• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Closed forums

Captain_Crusty

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I have searched the site to see if this has been asked before but to no avail...

I know there are various closed forums within ARRSE - I am a member of a couple myself.

Is there anyway one can find out a list of them - it may be that there are closed forums out there that I would like to be a member of but don't know exist (does that make grammatical sense?).

The answer will probably be no but worth a try.

C_C

I'm not a member of any :(

Where do I apply?

I know about the Longdon (surely I should qualify?), but I imagine that is just got Flash in there bleating all the time about how "ARRSE used to be" :wink:

And another for the blarts on ARRSE, would hate to go in there!

In addition to those mentioned above there is:

a girls's one (name withheld for fear of insulting not so robust ladies)
Various ACSC/ICSC ones
The Crown Club
An unused one called the something else bar that I can't quite remember
Wiki gurus (wiki admin stuff)
ARRSE development (long unused)
Visual Utopia
Geocaching
Charity organisers

I think that's the lot, but I may have missed something.

Before I start (in case I look too interested :roll: ) I'd like to make it clear that I have no wish to join any hidden forums, except the one I belong to (3RTR). But I notice that group memberships are not necessarily shown on the user's profile. Is that something the user has a setting which they can select or is it a matter of only certain group memberships are displayed?

Some groups are hidden and some aren't, but this is more by luck than judgement when we set them up. We've never really used the Groups system to its full extent so we've never worried about it much.

There is a groups page where you can get a full list of the non-hidden Groups and who's in them:

www.arrse.co.uk/Groups.html

In the relatively near future we will move to more powerful software and I would like to see more use of the groups system. It allows users to form clubs, send messages within them and so on. We've only ever used it as an admin tool or for manual group creation for forums like 3RTR.

smudge67 said:

Where do I apply?

I know about the Longdon (surely I should qualify?), but I imagine that is just got Flash in there bleating all the time about how "ARRSE used to be" :wink:

Maybe we could start a THRUSH Forumn Smudge theres plenty of irritating CNUTS on here at the mo...........before you say thats me included.......can I knock off now its Friday for gods sake.

smudge67 said:

Where do I apply?

You certainly qualify for the Splitarrse forum. Thats full of whining cunts. You should ask the mod of that forum.

Captain_Crusty said:
I know there are various closed forums within ARRSE - I am a member of a couple myself . . .
How do you recognise another member?

Is done with a handshake, or does each "closed forum" have its’ own tie?

RCT(V) said:

I'm a member of one a we recognise each other by the fact that we all have massive c0cks (including the token split arrse, but she has 5 a day).

Or are all massive c0cks.

One of the two.

Aunty Stella said:
RCT(V) said:

I'm a member of one a we recognise each other by the fact that we all have massive c0cks (including the token split arrse, but she has 5 a day).

Or are all massive c0cks.

One of the two.
Mmmmm. No point in me applying to join then 8O

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
smudge67 said:

Where do I apply?

You certainly qualify for the Splitarrse forum. Thats full of whining cunts. You should ask the mod of that forum.
You're alive?!?!

Flash......can I join please ;)

roadster280 said:
Do tell! I can imagine moving a forum with a post count in the millions will be no trivial task. What are you moving to? What prompts the move from Dragonfly?
Almost certainly to the new vbulletin 4 CMS. You're right about the import - a spare server has been chugging away for about 4 days near continuously to import ARRSE to a development system. Currently it's rebuilding the search system.

DF is great but our features wish-list to bring us up to standard is just too big for us to take on even with the direct help from some of the DF key players. It's time to move on and we do have the resources to pay for software now.

Not decided yet are the chat system and gallery, so I'll ask for opinions on that as we get closer to D Day.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Good CO said:
It's time to move on and we do have the resources to pay for software now.
It'll be a relief to all not to be posting on a forum run on Chi-Chi software. Well done. Will the Sh*ds Forum still be a secret after we migrate?

Latest Threads