Climbing Question

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Whiskey_60, Apr 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello chaps,

Looking for some oppinions.

I'm not training for anything in particular at the moment, I'm STAB Infantry so my program is designed around maintaining a decent level of fitness.

Currently my PT program is 5 days a week with 2 days running, 1 day TAB, and 2 days weight training/bodyweight circuits.

Recently a friend introduced me to indoor rock climbing and i have to say i'm really enjoying it and after a good 4 hour session - the day after I wake up with that nice all over pain that tells you "yes... that was a beasting".

Now, my question is what is your general oppinion on climbing as a substitute to one of my upperbody weight/circuit training days? Will it effectively target the muscle groups i'm likely to need in my TA role?

Bone question, yes - but most of mine are!

Thanks in anticipation of your usual support and advice!

W-60

2. To be honest, I can't think of representative training that is better suited to the Inf role. You're obviously working your upper body, but you'll also get a very good strength, endurance AND cardiovascular workout. As long as you make sure you do carry out a proper warm up and cool down, then there's absolutely no reason not to 'count' this as a training session. Just remember the adage: "Get fit to play sport, don't play sport to get fit." (cheesy, I know!)

Tango

editted to add: Indoor Climbing Website <- That website has a lot of information on training for climbing and even a good selection of stretches to carry out. I admit my knowledge of climbing is pretty limited!

3. Long time ago I used to do a lot of climbing / skiing / mountaineering. I didn't do any gym work at all and to be honest, I've never been fitter than at that time.

Doing a "work out" on the wall is going to do more all over for you IMHO - if you climb hard and don't offer to be the belay man!

Good luck!

4. Thanks alot lads, that confirms what the all over morning after pain was telling me then!

Tango cheers for the website, I'm just flicking through it now and it's got some good information on it.

W-60