Closing Club Gitmo

#1
So President Elect-Obama will be closing Club Gitmo. Get ready for those freed to get back at things in the desert.
 
#2
Gitmo has probably caused more problems than invading Iraq, fencing off the West Bank, invading S Lebanon and precission strikes into Gaza put together.

A good step and I am confident no-one released will get caught in terrorist activity or some time, if ever.

Don't bet on it happening right away though and it should not be an excuse for any of them to be un-loaded onto the UK
 
#3
read a report that 21% to 27% of those released have returned to one form or another of terrorism
but that was from the pentagon and no specifics were released.
 
#4
#5
Herrumph said:
Gitmo has probably caused more problems than invading Iraq, fencing off the West Bank, invading S Lebanon and precission strikes into Gaza put together.

A good step and I am confident no-one released will get caught in terrorist activity or some time, if ever.

Don't bet on it happening right away though and it should not be an excuse for any of them to be un-loaded onto the UK
Of course they won't - it's all been a big misunderstanding :twisted:
 
#6
PubMaster1 said:
read a report that 21% to 27% of those released have returned to one form or another of terrorism
but that was from the pentagon and no specifics were released.
If those detained without charge for years - and subject to such 'techniques' such as stress positions, forced nudity, waterboarding and sleep deprivation - weren't anti-Western to start with - would be no surprise if they are now.
 
#7
KevinB said:
PubMaster1 said:
read a report that 21% to 27% of those released have returned to one form or another of terrorism
but that was from the pentagon and no specifics were released.
If those detained without charge for years - and subject to such 'techniques' such as stress positions, forced nudity, waterboarding and sleep deprivation - weren't anti-Western to start with - would be no surprise if they are now.
Somewhere and some werent I imagine. Imperfect justice?
 
#8
I read somewhere that a lot of inmates are in a lot better shape than when they first arrived, thanks to a good diet, medical care, and the fact they are not constantly being shot at.

Obviously evil neo-con lies though.
 
#9
PubMaster1 said:
KevinB said:
PubMaster1 said:
read a report that 21% to 27% of those released have returned to one form or another of terrorism
but that was from the pentagon and no specifics were released.
If those detained without charge for years - and subject to such 'techniques' such as stress positions, forced nudity, waterboarding and sleep deprivation - weren't anti-Western to start with - would be no surprise if they are now.
Somewhere and some werent I imagine. Imperfect justice?
Much more serious than that. What was done at Gitmo, Abu Gharab and other prisons was based on W. Bush's 2002 signed decision that the Third Geneva Convention did not apply to al Qaeda or Taliban detainees.
 
#10
Random_Task said:
I read somewhere that a lot of inmates are in a lot better shape than when they first arrived, thanks to a good diet, medical care, and the fact they are not constantly being shot at.

Obviously evil neo-con lies though.
I don't know about that - this report doesn't give that impression...

"[[JURIST] Physicians For Human Rights [official website] Wednesday released a report [PDF text; executive summary, PDF] saying that abuse and torture claims made by former detainees held by the US in Afghanistan, Guantanamo Bay and Iraq [JURIST news archives] are supported by medical examinations performed by the group. The exams showed that their subjects currently experience numbness and weakness consistent with extended placement in "stress positions" such as suspension or binding; depression, anxiety, and other mental conditions consistent with severe isolation and psychological abuse; and bone and tissue scarring consistent with specific claims of physical and sexual assault."

http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/paperchase/2008/06/doctors-examine-ex-detainees-find.php
 
#11
Shame they all didn't do a 'Bobby Sands'. Best thing to happen to any terrorist.
 
#12
box-of-frogs said:
Shame they all didn't do a 'Bobby Sands'. Best thing to happen to any terrorist.
As they weren't ever charged - hard to conclude they were all 'terrorists'. And some did go on hunger strikes, but they were force-fed.
 
#13
KevinB said:
PubMaster1 said:
KevinB said:
PubMaster1 said:
read a report that 21% to 27% of those released have returned to one form or another of terrorism
but that was from the pentagon and no specifics were released.
If those detained without charge for years - and subject to such 'techniques' such as stress positions, forced nudity, waterboarding and sleep deprivation - weren't anti-Western to start with - would be no surprise if they are now.
Somewhere and some werent I imagine. Imperfect justice?
Much more serious than that. What was done at Gitmo, Abu Gharab and other prisons was based on W. Bush's 2002 signed decision that the Third Geneva Convention did not apply to al Qaeda or Taliban detainees.
It isn't as if Taliban or Al Qaeda follows any rules so why should the Coalition of the willing treat them any better? US, British, and any force captured by these meffers suffer great torture. Not that is right, but I am sure the US/British etc. treat these a-holes tons better.
 
#14
PubMaster1 said:
read a report that 21% to 27% of those released have returned to one form or another of terrorism
but that was from the pentagon and no specifics were released.
and under the 'soon to exit' administration we all know how reliable pentagon sources are .....Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuahahahaha...anyway who told them?
 
