• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Closure of BAOR Locations Website (30 Apr 12)

B

Biscuits_AB

I don't know if any of you ever look in to this website, but it's a little gold mine. I've just been over there for a look about and sadly it would appear that it is being closed down. Two of the old codgers would like to take it over, but the bloke who owns it can't be found (Phil somebody). Can anybody offer any advice to them? I haven't a clue how they'll get round this, but personally, the loss of that site will be a loss of a lot of modern history. Here's the relevant page:

Demise of www.baor-locations.co.uk

I have been a regular visitor, I do believe that the Webby is a serving REME Guy, not
sure what Trade but I think he's a Tech.
Last I heard of him...a while ago, he was about to leave Arborfield on posting.

It will be a shame if it goes, the actual 'Locations' part was a gold mine for CWW.

B

Biscuits_AB

I may be able to offer hosting if that's what the site owners are looking for.

Waiting to hear from them.
Apparently that's the problem. They can't do anything until they find the site owner, who's went to ground somewhere. Bit sad if he's given up on it.

Further to the above, I've just spidered the entire site. 3120 files, 105MB. All in my Dropbox, so it won't be lost forever if the owner lets his MS domain expire and doesn't have a backup.

Well done on saving the files . Are you going to re-post it ? Can you let us know when it's back up and running . As per other posters , have visited regularly over the years and pointed other muckers on to it as well
Once more ARRSERS get to hear of it I am sure you will get more material for it and perhaps a volunteer to act as webmaster .

The BAOR locations site is now back on line and can be found at:

http://www.baor-locations.org

Apologies for the domain name change but we can't transfer the old one at the moment: should the original registrar resurface then we can resurrect it.

However it is very much a work in progress as I try to untangle the tentacles of the Great Satan Microsoft which permeate the whole thing!

Apologies for the domain name change but we can't transfer the old one at the moment: should the original registrar resurface then we can resurrect it.

However it is very much a work in progress as I try to untangle the tentacles of the Great Satan Microsoft which permeate the whole thing!
Brilliant! Well done and new site bookmarked!

If you're looking for donations to help with running costs let me know.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer

Good work that man. I contributed stuff to the site and volunteered myself to be an official editor. Unfortunately I never got my head around the editorial team's modus operandi and that was that. I think they expected people to send in contributions, then they'd tidy it up, but my questions were never answered to my satisfaction.

On looking back. I find a date wrong on the Alanbrooke Bks page, Alanbrooke Barracks. Toward the bottom, under the picture of the POL point I suggested that 15/19H (note this is the correct abbreviation for 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars, not 15/19KRH as specified in the list at the top of the page) were awarded a new guidon by Colonel-in Chief HRH The Princess Margaret in 1984. This ought to read 1982. If you can do anything for that, I'd be grateful. Cheers.

I'm the bloke who originally sorted out and updated the Google Earth locations page for the site. Shortly after Phil left the scene, there was a URL change, I lost my site e-mail address and admin. access etc. etc. and I just sort of gave up. There are some additions and corrections on the Google Earth stuff that have not been added to the database for about 2 or 3 years.

I can send the necessary if you let me know where.

........On looking back. I find a date wrong on the Alanbrooke Bks page, Alanbrooke Barracks. Toward the bottom, under the picture of the POL point I suggested that 15/19H (note this is the correct abbreviation for 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars, not 15/19KRH as specified in the list at the top of the page) were awarded a new guidon by Colonel-in Chief HRH The Princess Margaret in 1984. This ought to read 1982. If you can do anything for that, I'd be grateful. Cheers.
I don't know what the editorial policy was, or indeed how updates were made to the site. At the moment I can hand-knit them and have done so with your amendments.

No doubt one of the site gurus will get back to me and we can work something out.

GMOB

I'm the bloke who originally sorted out and updated the Google Earth locations page for the site. Shortly after Phil left the scene, there was a URL change, I lost my site e-mail address and admin. access etc. etc. and I just sort of gave up. There are some additions and corrections on the Google Earth stuff that have not been added to the database for about 2 or 3 years.

I can send the necessary if you let me know where.
PM sent.

GMOB

Good luck with the reincarnation of the site. It would be great if the subscribers actually 'subscribed' a bit. If not monetarily, then at least with some input of knowledge etc. There are many who used the site (the forum at least) as a bit of a gentlemen's drinking club for the swapping of yarns and back-slapping. Nothing wrong with that as far as it goes, but there are fewer who contribute to the nuts & bolts - actual unit/location info etc. Unfortunately, this knowledge will dissipate as the years go by, so now is the time to gather and document it.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I have been reading the History of BAOR page History of BAOR

I found the following paragraph:

1956 Saw more major changes to the BAOR. Brigade groups took over from divisions as the smallest operative units. This was the first major step towards the army of today, with a brigade group comprising of armour, infantry, an engineer squadron and armoured reconnaissance regiment, opposed to divisions comprising of solely infantry of armour ( the first case of mixed brigades being used effectively was near Soltau, April 1945, by 4th Armoured Brigade, led by Brigadier Carver).
and take exception to that which I have rendered bold.

From the arrival of 15/19H in Normandy in August 1944 for Op Bluecoat, 11 Armd Div was brigaded in a mix of armour and infantry. See Patrick Delaforce ( http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...maTXDQ&usg=AFQjCNFYwmiO-Szpx2wyK8ssAB7s_OWQiA ) and Major G. Courage DSO, Late 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars - one of a handful of officers to serve with 15/19H throughout the war ( http://www.lightdragoons.org.uk/dow...th-19th_The_Kings_Hussars_1939-1945.pdf&dd=19 ) who both describe armour / infantry brigade grouping in detail, for example, from Courage pp81-82 for 11 Sep 44 (free download from the Light Dragoons website):

But the normal composition of the armoured and infantry brigades was often changed. On this occasion, and frequently in the future, the Division was formed into two Brigade Groups, each of two armoured regiments and two infantry battalions. This procedure had become an accepted part of the Division's battle drill, but it was new to us. It will be clear from this grouping that the Regiment's function was that of a fourth armoured regiment in the Division. Our establishment was the same, and in practice our role was the same, despite our different title of Armoured Reconnaissance Regiment. The advantage of this mixed grouping over the normal was the greater speed with which tank / infantry attacks could be made when it was necessary to fight our way forward.
Today the Regiment formed part of 159 Infantry Brigade Group with 3 R Tks (sic), 4 KSLI and 1 Hereford. This group advanced without incident to Briouze, where the Regiment halted for eight hours.
15/19H spent virtually the entire campaign brigaded with 1 Herefords and 4 KSLI, then 3 Mons and finally 1 Cheshires. When conditions required, each squadron of 15/19H would carry a company of infantry on their tanks.

ibid pp84-85 (21-22 Aug 44):
These accidents caused a somewhat disturbed night, but A Squadron and the petrol both arrived just in time for the Regiment to advance soon after dawn on a wood-clearing expedition. For this A and B Squadrons each carried a company of 1 Hereford on the backs of their tanks and started to clear the woods, for a thousand yards astride the road, from Gad towards La Trinite des Laitiers. Few enemy were met and it was a slow and tiresome operation, for which tanks were little suited. The use of tanks in thin woods like these does, however, enable the infantry to do the job more quickly.
No doubt somebody has lifted something from Field Marshall Carver's biography which was sadly flawed either in fact, transcription or interpretation.

I cannot find on the BAOR Locations website how to raise these errors there so I shall for now raise this here.

I am happy to return to that website as an editor once we have worked out a mechanism.

Latest Threads