barrack/Garrison Locations and Regiment/Corps info as well as photos has gone.

10. The BAOR locations site is now back on line and can be found at:

http://www.baor-locations.org

Apologies for the domain name change but we can't transfer the old one at the moment: should the original registrar resurface then we can resurrect it.

However it is very much a work in progress as I try to untangle the tentacles of the Great Satan Microsoft which permeate the whole thing!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Brilliant! Well done and new site bookmarked!

If you're looking for donations to help with running costs let me know.

12. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Good work that man. I contributed stuff to the site and volunteered myself to be an official editor. Unfortunately I never got my head around the editorial team's modus operandi and that was that. I think they expected people to send in contributions, then they'd tidy it up, but my questions were never answered to my satisfaction.

On looking back. I find a date wrong on the Alanbrooke Bks page, Alanbrooke Barracks. Toward the bottom, under the picture of the POL point I suggested that 15/19H (note this is the correct abbreviation for 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars, not 15/19KRH as specified in the list at the top of the page) were awarded a new guidon by Colonel-in Chief HRH The Princess Margaret in 1984. This ought to read 1982. If you can do anything for that, I'd be grateful. Cheers.

13. I'm the bloke who originally sorted out and updated the Google Earth locations page for the site. Shortly after Phil left the scene, there was a URL change, I lost my site e-mail address and admin. access etc. etc. and I just sort of gave up. There are some additions and corrections on the Google Earth stuff that have not been added to the database for about 2 or 3 years.

I can send the necessary if you let me know where.

14. I don't know what the editorial policy was, or indeed how updates were made to the site. At the moment I can hand-knit them and have done so with your amendments.

No doubt one of the site gurus will get back to me and we can work something out.

GMOB

15. PM sent.

GMOB