Climbing in Essex

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Timble, Jun 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Soon off to sunny Essex - was wondering if there were any crags/sea cliffs worth climbing in the area. If not, any good indoor walls?
  2. Err, Essex is a bit on the flat side ! Depends where you are, I belive there is a climbing wall at the Uni of Essex in Colchester.

3. Most of coast of Essex is mud flats, with some crumbly mud cliffs at Walton on the Naze - definitely not suitable for climbing.

BMC produces a guide to climbing walls in the UK, both indoors and outdoors - see Download whole country or region(s). Lists climbing walls in Essex at University of Essex & GoBananas Play, Colchester; Harlow Outdoor Education Centre; Clements Hall Leisure Centre, Hockley; Stubbers Outdoor Centre, Upminster; Fairplay Outdoor Education Centre, Witham.
  4. Had a worrying feeling there'd be not much about. Still, gives me more excuse for trips further north. Cheers.
  5. If you're in Essex then the nearest place to rock climb proper is over in Kent. Just outside Tunbridge Wells approx 25 mins from the river crossing (and Essex).

Apart from that Essex itself offers no rock climbing facilities. The best climbing walls locally I think you'll find in London.
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Over there you will need the telephone number for Eley Mountain rescue
  7. Bear in mind that all the climbing in Kent is on friable sandstone, which means that you can only top rope the climbs (you're not allowed to place gear on lead anywhere). You will need a static rope to set up the top rope, plus a long sling (the top rope shouldn't be in contact with the edge of the crag). There's a good new guide (Southern Sandstone or something like that). It's a bit different from traditional lead climbing and the majority of the climbs are technically quite hard (5a onwards) and short - i.e. 10-15m. A useful tip would be to bring a doormat for brushing your feet as your start any climb, otherwise because of the sand you will have b*gger all grip.

Personally I would go to the climbing walls in London, either Mile End or the Castle in Stoke Newington - both of which are excellent, and then try to go to the Peak District for the odd weekend. Somewhere like the Roaches in Staffordshire is only a couple of hours plus from London and the climbing is outstanding (try the Sloth...).

Best of luck