Close action

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by OldRedCap, Apr 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having something like this makes tool belts redundant I suppose. My first heli flight was in Korea 1955 - the little jobs now only seen in opening of MASH. I never imagined the idea would get to this degree of clever.

2. That is amazing! Any idea what these guys are doing?

3. Really interesting little clip there redcap, cheers.

4. Not one for those who suffer from vertigo :D

5. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lineman_(occupation)

There was footage of other guys knocking ice from power lines during the Ice Storm in Canada a few years back on telly (Five I think) earlier this evening.

6. as long as you maintain a passage for the flow of electricity you are safe.

I work on "low voltage", upto 1000v using gloves and it's safe!?!

Volts are ok.

Amps KILL!

(not sure about the long term efects tho'..my own feelings are it's not healthy!)

7. bliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimey.

8. Cool vid, i left the army in 79 and got a job with the now National grid ,working on the transmission system up to 400,000 kv we work on the conductors ( wires )using trolleys so the yank in the vid had his work cut out simming along .Great job in the summer not so winter but great lads good team work( just like the forces )We use baskets suspended beneath the helicopter and then thats landed onto the conductors

9. Lostanddazed (Is that cos you are as old and dazed as me?). Never knew that we did such things in this country. Amazed it has not been publicized here. It fascinated me. I thought the heli flying was cool until I saw the guy do his stuff. Danger money? Civdiv X-factor paid?

10. Lostanddazed (Is that cos you are as old and dazed as me?).

Yes afraid so :eek: this country its called live line working ( ideas adopted from the french) We also work dead line working but even though the power is switched off the conductors still carry up to 900 amps so we earth everything .As the guy in the vid said its all procedures and practice great job i was really lucky to get it ,2 jobs since leavimg school ; Army & this one