CLINICAL HOURS: Do we get enough? (RNs, ODPs & CMTs)

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by The_ODP, Feb 19, 2008.

?
  1. Yes (I feel that I get enough to remain current)

40.9%
  2. No (I am concerned about my practice)

27.3%
  3. No (but I am sure I will pick it up quickly enough on tour)

31.8%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK! this will probaly kick up S*it storm like the "Nurses in Field Units" did but do you feel you are getting enough clinical exposure to carry out your role confidently?

Do you feel that the expected clinical hours by the NMC and HPC are enough to keep you up to date with the ever changing clinical environment?

Do you think the COC is approachable enough to express your concern if your not getting enough clinical time?

Is the COC doing enough to provide you with a balanced training programme to cover, not only your clinical area but also military training (field units and MDHUs)?

Do the CMTs feel that they get enough medical training (hands on real casualties) to be confident when they meet their first casulaty on tour?

2. Hey we are getting enough exposure that is the 3rd time you have posted in as many minutes! Don't suffer from a stutter do you? :)

3. M, m, m, m Maybe!

4. can you delete the other 2 threads before anyone replies in them and one of the Mods has to do it for you. Id do it but its not my forum.

5. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

And dont you forget it, House husband.

6. do I as an RN do enough clinical hours ?

up to 12 hours a shift - 5 / 6 days a week - I'd say YES ! and did

meeting NMC criteria - this hasnt changed in the 20 years ive been shovelling 1T. The fact that you wear the capbadge and work for the service does count, but you wont get tri-service agreement on that

7. My wife works in an Army medical centre, as a clerk. It is quite clear from the meetings she attends and the general attitude of the medical staff that the medical centre is run to suit the doctors and the needs of the patients very definitely come second. I seem to remember being taught, a very long time ago, that an officers priorities are the soldiers first, senior ranks second and officers last. But perhaps not in the RAMC.

8. My wife works in an Army medical centre, as a clerk. It is quite clear from the meetings she attends and the general attitude of the medical staff that the medical centre is run to suit the doctors and the needs of the patients very definitely come second. I seem to remember being taught, a very long time ago, that an officers priorities are the soldiers first, senior ranks second and officers last. But perhaps not in the RAMC.

9. "quote="Bedpan2zero"]do I as an RN do enough clinical hours ?

up to 12 hours a shift - 5 / 6 days a week - I'd say YES ! and did

meeting NMC criteria - this hasnt changed in the 20 years ive been shovelling 1T. The fact that you wear the capbadge and work for the service does count, but you wont get tri-service agreement on that"

BP20 Explain the third paragraph please.I think you may have just finished your 6th 12 hour shift in a row!

10. Tricky one this TODP, try as I might I cant find any clear prescibed set hours... What are the expected clinical hours set by the HPC for ODPs, you obviously know, please share...

Do you? Have you tried? It should be part of your Appraisal process... If you dont ask you'll never know; try it you might be pleasantly surprised.

Have you not read the DGAMS Operational Training Directive? Your unit has several, I know as I have given your line manager a copy. PM me if you cant get hold of it and I'll send you it.

11. Hi Leviticus,

Your right Leviticus there are no set hours and the HPC informed me that you could work one day of the two year cycle and still remain registered. A bit worrying but that is what they said. They also informed me that it is down to the trust whether or not they will employ or give you a placement depending on your clinical time in the year.

I have tried on a number of occasions to ask for more clinical time but have been declined (not by the cadre) by the unit as there were more pressing matters i.e. Kenya, were I was expected to carry out primary health care. It wasn't a difficult job but well out of my scope of practice and I feel I would have benefited more from a hospital placement. If there was a surgical aspect to the trip I would have been happier.

I have read DGAMS Operational Training Directive and seen that things are happening including the clinical placement every six months and maybe now that it is spread out practitioners may not suffer such a skill fade. I am not saying all suffer but it is always a topic of conversation.

Kind regards.

12. Could i ask, what speciality are you? ....I'm just curious!

13. a very generalist general nurse

jack of all trades like, why ?

also just curious

14. I dont think I get enough clinical hours, becuase after 12 months of pleading my case and fighting the bosses to get clinical time I have recieved zero hours clinical. When I go on tour I will be covering a primary care post with a shed load of administration added onto it to reduce my patient contact down to minimal levels.

So as a result I will be redressing this with my CO, bye bye to my career in the immediate future, but this needs to be done. Nurses in field units is a waste of time if this is the way it is implemented, or is my regiment an exception poplation my brass who either dont care about the NMC/DGAMS policy or are too feeble minded or spinless to support it.

I know that this is a bit of a rant, but I have much better things to do with my time when I am at work than write letters to my bosses begging for training I should get automatically.

But hey, I could always deskill and chill out doing fook all like some of my ams counterparts seem to do. :D

15. oy, leave bed pan alone - i've seen how hard he works!!! by the way, i just finished doing a 120hr shift.