Clinical Psychologists

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by itsfantastic, May 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there, just a query out of curiosity. Is it true that those appplying to join up as a clinical psychologist in the army don't need a degree? Thats a bit strange isn't it? My dad's a civvy clinical psychologist and was at uni until he was 28(Daft nonce in my opinion but there you go!).
  2. The British Army does not employ uniformed clinical psychologists, so no, you can't join with or without a degree.
  3. Oh right. Whats this all about then?

Edited, as my dyslexia finally reveals itself
  4. I`m confused?

Is it just me?

Do I need a psychologist?

In space can anyone hear you squeem & squeem?

I am near the end of a very long late shift & my mind is numb!
  5. something you want to share with the group?
  6. civvy clinical psychologists, bunch of c*nts, how can they assess someone who's been in the Army unless they've been in themselves. Oh and they are a bunch of c*nts. W*nkers.
  7. Curious as to why you need to have served to be able to treat a serviceman/woman?
  8. Service life is very different to civvy street and applying civvie "standards" to someone who's been in along time isn't right IMO. Have I mentioned it, they're c*nts.
  9. I would say, IMHO, that most cancer surgeons, brain surgeons and the like have not had to face the diseases that they are trained to treat themselves. As a copper I have never been raped but I am trained in how to deal with rape victims and I have done so with some good feedback. NASA pilots before they launch into space have never been there before and yet have conducted many successful space missions. So either you are a nutter and have had a problem after being refused leave of Broadmoor etc or you are talking bollox Mr Armourer.

10. Certainly the services recruit from the rest of society.

What is not implicit, is that the rest of society are able to relate to some of the challenges and traumas that servicemen have had to come to terms with.

I have seen numersous professional civilian practitioners rendered spechless when they have been briefed on:

a. The responsibilities and duties of servicemen.

b. The type and scale of psycholigical trauma servicemen have been confronted with. ( Rwanda, the Krajnas etc , etc)

For example, we are still finding escape-aids hidden on our site, by a serviceman, who was discharged 10 years ago, but had emerged from a coma, thinking he was a PoW in captivity.

The civilian staff are completely dumbfounded having no concept of life in captivity, never mind the duties of a PoW

One size does not fit all, unless boelynbulldog, you are an accountant perchance?

For once, I might venture that the armourer and I are coming at this from the same direction, and some of the rest of you are a shade out of step?

11. Besides most Trick Cyclists I have met are as mad as a fish so how does the old catch phrase go, 'It takes a thief to catch a thief' 8O 8O 8O 8O

All my personalities agree. The vote is carried by all 4 of us. Wibble!

12. The very nature of this web site makes us all schizophrenic.
  13. Having seen the damage some civvie psychologists do to service personnel, due to not understanding the military, I feel that in psych services there is a need for those who attempt to treat to have served. You may not need to be a rapist or burglar to be a police officer but psych is a totally different thing (I am deliberately excluding forensic psych patients in my reply as you do not have to be a criminal to assist them, in fact they need a different kind of assistance entirely).

The biggest issue is the personnel themselves do not trust civvies as they feel "they ain't been there they don't understand what I went through". Having serving psychs available for personnel to see easily and quickly is something I have been agitating for a long time, to no avail. Until they change that the closest thing will continue to be the chaplains that attach to units and go out with them in theatre.
  14. Thanks for that. :wink:
  15. Hi all, long time reader, first time poster. Hope people don't mind if I
    make a few observations on this thread.

To deal with the original post, clinical psychologists need training to
    Masters Degree level to be professionally recognised and registered in the UK. There is no such thing as a non-degree psychologist (although I have met a few people in my time who think they are...).

The regular army is not recruiting uniformed pschologists at present.
    As far as I am aware, there are no plans to do so. The TA, on the other
    hand, is. I believe they are to be RAMC cap badged. There has only been
    one recruited so far. He's in 256 (London) FH.

On the topic of civvy psychologists (and by implication civvy doctors and MH nurses) working with service personnel, I offer the following observations for consideration-

1) Most civvy psychologists work for the MOD for long periods of time.
    By the nature of their work with service patients and alongside service
    health care staff, they gain a far better insight into military life
    than most other MOD civil servants, let alone the general public. I am
    also aware that most of them make the effort to get out on exercise or
    even visit Operational Theatres to see what happens in units stationed
    on their patch.

2) A common misconception is that military DCMHs (Departments of Community Mental Health) spend all their time dealing with psychological trauma related to Ops and war fighting. In fact, it is a very small proportion
    of casework. A small amount of time is taken up with the type of stuff the NHS sees e.g. schizophrenia, manic-depression, etc. The bulk of the work however is more- how shall I put this- 'soap opera' e.g. "my wife is going to leave me", "my wife wont leave me", "I've fallen in love with my wife's new boyfriend", "my corporal is being nasty to me", "the man in the careers office said I could leave whenever I wanted" and so on. In summary it's about the trials of life, and whether you wear a uniform or not is probably immaterial in most cases.

3) Multidisciplinary team working is really big nowadays. It's unlikely that
    a service person would see a psychologist directly as a fresh case. A
    psychiatrist and CPN would also be involved. There's a good chance that
    at least one of them would be uniformed. Besides which, if a punter really
    doesn't want to deal with civvies in that situation, they can ask to change
    clinicians. It happens occasionally, but usually it's about personality clashes
    rather than the colour of the clothes people turn up to work in.

4) The acid test is probably in the reaction of the punters. Mental health
    work isn't easy. You have to deal with distressed and distressing people. In addition, the occupational setting of military psychiatry means that a lot
    of disgruntled people get seen. They often take out their frustration with
    the armed forces or life in general on the obvious and available targets i.e
    the MH staff. Overall however, I'd say that most punters are happy with the
    service they get from uniformed AND civilian DCMH staff.

I'd be interested to hear if others have any views on these issues.
    BTW- I'm not a psychologist!