#15
strewth said:
PubMaster1 said:
read a report that 21% to 27% of those released have returned to one form or another of terrorism
but that was from the pentagon and no specifics were released.
and under the 'soon to exit' administration we all know how reliable pentagon sources are .....Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuahahahaha...anyway who told them?
I have it on good authority the Pentagon NEVER lies
 
#16
PubMaster1 said:
strewth said:
PubMaster1 said:
read a report that 21% to 27% of those released have returned to one form or another of terrorism
but that was from the pentagon and no specifics were released.
and under the 'soon to exit' administration we all know how reliable pentagon sources are .....Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuahahahaha...anyway who told them?
I have it on good authority the Pentagon NEVER lies
Wah?
 
#17
KevinB said:
Random_Task said:
I read somewhere that a lot of inmates are in a lot better shape than when they first arrived, thanks to a good diet, medical care, and the fact they are not constantly being shot at.

Obviously evil neo-con lies though.
I don't know about that - this report doesn't give that impression...

"[[JURIST] Physicians For Human Rights [official website] Wednesday released a report [PDF text; executive summary, PDF] saying that abuse and torture claims made by former detainees held by the US in Afghanistan, Guantanamo Bay and Iraq [JURIST news archives] are supported by medical examinations performed by the group. The exams showed that their subjects currently experience numbness and weakness consistent with extended placement in "stress positions" such as suspension or binding; depression, anxiety, and other mental conditions consistent with severe isolation and psychological abuse; and bone and tissue scarring consistent with specific claims of physical and sexual assault."

http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/paperchase/2008/06/doctors-examine-ex-detainees-find.php
Seeing as you are obviously very concerned about the rights of prisoners perhaps you would like to explain why you raised money for an organisation that tortured and murdered every prisoner, civilian or military, it took.

Does your hypocrisy know no bounds?
 
#18
LEGZ30 said:
KevinB said:
Random_Task said:
I read somewhere that a lot of inmates are in a lot better shape than when they first arrived, thanks to a good diet, medical care, and the fact they are not constantly being shot at.

Obviously evil neo-con lies though.
I don't know about that - this report doesn't give that impression...

"[[JURIST] Physicians For Human Rights [official website] Wednesday released a report [PDF text; executive summary, PDF] saying that abuse and torture claims made by former detainees held by the US in Afghanistan, Guantanamo Bay and Iraq [JURIST news archives] are supported by medical examinations performed by the group. The exams showed that their subjects currently experience numbness and weakness consistent with extended placement in "stress positions" such as suspension or binding; depression, anxiety, and other mental conditions consistent with severe isolation and psychological abuse; and bone and tissue scarring consistent with specific claims of physical and sexual assault."

http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/paperchase/2008/06/doctors-examine-ex-detainees-find.php
Seeing as you are obviously very concerned about the rights of prisoners perhaps you would like to explain why you raised money for an organisation that tortured and murdered every prisoner, civilian or military, it took.

Does your hypocrisy know no bounds?
Could be because I had mates who served time in Long Kesh - so yes, I am very concerned with prisoners' rights - all prisoners - and the abuse of government power which gives us such things as Diplock courts and holding men at Gitmo without charge.
 
#19
KevinB said:
LEGZ30 said:
KevinB said:
Random_Task said:
I read somewhere that a lot of inmates are in a lot better shape than when they first arrived, thanks to a good diet, medical care, and the fact they are not constantly being shot at.

Obviously evil neo-con lies though.
I don't know about that - this report doesn't give that impression...

"[[JURIST] Physicians For Human Rights [official website] Wednesday released a report [PDF text; executive summary, PDF] saying that abuse and torture claims made by former detainees held by the US in Afghanistan, Guantanamo Bay and Iraq [JURIST news archives] are supported by medical examinations performed by the group. The exams showed that their subjects currently experience numbness and weakness consistent with extended placement in "stress positions" such as suspension or binding; depression, anxiety, and other mental conditions consistent with severe isolation and psychological abuse; and bone and tissue scarring consistent with specific claims of physical and sexual assault."

http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/paperchase/2008/06/doctors-examine-ex-detainees-find.php
Seeing as you are obviously very concerned about the rights of prisoners perhaps you would like to explain why you raised money for an organisation that tortured and murdered every prisoner, civilian or military, it took.

Does your hypocrisy know no bounds?
Could be because I had mates who served time in Long Kesh - so yes, I am very concerned with prisoners' rights - all prisoners - and the abuse of government power which gives us such things as Diplock courts and holding men at Gitmo without charge.
So why fund raise for an organisation that tortured and murdered prisoners? Don't remember any being taken out of HMP Maze and shot at the side of the road.
 
#20
KevinB said:
Much more serious than that. What was done at Gitmo, Abu Gharab and other prisons was based on W. Bush's 2002 signed decision that the Third Geneva Convention did not apply to al Qaeda or Taliban detainees.
Can't say I've seen any of them being beheaded on Youtube recently.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Outstanding Charities and Welfare 37
Dr_Evil Army Reserve 33
SuperTrooper AGC, RAPTC and SASC 63

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top