Clint Eastwood backs mediation for PTSD

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by codbutt, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Very interesting - Clint Eastwood has launched a campaign to bring Transcendental Meditation to soldiers suffering PTSD in America.

David Lynch tackles post-traumatic stress with transcendental meditation | Film | The Guardian

To the cynics, I can only say that I've been doing this for 20 years, and it's excellent. I used to have skin trouble related to stress which flared up when I was having trouble coping with training in the military, and it helped me a great deal. The Swedish Air Force offer it to their pilots.

2. [/QUOTE]The Swedish Air Force offer it to their pilots.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I can see the Swedish Airforce needing it after dropping all that Napalm on the Faroe Islands. Anybody else seeing the tiny flaw in trying to get British and American combat troops to engage in a spot of Yogic Flying with Guru Biduvar Koksarkar.

3. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

WTF do a bunch of poofy thespians know about PTSD, Clint mate it was a film, you never really went to war,those scarry loud bangs were f'cking blanks, and that wasn't real blood, you spent your time in the Army hanging around a swimming pool and the plane crash wasn't really that traumatic

4. Clint Eastwood backs mediation for PTSD

Meditation.

Don't knock it, mate. They may be a bunch of pouffy thespians, but they are obscenely rich pouffy thespians and if Clint is prepared to contribute his dollars and the use of his famous mug-shot to a cause that he hopes will help, then good for him. It is far more than you will be getting from most of your countrymen or the goverment that you served in the event that should find yourself traumatized and confused as a result of your experiences in hot and hostile places.

"Some studies say that about one third of soldiers coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan suffer PTSD."
    Bollocks; one third are diagnosed and treated maybe. More like 90%+ suffer stress affecting their family and employment and many resort to self-medication with alcohol. Some will kill themselves.

Meditation; circuit training for the brain.

I see they've recruited Russell Brand; that will make all the difference.

5. Only survivior of a Crash at sea isn't traumatic? ohh the internet hardman -you must be the 2nd guy on the Balcony, eh?

6. I'm not a poofy thespian! but I am a female civilian (is that worse?) in a team of meditation teachers who are offering free meditation courses and days for servicemen and women in the UK - please see London Meditation Project | Meditation for our Veterans. If you want to ask me about my understanding of PTSD and how meditation might help please feel free to contact us.

We have begun with some meditation work with guys connected to Surf Action in Cornwall who are fantastic too and there to bring smiles to faces of combat veterans by getting them together surfing on the Cornwall coast - see their video at: Surf Action Org

I am also part of the Soldiers' Heart community - Soldiers Heart is another fantastic project in the US that we could do with over here, working for the healing of PTSD.

7. Whether meditation is "poofy" is a matter of taste and entirely irrelevant in the context of this thread. What is crucial is whether such an approach to the treatment of PTSD has a sound empirical basis e.g. peer reviewed publication of RCT results. There are evidence based treatments already available such as EMDR and Trauma-focussed CBT. I would advise anyone considering this approach to their problems to think carefully about it and look at the evidence.

Is there any convincing evidence that it at least doesn't make people worse?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Both he and the pilot swam the 3 miles to Reyes point.... thats what it says in wiki!

9. OI!

Its MR. Eastwood.

10. Is there any convincing evidence for meditation working with PTSD sufferers? Extremely valuable question.

Well, there's this: YouTube - DHCC iRest for Wounded Warriors at Walter Reed Army Medical Center (iRest is a form of meditation also known as 'Yoga Nidra' or yogic sleep/conscious deep relaxation)
    and this: YouTube - iRest with veterans - clip from The American Veteran
    and this: London Meditation Project | Testimonials
    and I hope there will be more evidence gathered, as those who feel meditation might help them find out for themselves.

If you like ancient tradition and stories, there's 2,500 years of meditation practice in the Buddhist tradition - of course not all those meditators were combat veterans, but there were devastated bereaved mothers, powerful and violent kings and a man with a necklace of fingers collected from all the people he had killed, who all (against their own expectations) became enlightened disciples of the Buddha - wise and compassionate and able to share their wisdom with others. Basically they had the same human tendencies of mind we all have, and the same potential for release from our suffering.

I think it's a very important question you are asking - especially about the possibility of something 'making people worse'. My feeling, having been through some strong physical and emotional trauma and associated grief, sleeplessness, guilt, shame, shock, confusion and depression myself, is that meditation does have a very real place in the healing process from intense suffering - but it is not a stand-alone cure and I don't believe any one thing is - unless you were to use a very broad and general term like 'LOVE', by which I would include non-judgement, understanding, patience, physical kindness and care, deep listening, empathy, forgiveness and encouragement and more. I have not yet met any human being who disproved the natural fact that a healing process takes some time. Meditation is not suggested if someone is having psychotic episodes. It is not recommended when someone is extremely depressed - though even then I have seen and experienced myself that meditation in the form of body relaxation, in a safe, caring and trusted group context, can be a great blessing and give hope and relief from isolation and pain. I went through months of self-blame of a devastating order in my own traumatic experience, and I have to say that the extraordinary warmth, honesty and courage of veterans I have met, facing into their own experience, has deeply encouraged me to begin to find real forgiveness and care for myself.

These are my thoughts on your question from experience. In meditation as in any healing process, connection with a community of caring and trusted others makes a very important difference. In my experience, participating in a meditation group can support such important connections to be made, and these can last a lifetime. Meditation is not the only way that peace with one's life experience can be found, but it can be helpful.

This is a quote from Vietnamese Mindfulness teacher Thich Naht Hanh that I really respect and which shows a meditative attitude of honouring the path of combat veterans.

"Veterans are the light at the tip of the candle, illuminating the way for the whole nation. If veterans can achieve awareness, transformation, understanding, and peace, they can share with the rest of society the realities of war. And they can teach us how to make peace with ourselves and each other, so we never have to use violence to resolve conflicts again".

11. Sorry - what is this about?

Mediation or meditation?

12. Thank **** for that. I thought my eyes were going!

13. Neuroscientific evidence as to the benefits of meditation, and UK veterans' testimonials:

Meditation really can change the brain, study finds:
    Meditation really can change the brain, study finds

"It is good - it helps me with all the that things I have been bottling up for years on end. I feel it is helping a lot and I feel a little bit better after each session. We should learn it from day one to help with the PTSD"
    Veteran, Northern Ireland

"I think meditation could help me and other combat veterans with managing memories and triggers, and with sleep and relaxation. I have found the meditation teaching very clear and the most important thing about the sessions is the relaxation and calmness. I found the meditation useful, relaxing, and it was good to have other thoughts."
    Veteran, Iraq and Afghanistan

"Meditation can help you relax and come to terms with yourself. All the parts of the session are helpful in their own part - quiet time, learning new relaxation and meditation skills, open discussion, and being together in an atmosphere of trust. I am enjoying the practices and I would definitely recommend this to other veterans."

14. Meditation really can change the brain, study finds

"It is good - it helps me with all the that things I have been bottling up for years on end. I feel it is helping a lot and I feel a little bit better after each session. We should learn it from day one to help with the PTSD"

"I think meditation could help me and other combat veterans with managing memories and triggers, and with sleep and relaxation. I have found the meditation teaching very clear and the most important thing about the sessions is the relaxation and calmness. I found the meditation useful, relaxing, and it was good to have other thoughts."
    Veteran, Iraq and Afghanistan

15. To be fair to Catherine, she has a point. Meditation helps me sleep at night.......oh, hang-on. That's Jack Daniels. That's what I meant. "Jack Daniels helps me sleep at night"

Sorry.

Meditation my arrse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.