Climbing Trousers

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Vaughany, Mar 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone reccomend a good pair of climbing trousers with reinforced knees? I've worn through two pairs of Craghoppers and one pair of North Face in the past 8 months.
    Also, i'm a cash strapped student so price is an issue.

2. Can I recommend a pair of Barbour moleskin breeks ?

I've been using the same pair for well over ten years of climbing now.
  3. Buy a sewing machine and reinforce your keks :?:

Cordura panels on the knees would do the business and you could replace the panels as often as required.

Think back to your schooldays, what did your Geography teacher do to the elbows of his tweed jacket :?: :D
  4. Look for the MONTANE trousers.

Very good and ideal for what you want
  5. montane, not sure of the model, best trousers I've ever had!
  6. I would recommend german army moleskin climbing breeks - good quality, cheap, although not reinforced at the knee because they end at the knee, but I'v e used them 20+ years, and unlike most civi climbing trousers they have map pockets and are a reasonable colour (feld grau!!)
  7. or you could get some pitch and do your legs and flat roof at the same time....Viz top tip.
  8. If you are climbing with your knees, you are doing it wrong and risking your kneecaps. Simple - get your technique sorted.
  9. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

Pretty much.

Your knees aren't of any use in climbing, other than perhaps occaisonally getting up over a ledge (I've found), and even then they're not ideal.

Do you use your elbows to jam?
  10. They've ripped when I was bouldering. I know I need to get technique sorted but need harder wearing trousers in the meantime.
    I'll look into the Montane ones. Not sure about the length though.

11. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

mammut - look in sales.
  12. Montane are the business. Try looking on they often have really great deals there.

I have used all sorts of equipment from Keith at Extreme (mention you are Forces) over the years and these trousers are on the Donegal.
    These Ranger trousers are made to measure and fecking bombproof.
    Its because they are so hard wearing i havent bought another set in ten years!

Happy hunting.