CLM Part 1 & Substantive Dates

Is there any benefit to loading into a CLM prior to posting at a higher rank? Understand substantive rank is backdated to date of AO if CLM is done after posting.

Does it work the other way around? ie substantive backdated to date of CLM completion even though not in higher rank PID yet?

Basically trying to work out if its worth pushing my current unit for a place on a CLM now, or just wait for my new unit to load me as and when. Is there any advantage for completing early?

Any advice much appreciated.

Buddy!

Old-Salt
What cap badge and rank are you? This is a common MS error... Substantive rank / seniority date is the date you complete the appropriate CLM course. For example, I've seen numerous Soldiers put off going on a CLM course, only to eventually discover that they are delaying promotion to the next rank as they do not meet the seniority cut-off dates. I don't believe it works the other way around.

If it were me, I'd push to attend all CLM courses at the earliest opportunity.

Is there any benefit to loading into a CLM prior to posting at a higher rank? Understand substantive rank is backdated to date of AO if CLM is done after posting.

Does it work the other way around? ie substantive backdated to date of CLM completion even though not in higher rank PID yet?

Basically trying to work out if its worth pushing my current unit for a place on a CLM now, or just wait for my new unit to load me as and when. Is there any advantage for completing early?

Any advice much appreciated.
You should always push for a CLM course, if you pass it and then break your leg a day later you wont be deselected. To many people put it off pick up an injury and then lose their promotion. If you fail it, you might get a second chance to go back before the end of the promotion year.
Its also handy going to a new unit fully qualified and being ready to go, rather than rock up and having to miss out on something gucci because you need to do a promotion course.

I seen quite a few people being deselected because they didnt take their CLM at their first opportunity.

I was not loaded onto a CLM due to a CoC error, and will not be able to undertake the next couple of courses due to deployment. Essentially I am now unable to complete before the end of the promotion year.

Was being told I haven't been disadvantaged as I won't be in post until after I return. However, as suspected, it looks like I will lose a years seniority due to the 'oversight'.

Thanks for the info/advice.

I was not loaded onto a CLM due to a CoC error, and will not be able to undertake the next couple of courses due to deployment. Essentially I am now unable to complete before the end of the promotion year.

Was being told I haven't been disadvantaged as I won't be in post until after I return. However, as suspected, it looks like I will lose a years seniority due to the 'oversight'.

Thanks for the info/advice.
If I was you I'd get something in writing and apply for your CLM extension now. Unless the rules have recently changed you will automatically be deselected after a year from the board results.
Being on tour isnt always a valid reason for being granted an extension.

Buddy!

Old-Salt
If I was you I'd get something in writing and apply for your CLM extension now. Unless the rules have recently changed you will automatically be deselected after a year from the board results.
Being on tour isnt always a valid reason for being granted an extension.
Correct. APC have also had a crackdown on this recently.

Correct. APC have also had a crackdown on this recently.
The RLC had a crackdown a few years ago and kept it going, too many people avoided it for 10 months then went on a tour/got injured/tried getting on the last course which was full.
The day the board came out I had all my juniors putting their name down for the first available course.

Buddy!

Old-Salt
The day the board came out I had all my juniors putting their name down for the first available course.
Makes sense!

Knowledge of the spectrum of MS matters (a.k.a. taking responsibility for your career) needs to be improved across JNCO level and below. I still find it hard to fathom that personnel are missing out on promotion boards due to lack of JPA competencies! I'd argue that if an individual can't manage their own MS issues, then, are they ready to be a SNCO?

Makes sense!

Knowledge of the spectrum of MS matters (a.k.a. taking responsibility for your career) needs to be improved across JNCO level and below. I still find it hard to fathom that personnel are missing out on promotion boards due to lack of JPA competencies! I'd argue that if an individual can't manage their own MS issues, then, are they ready to be a SNCO?
In fairness its ODR that needs updating and normally only a select handful of people have access, (In my sqn, it was me and the SSM), before I took it over, there was numerous times that people had to repeat MATTs because it wasnt in the system. Some units dont have the correct instructors.
Having said that, if someone is promoted, nothing should stop them getting the admin sorted even if it does mean repeating some MATTs.

Buddy!

Old-Salt
In fairness its ODR that needs updating and normally only a select handful of people have access, (In my sqn, it was me and the SSM), before I took it over, there was numerous times that people had to repeat MATTs because it wasnt in the system. Some units dont have the correct instructors.
Having said that, if someone is promoted, nothing should stop them getting the admin sorted even if it does mean repeating some MATTs.
Yep, I view MATTs / ODR as a separate issue, but yes, I definitely see how this causes loads of dramas with those loaded onto CLM courses who need to evidence green on MATTs.

'Self Service' needs to become more of what it claims to be in the title.

We were informed Glasgow would load us and we just had to wait. All MATTs in date. JPA is up to date. ODR is correct.

I should have been priority loading in Dec for a career course in Jan (which I then had to withdraw from). Have not been loaded into the following course, and will now be deployed for the course after that.

MATTs are still all in date. I'm being told theres nothing I can do, and will have to post as acting. Its particularly frustrating as people are being RTU'd off courses for not being up to date.

We were informed Glasgow would load us and we just had to wait. All MATTs in date. JPA is up to date. ODR is correct.

I should have been priority loading in Dec for a career course in Jan (which I then had to withdraw from). Have not been loaded into the following course, and will now be deployed for the course after that.

MATTs are still all in date. I'm being told theres nothing I can do, and will have to post as acting. Its particularly frustrating as people are being RTU'd off courses for not being up to date.
Are you going to be on a course before the next board is released?

No. There is two more running this promotion year (after the March one I haven't been loaded onto) and I will be away for both. Hence the supposed priority for the courses earlier in the year.

No. There is two more running this promotion year (after the March one I haven't been loaded onto) and I will be away for both. Hence the supposed priority for the courses earlier in the year.
Have you been told you will be deselected or has an extension been applied for.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
conco The Training Wing 3
X RLC 11
conco The Training Wing 5

Latest Threads