• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Clinton named secretary of state....

so she got her old job back eh?

CharlieBubbles said:
"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer"
Very true! Clearly not done yet - as far as her bigger ambitions go. Didn't work for Caesar though - keep them close but no closer than arms length!

All the back-slapping euphoria of the Obama election is now over and his first job, before he even comes to power, is to unite his party. What better way than to give a top job to someone whom enjoyed the support of almost half the party? Not sure how good it is for the rest of the world but it's good domestic politics.

politically astute from both sides, he gets to unite the party, she gets in a good postition to run for the top job in 8 years time.

batfink said:
politically astute from both sides, he gets to unite the party, she gets in a good postition to run for the top job in 8 years time.
But in 8 years she will be 69. McCain took a lot of criticism for his age which is only a couple of years older than she will be then. The appointment seems a bit odd as she has no official experience in foreign relations. In her 8 years as a Senator she served on 5 Senate committees but not on the foreign relations committee. She was married to a president but I have never heard she had clearance to sit in on the president's classified briefings. Before the White House she was a partner in a very dodgy law firm.

The appointment is purely political. I suspect that Obama wants to please 1) women, 2) several NY Dems who want to run for her vacant seat.

But in 8 years she will be 69.

That is true, but will Mr President still be with us, or will he be another tragic statistic of a high velocity shot from the grassy knoll!
She is now in the wings and any thing can happen in the next four years.

For more speculation on things to come security policy wise:
http://www.ndc.nato.int/download/publications/RP_43EN.pdf
(eeh, I think the author is German - may explain some of the conclusions)

"Reading the political tealeaves, it is reasonable to
expect President Barack Obama to pursue a
foreign policy of liberal internationalism. As in the
Clinton years – and with much of the personnel of
the 1990s – the emphasis will be on institution building
and the engagement of partners and
opponents alike. For NATO, this means three
things: First, a push for further enlargement, but
without the harsh rhetoric and ideological zeal of
the Bush administration. Second, an increased
effort to bring the OEF and ISAF mandates in
Afghanistan to success. Third, a sustained U.S.
campaign to define NATO as a global security
provider, especially in the context of humanitarian
interventions."

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
Can anyone tell me if Sec of state is in the line of succession for president in the event of multiple "accidental" deaths at the top?

Bouillabaisse said:
Can anyone tell me if Sec of state is in the line of succession for president in the event of multiple "accidental" deaths at the top?
The Secretary of State is number three... number four is the speaker of the house so we might be facing a nightmare of Hillary and Pelosi as president and VP.

DavidBOC said:
batfink said:
But in 8 years she will be 69. McCain took a lot of criticism for his age which is only a couple of years older than she will be then. The appointment seems a bit odd as she has no official experience in foreign relations. In her 8 years as a Senator she served on 5 Senate committees but not on the foreign relations committee. She was married to a president but I have never heard she had clearance to sit in on the president's classified briefings. Before the White House she was a partner in a very dodgy law firm.

The appointment is purely political. I suspect that Obama wants to please 1) women, 2) several NY Dems who want to run for her vacant seat.
Ah come on David, 'Billery' what a team to have on your side !

As for Foreign Relations, didn't she once fly to some country east of the Adirondaks arriving in a blaze of gunfire? Or was that one of her PR folks?
Didn't she singlehandedly sort out the 'Irish Problem' ? :D
As for Rosewater........ "I have no memory blah blah............"

Khyros said:
Bouillabaisse said:
The Secretary of State is number three... number four is the speaker of the house so we might be facing a nightmare of Hillary and Pelosi as president and VP.
I seem to remember this question comming up when Regan was shot and Haig said something to the effect of "I'm in charge now" the general response was "No you are not pal" I think at the time he was said to be about 6th in line with the speaker of the house, the seate majority leader and some other bod ahead of him