Cloned e-mail address.

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by mon_colonel, Jul 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any computer boffins out there can help me with this, I looked in my Hotmail sent box and noticed a sh*tload of e-mails had been sent out by some oriental company touting for business using my e-mail address, I've been using the address for business for years so I'm loathe to bin it.
    My question is how can I get rid off the unwanted user and stop it happening again ?

Any advice apprectiated
  2. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

So obvious that I don't doubt you've already done it but immediate change of password?
  3. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

If your email address had been cloned, then the posts would not have shown up in your sent box.

The usual scam is to pick someone else's email addy, and use it as the reply address for throw away spam, usually with an embedded image so that they can trace live email addresses.

Are you sure that you meant your 'Sent Box'? Because if you did someone has hacked your account, and is sending emails directly from it. If this is the case, you need to change the password and inform the Hotmail admins ASAP, so that your account does not get suspended/deleted for spamming.

If you did not before, pick a stronger password; and no you cannot have my bank account details to send me my 10% reward!
  4. I'll get on the change of password asap, what happened was I noticed a load of delivery failed mails in the inbox, so curious I looked in the sentbox and saw a load of e-mails had been sent out with my address as sender.
    Thanx for the advice lets see how it goes
  5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

That's fairly standard, and what I was suggesting above. It usually means that someone has used your own address as their reply address, but sent the emails from their own account/server. This means that you get all the non delivery and rejected spam messages, about which you can do nothing except delete them.

That is far more serious. If you have the sent mails as well, then your account has been hacked. You must tell the Hotmail admin team, and advise that it was not you sending the spam. If you rely on your account for business you do not want to lose it!
  6. Many thanx Gremlin much appreciated have done as you advised.
  7. If you are talking about a Hotmail account then your account has fallen foul to the age old "out of office trick", go to the email through your web browser,(don't use the standalone livemail application) and under options there is a hyperlink to vacation notification.

You will probably see that this is filled with the "Hi I'm from a reputable company selling cheap a$$ed electronic sh!te", just delete all the text or change it to something else but remember to uncheck the box that says notify everyone every 4 days and then save.